Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s like some have forgotten that last year we changed the balance of our defence and it actually worked, even against this apparent teams of giants
2022 was an interesting case study.

In 2021, the absence of Taylor meant Blicavs was named in defence practically every single week to retain that 4th tall.

In 2022 they decided to push Blicavs further up the ground as an inside mid and second ruck, but on the condition one of he and Stanley would often sit a kick behind the play to be that 4th tall interceptor. The bigger factor for me though was having SDK break out and give us a really mobile/athletic full back, rather than a very very old and very very slow Henderson.

Ceglar and Blicavs aren't really operating the same kind of partnership due to our depleted midfield and Ceglar's reduced mobility. SDK has also not really hit the ground running in defence this season. It'll be interesting to see which way they go when Dangerfield, Duncan and Holmes return. I think they would want Sav in the side if available at the very least until Stanley returns.

I wonder if someone can confirm, it may be bs but my daughter comes out to me when I arrive home and said Bruhn has done his hamstring at training. She read this on a chat forum somewhere. My first thought was I didn’t think we where training atm.

I wonder if someone can confirm, it may be bs but my daughter comes out to me when I arrive home and said Bruhn has done his hamstring at training. She read this on a chat forum somewhere. My first thought was I didn’t think we where training atm.
I heard on an ABC pod this week that all players have a minimum of four days off heading into their bye weekend, as part of the CBA.

If that's the case, the players shouldn't be back around the club until tomorrow.

#hereshoping

I heard on an ABC pod this week that all players have a minimum of four days off heading into their bye weekend, as part of the CBA.

If that's the case, the players shouldn't be back around the club until tomorrow.

#hereshoping

👁️👁️
👃
🍩

On Sen, Tom Morris and Cornes was talking about Geelong's injuries and then mentioned how our "injury list" reporting is the worst in the comp for how vague it is. Cornes reckons we should be fined for that rubbish and how confusing it was for us fans and shouldn't be allowed.

So at least someone in the media has pointed out how bad we are at it, the only thing was they mentioned other clubs have started copying us as well so might not change anytime soon.

On Sen, Tom Morris and Cornes was talking about Geelong's injuries and then mentioned how our "injury list" reporting is the worst in the comp for how vague it is. Cornes reckons we should be fined for that rubbish and how confusing it was for us fans and shouldn't be allowed.

So at least someone in the media has pointed out how bad we are at it, the only thing was they mentioned other clubs have started copying us as well so might not change anytime soon.
Was just talking about Cornes this am- my favourite footy media person after Whateley. Refreshingly honest, candid, and respectable

Was just talking about Cornes this am- my favourite footy media person after Whateley. Refreshingly honest, candid, and respectable
Yep... I don't even bother looking at the list anymore.

I don't even think of it as an option to look at and never do... That in itself tells me something.

Injury news:

Danger to return this week
Holmes and Duncan need to pass tomorrow's training day in order to play.
Stanley is back in full training so shouldn't be too far away
Rata also training but will miss this week, but expected to be available next week.
Bowes also available this week after VFL game before the bye.

Injury news:

Rata also training but will miss this week, but expected to be available next week.
Rhys back in full training is fantastic news. Hopefully he can hit the ground running and be a decent version of himself when he returns.

We need a lot to go right to get back into contention this season. But having the #1 back in the side and able to contribute is vitally important if we really plan to be in the mix.

Injury news:

Would be nice if we had rhys back for the melb game next week but unlikely. Otherwise thats good news though im surprised holmes is back this quick he must have worked very hard on his rehab.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has been a monumental shift in the last month, and the cub has been excellent in reporting injuries. I hope it continues.

#hereshoping
So if the hammy is true, gotta wonder how and why..

Would be nice if we had rhys back for the melb game next week but unlikely. Otherwise thats good news though im surprised holmes is back this quick he must have worked very hard on his rehab.
Stanley is such a key player for our structure.

