List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread - Pt2 Now With Added Wailing & Gnashing of Teeth

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Dockers fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wishful thinking unfortunately. Would cost a hell of a lot more than that for pick 8!
Trading into the top 10 of a draft with future picks on draft night is INCREDIBLY expensive. I’m not exaggerating here when I say Andrew Mackie would ask for all 3 of next years first rounders to give us pick 8. He’s already proven to be a ridiculously painful guy for other clubs to deal with.
Obviously - we should not give up 3 first rounder for pick 8.
That saints F2 is just about worthless. Steak knives when you talk about trading into the first round this year.
Mackie’s confidence is an interesting approach. We have long memories as do recruiters. We don’t need to deal and can offer if he says no we walk away. Cats are in a rebuild so his stubbornness will be interesting to observe over next few years. Similar to Mitchell’s arrogance last year, all of a sudden is paying 5 years for Chol.

We offered a terrible deal to Logue at the start of 2022. Something like $250 to $300k per annum. He was keen to stay and wanted to sign on similar money to what he’d been on up to then, which was probably around $400k or so. We were dicking about with his contract (at one stage around jan/Feb 2022 I believe they may have even been considering delisting him and rookie listing him on minimum chips end of 22) and let him get into his final year unsigned.
I think there was an attitude of “he’ll never leave us”.
But then he came out and demolished curnow and Cameron in successive weeks as a key defender in May 2022 and it was game over from there. The big offers flooded in. We were begging him to sign for $550k in the end in sept 2022 (far far more than he would have actually accepted at the start of 2022) but he said nah. North were making him one of the top 80 paid players in the entire league in over $700k pa.

When you lowball People as a club - don’t be surprised when they * you over.
Worse still - Logues ability was obvious in 2021 (he had a number of great games) and there was a mountain of players he should have been ahead of for a contract. REMINDER - we gave Ethan Hughes a 3 year deal in late 2021, and told Logue at the same time - “nah we aren’t sure about you mate. You can stew there for a while while we think about whether we even want you long term”

I really hope this kind of dumb s**t is behind us.
Logue extremely overrated. His best contribution to the club was OBYB.

Treacy and Banfield are being upgraded.

Afl.com’s recent history would suggest they’d only run with that McDonald story if they think it’s happening.

Based off just that we’re down to three senior list spots already (two rookie list).

Also Schultz was upgraded last year.

There are up to 6x spots available on the main list. We ran 36/6 main list / rookie list in 2023.

The upgrades don’t matter as we can run 38/4 but my guess is we go 37/5.

The 4x rookies for 2024 are Kuek, Stanley, Worner & Reidy.

So we can take Macdonald & Sharp and up to 4x ND picks.

There are up to 6x spots available on the main list. We ran 36/6 main list / rookie list in 2023.

The upgrades don’t matter as we can run 38/4 but my guess is we go 37/5.

The 4x rookies for 2024 are Kuek, Stanley, Worner & Reidy.

So we can take Macdonald & Sharp and up to 4x ND picks.
Waste of 80k to go 37/5 tbh

Will Kelly ended up getting the sack, would have been crazy if he didn't, thought for sure his dad (the CEO) was gonna save him

Well Corbett has to be delisted and rookied now that he is out for the whole of 2024, it only makes sense

We can technically just put him on the LTI and pickup a rookie in the SSP in his place (like we should with Kuek) but I think opening up a main list spot with McDonald already coming in makes more sense

So then they don’t take one of Sharp or MacDonald or only take 2x ND picks. I’d prefer both and 3x picks.

With the current instability in the list, $80k is such a small amount of the TPP (0.6%) that I don’t think it’s worth delisting and rookie-ing players.

We’ve gone with 36/6 since 2021 when they cut lists. Before that we went 38/6 for several years.

Why anyone would think we’d do anything else after so long is behind me, especially when three picks and a DFA works perfectly for 36/6.

So then they don’t take one of Sharp or MacDonald or only take 2x ND picks. I’d prefer both and 3x picks.

With the current instability in the list, $80k is such a small amount of the TPP (0.6%) that I don’t think it’s worth delisting and rookie-ing players.
Now we have a rolled gold person to delist and rookie though, $80k is well worth putting Corbett on the list (he misses all of next season, noone would dare poach him)

We’ve gone with 36/6 since 2021 when they cut lists. Before that we went 38/6 for several years.

Why anyone would think we’d do anything else after so long is behind me, especially when three picks and a DFA works perfectly for 36/6.
Can grab 2x DFA and have 3 picks if we move Corbett down now though

Then can trial 3 and grab 2 ssp rookies with JoCo and Kuek on the LTI

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our initial offer to Logue was way lower than our final offer. That’s the problem, same thing with Hamling, offered one year, someone else offers 2+trigger, we offer 2 but it’s too late.
Logue had tickets on himself. Nothing but depth. Acres was a big loss, should have offered him more than one year after the year he had in 2022.

If you believe Acres and Logue are the difference between us and a premiership then throw all the stones you want.

If Acres wins an AA next year will happily say I was wrong. He’s a hamstring away from footy oblivion.
Yeah but the point being missed - no team can be full of highly paid players. You have to blend high and lower to fit in the salary cap. We had an option, it was within our control to contract two good players at lower rates. But we 'hoped' to really low ball both, and guess what, they went and took a look at the market and both were offered way in excess of what we offered. Returning with better offers was a failure.

Now we have neither and we have to 'hope' a youngster comes on to cover both, or that someone that wanted to come here, but we left hanging, will hopefully again choose us. Alternatively, we are chasing someone that's a DFA, and was not chased by teams with far worse KPD stocks than us and they get to watch him play week in and week out ie North, Essendon, Hawthorn and even Geelong, Richmond and Western Bulldogs are worse off for KPD than us. Hamling was ours, and perfect as cover as Davies and Draper develop.

Limped every time I saw him this year. Looked hampered. So both him and kuek rehabbing the whole year and you'd think getting another contract would be hard
Keuk maybe a long shot to get back in 2024, but with regards to hip surgery and rehabbing it maybe July/August If he’s a fast healer.

Need to look at KPF options in the state leagues now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back