Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foot injuries are the hardest to give an outlook on. I've had them myself. 1 month or 12 - surgery or not - resurgery? Career ending? It's all unclear. I'm not surprised at all with how it's unfolded, nor have I been with Jack Henry's issues.
Spot on. I honestly believe they did not know either. Rest, rest, rest, no response, surgery...,

It's actually commendable that you have the imagination to see my outlook on this as aggressive. As I've explained every time you choose to mock my viewpoint on this, it doesn't keep me up at night nor have me afflicted by conniptions as I contemplate the horrendous injustice of it all.

It just seems incredibly silly that the club carries on obfuscating in this area, when every other club embraces the simple opportunity to provide a decent measure of timely and comprehensive information to their supporters. So I suppose I'll go on pointing that out, and you'll go on suggesting that I'm losing my mind over it all.

Should be fun.
Can you show us the evidence though?
The last 4 injury reports that we read for example, what is missing? The exact date of RTP?

The last 4 injury reports that we read for example, what is missing? The exact date of RTP?
I think LLoyd has been first class this year,answers each and every question asked of him.I do understand how some would be frustrated with that AFL list that comes out each week best not to look at that it's in my opinion pretty lazy and not of much value.

Spot on. I honestly believe they did not know either. Rest, rest, rest, no response, surgery...,

An injury like turf toe is hard put a return time on also - if all goes well it can be 2 -> 3 weeks rest and then it's a return to training & playing

If there's no response that's when they look at surgery but that also means an extended time out - after it was announced that C. Guthrie was having surgery I read a crazy number of comments questioning why they didn't do that immediately

It doesn't matter the type of surgery, there's always a seriousness to it and the risk of complications - it's rarely a first resort even though some seem to think that it should be if the alternatives don't work

Several players have gone through cycles of being entirely absent from the list for weeks at a time again this year. Shannon Neale has played nothing more than a few cameo moments all season, and yet he hasn't appeared on an injury list at all in recent times. After a lengthy absence, Flynn Kroeger was 'discovered' again, all of a month ago. And Guth has been routinely omitted from injury lists as well during his extended time out. On top of those examples, we're now also back to Willis being the latest incarnation of Josh Cowan. I could go on, but it becomes almost as tiresome as the Geelong approach to this whole sorry area.

In the end, the evidence of the half-baked approach to the reporting of injuries by the GFC is clear to see. You can argue about whether you think it's fair and reasonable or not, but it's just a clear denial of reality to suggest that it isn't happening.

Last edited:
Not sure why this needs to be said again, but it's absolutely been said before...

If you're happy with how the club reports injuries, then you don't have the right to tell people who aren't happy with it that they are wrong. It's an opinion, and the smug condescending BS from some posters who insist the don't care about it is just pathetic.

Not sure why this needs to be said again, but it's absolutely been said before...

If you're happy with how the club reports injuries, then you don't have the right to tell people who aren't happy with it that they are wrong. It's an opinion, and the smug condescending BS from some posters who insist the don't care about it is just pathetic.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

You don't have the right to tell me what I can or can't complain about. It's an opinion, and the smug condescending BS from original complainers who insist they don't care about it is just pathetic.

Each to their own but I don't understand why people get worked up over the injury communications from the club.

I mean, fundamentally I don't think we really have a right to know - regardless of member / supporter status. Indeed, anything they tell us is basically public knowledge, and some of it might be information they don't necessarily want to share publicly, be that the club or the player themselves.

Unless you are a serious punter or playing supercoach, what are you going to do with that information anyway? Yeah it's nice to know when player x will be back but my take is they play when they play and I'm not going to do anything different either way so why does it matter.
The truth is… and I can say this from my own professional pov.. how they are communicating it is entirely accurate.

Each player has a different recovery process and there is no cookie cutter answer such as “small hamstring tear =3-4 medium =5-6 weeks” which is what most supporters seem to think happens.

It is more a gradual build up of return to full functional capacity and that varies from person to person how long exactly that takes and has alot of factors.

I get as fans we thirst for clarity around weeks, but they are really giving only guesses when they put out those timeframes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The truth is… and I can say this from my own professional pov.. how they are communicating it is entirely accurate.

Each player has a different recovery process and there is no cookie cutter answer such as “small hamstring tear =3-4 medium =5-6 weeks” which is what most supporters seem to think happens.

It is more a gradual build up of return to full functional capacity and that varies from person to person how long exactly that takes and has alot of factors.

I get as fans we thirst for clarity around weeks, but they are really giving only guesses when they put out those timeframes.
Good explanation…

…until you look at how 17 other clubs do it.

It’s not that some of us dont think you can't feel the way you do, i mean whatever. I just get frustrated the constant conversation drowns out the bits that do trickle through like chawks great little contribution just now.
I propose a simple solution that the Geelong Cats simply drag themselves up from 18th to 17th in terms of reporting injuries thereby making this thread redundant.

If anyone wants to see a reminder of the impact it is having on us missing Danger, Guthrie and Stanley (allowing blitz to be a pure big bodied mid) just watch the highlights of last years GF. We’ve been absolutely decimated in the midfield (losing Selwood as well), no teams can cover that. King and Montagna banging on about our defence now being in tact are so far off the mark as it starts in the middle and our defence has also been inconsistently together due to injury

Trying to get my head around the openness of the club in providing the detailed information it did on the Dangerfield injury.

Either they thought it's best to get on the front foot on this one given the high profile of the player.

Or, it's largely made-up information that they want the rest of the comp to believe.

When Nigel Lappin suffered cracked ribs and a punctured lung prior to the 2003 GF, I believe Matthews and lions players such as Scott were ropeable at Akermanis for leaking information about it.

It just defies logic that this club would just openly tell the world about the specifics of an injury to a key player like Danger.

Trying to get my head around the openness of the club in providing the detailed information it did on the Dangerfield injury.

Either they thought it's best to get on the front foot on this one given the high profile of the player.

Or, it's largely made-up information that they want the rest of the comp to believe.

When Nigel Lappin suffered cracked ribs and a punctured lung prior to the 2003 GF, I believe Matthews and lions players such as Scott were ropeable at Akermanis for leaking information about it.

It just defies logic that this club would just openly tell the world about the specifics of an injury to a key player like Danger.
I’d think it’s because he’s going to miss a month. It’s not like he’s going to play through it.

I’d think it’s because he’s going to miss a month. It’s not like he’s going to play through it.
Even then, the usual approach is to be vague and just say he's a chance next week for the next 3 to 4 weeks. If it's a genuine injury and he will be playing sore at some point, you tend not to put a target on them like that.

It would also have been getting on the front foot about things before the media started running their stories & speculation that follows that

There's at least one article yesterday discussing Dangerfield’s trip to the hospital and that his ambulance "was forced to ramp outside" - not sure that would have been a major issue for Dangerfield because as serious as his injuries were, obviously others were in worse conditions

If the Club makes no statement, and instead that's the first thing coming out, some would take it as the Club talking through the media or the player looking for sympathy

Instead, we've go straight out there with the news of situation and much easier to disassociate ourselves from other stories

But at the same time, the Club has been much better with reporting of injuries over the past 4 -> 6 weeks, after an unknown reason for a quiet patch earlier in the season

Its because the media got to it first so they had to. They wouldnt have said much otherwise. Plus its harder to hide on our most high profile media player than it is injured guys like neale and kroeger and clark etc who they barely even talk to us as if they exist.

Hopefully there won’t be another 10 pages of whinging about the lack of injuries update from the club

If the club was updating properly then there would be no whingeing-easy solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back