PlayerInjuryReturn time
Jhye ClarkFoot6-10 weeks
Toby ConwayFootIndefinite
Patrick DangerfieldHamstringTest
Mitch DuncanHamstringTest
Cameron GuthrieToeIndefinite
Max HolmesKneeTest
Flynn KroegerKnee3-5 weeks
Sam MenegolaKnee3-5 weeks
Esava RatugoleaHamstring1-3 weeks
Rhys StanleyEye socket6-8 weeks
Latest News

The Cats have their bye this weekend, but Dangerfield, Duncan and Holmes are all in the frame to return for their next clash against Port Adelaide. However, Clark, Guthrie, Menegola and Stanley are longer-term prospects, while Ratugolea will need at least another week or two.

Doesn't sound so imminent for Rhys though

Injury news:

This is huge. We could possibly have this team by the time the Melb game rocks around (provided Scott's comments around Rhys arw accurate and he can come in pretty quickly once his vision is good):

B: Zuthrie, SDK, Kolo
HB: Stewart, Sav, Duncan
C: Holmes, Blics, I. Smith
FO: Stanley, Danger, T. Atkins
HF: O. Henry, J. Cameron, Miers
F: Rohan, Hawkins, Stengle
INT: J. Henry, Close, Tuohy, O'Connor
Sub: Bowes

EMG: Bruhn, Bews, Ceglar, Knevitt

Or some variation. Now THAT is a team that could take it up to anyone. Will be interesting to see if Sav/J. Henry both play in the same side, or if they go with just one of them.

Bowes/Bruhn/O. Henry another lineball one, and two of O'Connor/Tuohy/Bews the last one. Everyone else looks pretty assured at this stage. Will be nice to have depth again though.

PlayerInjuryReturn time
Jhye ClarkFoot6-10 weeks
Max HolmesKneeTest
Latest News

The Cats have their bye this weekend, but Dangerfield, Duncan and Holmes are all in the frame to return for their next clash against Port Adelaide. However, Clark, Guthrie, Menegola and Stanley are longer-term prospects, while Ratugolea will need at least another week or two.

Stanley 6-8 weeks? I highly doubt it... back in training now, I'd personally guess and and say 1-3 weeks
PS I know your just forwarding the info u just found

Nope. He is fine

I understand actually that everybody other than Guthrie was in full training yesterday. Even Rhys and Sav (who are not available this week but could well be for next round).

So realistically we will be back to basically full strength and (hopefully) meshing well as a team within a couple of weeks. If we can just split next two weeks, then will be a great platform for the full team to make an assult on the last part of the season.

If we go down the next two weeks it still isn’t impossible but we will need to get back to premiership form…. We are probably only 2-3 weeks behind where we were in 2022 (we had full team basically fully available straight after the bye - with some held back benefiting from mini fitness training stretch) - maybe that is where we will be against Sydney…

It really could go either way - but might as well hope - I am certain the team will give it a crack…

This is huge. We could possibly have this team by the time the Melb game rocks around (provided Scott's comments around Rhys arw accurate and he can come in pretty quickly once his vision is good):

B: Zuthrie, SDK, Kolo
HB: Stewart, Sav, Duncan
C: Holmes, Blics, I. Smith
FO: Stanley, Danger, T. Atkins
HF: O. Henry, J. Cameron, Miers
F: Rohan, Hawkins, Stengle
INT: J. Henry, Close, Tuohy, O'Connor
Sub: Bowes

EMG: Bruhn, Bews, Ceglar, Knevitt

Or some variation. Now THAT is a team that could take it up to anyone. Will be interesting to see if Sav/J. Henry both play in the same side, or if they go with just one of them.

Bowes/Bruhn/O. Henry another lineball one, and two of O'Connor/Tuohy/Bews the last one. Everyone else looks pretty assured at this stage. Will be nice to have depth again though.
Bruhn must come in as we need another midfielder with grunt. This means one of our tall backs must come out. On current form that would be Henry

Last edited:

PlayerInjuryReturn time
Jhye ClarkFoot6-10 weeks
Max HolmesKneeTest
Latest News

Is this an injury list from the club or is it a homemade list based on guesswork?

If it’s the later please stop it’s embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back