List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL will give North Band 1 compensation it will be effectively Pick 3.

His salary is irrelevant as they will manipulate whatever formula they use to ensure North get Pick 3.

Take that to the bank.:think:
Band one is the top 5% of salaries.

Salaries are made public by club (though not naming individual players).

There's some small confidential factors they can use to influence, but I can't see how they'll get a $650 or $700k salary up to band one, which would need to be $800k.

They're not in any position to ask for a decent pick for him. With his injury history even getting a warm body from a random draft pick and 3/4 of his salary off the books for 2024 is a win.
It's not really. Salary room next year doesn't mean that much to them as there's no one that wants to take it, and by 2025 they'll have a bunch of salaries coming off.

The deal doesn't work because there's no reason for them to give him away and no reason for us to pay up in picks for him.

Band one is the top 5% of salaries.

Salaries are made public by club (though not naming individual players).

There's some small confidential factors they can use to influence, but I can't see how they'll get a $650 or $700k salary up to band one, which would need to be $800k.
my understanding is there are a couple of other major variables including contract term and also the age of the player. Also its guaranteed salary.

Remember the Cats getting and end of first rounder for Motlop a few years ago and all the controversy re that

It's bemusing Tom leaving.
The club couldn't have put him on a higher pedestal if it tried.
Always been lauded for his leadership and would have been paid well for it along the way for his interceptor role.
It looked like the club looked after him exceptionally well and he still decides to pull the pin. Disappointing
Let's be real.

We have younger and fitter replacements. Worrell, Max, Nankervis, Hinge.

Tom can't play taller, and after his injuries he's not going to be able to defend smaller players.

Spending salary and giving a list spot to someone who we shouldn't be thinking is a guaranteed best 22 player would.be a bad decision.

I'm more concerned that he might stay.

nup - they are apparently all over McKercher with their pick 2 and want Sanders as a freebie via NGA concession (pair up the 2 Tasmanian kids). When they are crying out for quality KPP's at both ends especially with McKay likely gone. Make no mistake, if the AFL grant them what they want, we literally could miss all the top rated mids even with pick 6 - which would become like pick 10 after PP's, NGA prelisting and Academy players
Where is it being said they'll take McKercher?

Makes zero sense.

my understanding is there are a couple of other major variables including contract term and also the age of the player. Also its guaranteed salary.

Remember the Cats getting and end of first rounder for Motlop a few years ago and all the controversy re that

Contract term needs to be more than two years - but it doesn't benefit if it's any longer than that (which was our issue with Crouch, who took a smaller but longer contract).

Compo diminishes with each year a player is over 25, though I don't believe they've been public about the rate.

Guaranteed salary doesn't impact it.

I think end of first round is top 25% of salaries, which is easier to fudge. We haven't actually seen that many band one compos.

Contract term needs to be more than two years - but it doesn't benefit if it's any longer than that (which was our issue with Crouch, who took a smaller but longer contract).

Compo diminishes with each year a player is over 25, though I don't believe they've been public about the rate.

Guaranteed salary doesn't impact it.

I think end of first round is top 25% of salaries, which is easier to fudge. We haven't actually seen that many band one compos.
ok thanks for clarifying a couple of points. Its just the opaque nature of it all...

Re guaranteed I thought that was the key re salary levels. Its not what a player may earn with extra variable salary for games played, B&F finishes etc, but what the minimum guaranteed amount is thats taken into account for FA compo? Anyway, not a big deal and you are right they shouldnt be getting band 1 but hard to fully trust The Firm

Let's be real.

We have younger and fitter replacements. Worrell, Max, Nankervis, Hinge.

Tom can't play taller, and after his injuries he's not going to be able to defend smaller players.

Spending salary and giving a list spot to someone who we shouldn't be thinking is a guaranteed best 22 player would.be a bad decision.

I'm more concerned that he might stay.

I was comfortable with Tom leaving even before he did his knee - we saw the best of him early and he really hasn’t reached the same heights since. Add to that we seem very well supplied with guys that can fill his spot - I was hoping his leaving would give us another decent selection but I am worried now that with his acl his offers may have dried up.

I was comfortable with Tom leaving even before he did his knee - we saw the best of him early and he really hasn’t reached the same heights since. Add to that we seem very well supplied with guys that can fill his spot - I was hoping his leaving would give us another decent selection but I am worried now that with his acl his offers may have dried up.
would/should we drop his contract value or pull the contract altogether? Personally I would. A second ACL on an injury plagued non A grader is a material change in circumstance. If we were offering say 600k before for 5 years now perhaps its 3 years (with a trigger for 4th) at 450-500k instead.

I am with others here and OK to lose Dude with our developing youngsters.

1690374455590.png

AFL will give North whatever pick they want it's a convenient way to give them a priority picks without giving them a priority pick.

Agree they will get it but the clubs need to kick up a stink because every club won’t have access to almost anyone due to GC having so many Academy players.
There will be no one left in the first round of this draft

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

ok thanks for clarifying a couple of points. Its just the opaque nature of it all...

Re guaranteed I thought that was the key re salary levels. Its not what a player may earn with extra variable salary for games played, B&F finishes etc, but what the minimum guaranteed amount is thats taken into account for FA compo? Anyway, not a big deal and you are right they shouldnt be getting band 1 but hard to fully trust The Firm
This is right

It’s also a big part of why we got shafted with crouch- supposedly lower guaranteed salary but with incentives that didn’t get factored into the herbs and spices

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The plan was to target Redman because he was a free hit that only cost $$

Not sure there’s a backup plan.
Bailey Williams maybe too, but it sounds like he’s re-signing

Otherwise any backup plan will involve spending draft capital, which is still possible, but we haven’t been publicly linked to many players

The plan was to target Redman because he was a free hit that only cost $$

Not sure there’s a backup plan.
uL1XVp.gif

Maybe if it was Gold Coast. But I don't see much evidence that they care too much about North.
Clarko has Gill the Dill in his pocket..

One coffee date between the two and Gill will make sure it happens.

It will be one of Gill the Dill’s last acts before he hands the reigns over to Dillion the Dill.

What are the chances Borlase gets offered a contract?
The club may simply ask the AFL to allow the Crows to list Borlase and Newchurch as Cat B rookies for a fourth year..

Other clubs have asked the AFL to be allowed to do this in the last year or two and the AFL has allowed it.. i think two clubs did it just last year.

Cant see the AFL being too worried about a couple of lowly paid Cat B’s spending an extra year on a list..

The club has said this part of the rebuild was brining in established players, confirmed again by Olsen and Silvers at the beginning of the year.

If we don’t, then it’s a clear fail and where does that put our rebuild?

I reckon we got very excited about landing SA talent early in the year when the managers of Kozzie Pickett, Will Day and Mason Redman were having ‘great dialogue’ with us to drive up their existing club’s offers.

They’ve all re-signed and we’re left holding our… unsigned contract offers.

I reckon we got very excited about landing SA talent early in the year when the managers of Kozzie Pickett, Will Day and Mason Redman were having ‘great dialogue’ with us to drive up their existing club’s offers.

They’ve all re-signed and we’re left holding our… unsigned contract offers.
I tend to agree with a previous narrative around Redman that suggests we targetted a SA lad at a club struggling and had an understanding - then the struggling club changed coaches , improved and suddenly life didnt seem so bad

Did the manager take advantage of that - yes indeed - I dont think it was solely manager driven from the start

As to the other 2 I have no comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back