List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bingo, first poster I have seen hit the nail on the head

None of their acquisitions improve their deficiency, defensive intent

It's why I had them as a slight slider
Losing Marcus Adams didn't help, however they probably knew that in advance but didn't do anything to remedy it.

Ok...it is for the record, you state we do not need 10 changes to win a flag. Let's see a) if we one b) if the premiership team/list has at least 10 changes to what we put out on Thursday.
You think we are close, I think we are further than we think

FMD Michael, you just don't get it

If we don't win a flag this year or next, but win it in 2025, the list would have changed by an average of 15 players over a 2 year period

This will be the same for at least 16 other clubs over the next 2 off season, without winning a flag, on average 15 list changes over the next 2 years

If you don't understand that, just stop replying until you do

Isn’t Dunkley a renowned defensive midfielder?

Same reason I’m not sold on the filth, you can kick a score on them quite easily

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Martin, at best should be the sub. Outside of that, he is done. Shown very little across his time with us.

The disappointment is that trade week was Voss opportunity to get creative and find players to fit the plan.

Blake Acres, and done. Was poor.

Its hilarious now to sit back, and say we are missing x y z on the list. What were they thinking post that collingwood game. List clearly needed work, and same old injury prone or mentally weakplayers needed to be culled or moved on.

Ie Fisher again, ineffectual. He is the half fwd flanker we need to step up. Should have been shipped to West Coast.

I'm more keen to see these guys replaced by our draftees who already seem to have the desire, will and want.

Voss should make a statement and drop the mentally weak. The group needs to realise the time is now. Our window for finals and a challenge is right now

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

This

Probably a bit Harsh on Acres fitting into a new team, but the rest I totally agree with. Axe needs to fall on Martin & Fisher for (Cuningham & Durdin if fit - nothing the injuries list)

That he is still on our list after 8 years is nothing short of lunacy. Like Marchbank, he has a body made of glass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That he is still on our list after 8 years is nothing short of lunacy. Like Marchbank, he has a body made of glass.
Both on bare minimum wage. It was and is worth the risk in 2023 to have them on the list this year. If their bodies fail, will be gone at the end of this year.

FMD Michael, you just don't get it

If we don't win a flag this year or next, but win it in 2025, the list would have changed by an average of 15 players over a 2 year period

This will be the same for at least 16 other clubs over the next 2 off season, without winning a flag, on average 15 list changes over the next 2 years

If you don't understand that, just stop replying until you do
Manipulating arguments, deflecting again
You said we are 2 to 3 players short
Then you bat for the other side and say 15 changes.I don't care about changes, it is finding minimum 10 good players
You are more invested in fudging a stance to allow yourself the opportunity to move away from your original statement, to protect your ego, than having a firm constructive opinion.

Sigh, every now and then I think about the Papley trade that didn't get through and wonder what could have been.

Dodo absolutely should have taken the deal for Danniher given his injury history at that point and they got far less for him the year after.

Papley is exactly the kind of crafty small forward we need right now. He'd provide experience to Durdin and Motlop. Sadly, the players we got from splitting the pick 9 we were going to trade (Philp & Kemp) aren't even close to best 22 players right now and honestly are looking like busts. On top of that, had we spent our salary cap on Papley, we may not have been able to afford Williams, which unfortunately would probably have been a good thing given his injury issues.

Sliding doors, we'd be a far stronger team with Papley.

IF - and it's a big one - you could get the following 23 players fit, healthy and firing for the finals I have a belief that if they learned how to finish games that this team would give a premiership a genuine shake.

B: Newman - Weitering - Young
HB: Docherty - McGovern - Saad
C: Acres - Cripps - Cerra
HF: Motlop - McKay - Kennedy
F: De Koning - Curnow - Durdin
Ru: Pittonet - Hewett - Walsh
IC: E Curnow - Martin - Fisher - Cowan
Sub; Hollands

There's quite a few maybes not listed

We have the cattle if they learn to finish

I dont think that team wins a Premiership. Even at the top of their games.

Sigh, every now and then I think about the Papley trade that didn't get through and wonder what could have been.

Dodo absolutely should have taken the deal for Danniher given his injury history at that point and they got far less for him the year after.

Papley is exactly the kind of crafty small forward we need right now. He'd provide experience to Durdin and Motlop. Sadly, the players we got from splitting the pick 9 we were going to trade (Philp & Kemp) aren't even close to best 22 players right now and honestly are looking like busts. On top of that, had we spent our salary cap on Papley, we may not have been able to afford Williams, which unfortunately would probably have been a good thing given his injury issues.

Sliding doors, we'd be a far stronger team with Papley.
Could have taken Pickett or Weightman with that pick 9 too if im not mistaken.

Manipulating arguments, deflecting again
You said we are 2 to 3 players short
Then you bat for the other side and say 15 changes.I don't care about changes, it is finding minimum 10 good players
You are more invested in fudging a stance to allow yourself the opportunity to move away from your original statement, to protect your ego, than having a firm constructive opinion.

No, I only bat for one side Michael 😉

Will break it down for you, shits and giggles

If we had Daniel Rioli, Charlie Cameron and Connor Rozee, 3 players, do you think we are 10 good players away from contending?

Crazy to think that all it took was a draw in Round 1 for the list management thread to explode with grown adults behaving like children.

Would be nice if this place could circle back round to open and respectful discussion. Might need to take another sabbatical at this rate.

For what it's worth, there aren't going to be any list changes for 7+ months. In that time, we need to make serious inroads on field, as well as determining our best structure and strategy as far as player utilisation goes. I have some thoughts on that.

Martin - needs to attend 50% of the centre bounces. Get him involved, don't let him hide away on a forward flank with the ball sailing over his head all the time. He tackles well, is hard to tackle, has good acceleration, vision and disposal. His issue is, and always has been, a penchant for disappearing for 3 quarters. Our on-ball group lacks acceleration and quality disposal above all else - plenty of grunt, no pizazz. Martin into the guts is two birds with one stone.

Fisher - similar to Martin, but lacks the wiry strength to really excel in a limited on-ball group, and beaten so soundly in the air that we can't target him unless he's in plenty of space. Those limitations pretty much rule him out of a backline role, which could otherwise have been an option. I think he's in his best position already, but we really need to see who else we could get who offers more security in a one-on-one.

Kennedy - bit more forward time with Martin taking more centre bounces.

Honey - I'd try and Jones him at this stage. Send him down back in the VFL, make him accountable, but give him a license to break lines and take ground when possible. Swing him forward and on-ball here and there to keep the opposition on their toes. Feels like the last year for him to nail a spot, otherwise he's a potential easy delisting.

JSOS - should absolutely try him down back for a run of games. Need to get the mix right around him, but he reads the play well, gives 120% to every contest, and is a smart and effective field kick.

McGovern - swap him with JSOS for a bit. Let him play high forward and lead up at the ball. He'll stretch a defensive unit more than JSOS will, and hopefully serves well as a link-up target in transition.

Young, Weitering, Newman
Docherty, JSoS, Saad
Acres, Cripps, O'Brien
TDK, Hewett, Martin
Kennedy, McGovern, Durdin
Motlop, McKay, Curnow
I/C: Cowan, Cerra, Walsh, [XXXXXX]

Backline feels a little light on for pace. Pending recovery, I'd be happy to see Boyd in for Cowan as the 7th defender, with Cowan next cab off the rank in case of an injury to any of Newman, Boyd or Saad.

Midfield feels a touch more dynamic. Rotate Kennedy, Walsh and Cerra through there as well.

Forward line feels more dangerous. Kennedy and Gov give us a couple of very capable marking targets who can score from 50 out, and are also effective field kicks. Harry playing out of the square, Charlie a wildcard who can fly for marks or punish the opposition if they commit too many to the aerial contest and fail to kill the ball completely. Durdin and Motlop to continue building their partnership.

I've got one spot left on my bench. It's nominally the 7th forward, and probably therefore Fisher. But with Martin and Cripps able to rotate forward, there could also be value in playing another runner (Ed, Hollands?) or a utility (Kemp).

If those positional moves work, then I think we're able to take a "best available" approach into the off-season. If they don't, then I'd want us to target a third tall defender with no significant injury history, a pacy on-baller who can hit the scoreboard, and a dedicated medium forward (or small who plays taller) who can be relied on to win or halve a 1v1.

Could have taken Pickett or Weightman with that pick 9 too if im not mistaken.

You're right, both were taken early teens.

Pickett looks a genuine star small forward...already a premiership winner and torched the Dogs tonight with 4 goals. That is a HUGE blunder by SOS and the team...imagine Pickett on our list instead of Philp and Kemp. He was there and they chose to trade down the order...this one hurts.

Our drafting under SOS is pretty terrible reading except for 2015. Our first 2 picks that haven't had much impact include Dow, SPS, Stocker, Philp and Kemp. LOB and Fish as well are on the fringe. After 2015 the only win is Walsh and he was an obvious guaranteed star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back