2023 mid season draft - Name your player you want

which player you want richmond to select in the mid season draft

• Luke Teal - 19 year old 190cm 85kgs smart HBF Tigga replacement

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Mutaz El Nour - 22 year old 192cm 85gks 3rd tall defender Nathan Broad replacement

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • Tyreece Leiu - 20 year old 195cm 93kgs KP Defender Tarrant Replacement

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Ethan Phillips - 24 year old KP Defender Another Tarrant Replacement

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Archie May - 21 year old KPF /Ruck 198cm 94kgs Never can have enough Rucks that can play foward

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Archie Lovelock - 18 year old Mid /Small Foward 179cm 75kgs missed out last year playing glenelg

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Liam McBean - 28 year old 202cm 100kgs Small Foward shows enormous potential as a castagna replace

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other - Name in a post

Votes: 18 14.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree, we lack midfield depth. Even in our reserves the lack of midfield quality is evident

Bauer is still developing and Bradtke is only starting.

Short change Key positions do not really work and we need better transition and delivery. Far too much kick it long.

In fact the kick it long to the key has not served RFC well. Only have to look at 2017 when we where forced to change tact
I think the evidence is plain and simple we can’t kick goals , ea week we have a surplus of i50 s that means we re getting it in one way or the other and it’s rebounding straight back

There are a few KPF prospects in the MSD and one should fall to our pick.

That said, I don’t think that there’s any that’s ready to play ASAP. Even a guy like Maric who is likely to go in the top 3 at this stage played with Box Hill on the weekend and looks a likely type isn’t really ready to play ASAP.

I’d have Bauer ahead of all the KPF prospects but likely in the MSD in terms of readiness to play (not necessarily as a better prospect though).
And we should be giving him a bloody game TigerImposter who do you think is closer to sen footy biggy or Bauer . Surely biggy could be handy with some PT ruck work

And we should be giving him a bloody game TigerImposter who do you think is closer to sen footy biggy or Bauer . Surely biggy could be handy with some PT ruck work
I would rest RYAN as our VFL side has a bye. Just send up to QLD and have a rest with family. Then play Biggy and Miller and omit Dow. We need an extra tall badly to support Jack

There are a few KPF prospects in the MSD and one should fall to our pick.

That said, I don’t think that there’s any that’s ready to play ASAP. Even a guy like Maric who is likely to go in the top 3 at this stage played with Box Hill on the weekend and looks a likely type isn’t really ready to play ASAP.

I’d have Bauer ahead of all the KPF prospects but likely in the MSD in terms of readiness to play (not necessarily as a better prospect though).
Good call.

Definitely a list deficiency (KPF).

It’s a speculative way of identifying our next KPF but we don’t have too many other options , so we add another hopeful to the mix. And utilise FA.

If Buller and Maric are gone a couple of talls in the mix
Archie May (on our VFL list)
Noah Casalini
and Clay Tucker,
come into consideration. Tucker is a ruckman but showing some form up forward. Given the health of our current ruckman it has some appeal having 2 genuine 204cm+ ruck/forwards on the list

Noah Casalini

North Adelaide, SANFL

FWD, 21, 192cm, 86kg

A former Sydney Academy member, Casalini crossed to South Australia in 2023 following four games for GWS in the VFL last season. The athletic forward has starred for North Adelaide, booting six goals against Norwood earlier this year. Casalini has a powerful left foot, and will provide teams with a marking option up forward.

Clay Tucker

Eastern Ranges, Coates Talent League

RUCK, 18, 204cm, 99kg

Eastern Ranges ruckman Clay Tucker had a strong pair of appearances for the Young Guns in May, using his physicality to his advantage, impressing recruiters with his excellent ruck craft. Despite standing at 204cm, Tucker’s athleticism has been considered a strength, making him an enticing option for AFL clubs willing to take a punt on the raw tall.

Good call.

It’s a speculative way of identifying our next KPF but we don’t have too many other options , so we add another hopeful to the mix. And utilise FA.

Noah Casalini
and Clay Tucker,
come into consideration. Tucker is a ruckman but showing some form up forward. Given the health of our current ruckman it has some appeal having 2 genuine 204cm+ ruck/forwards on the list

Noah Casalini

North Adelaide, SANFL

FWD, 21, 192cm, 86kg

A former Sydney Academy member, Casalini crossed to South Australia in 2023 following four games for GWS in the VFL last season. The athletic forward has starred for North Adelaide, booting six goals against Norwood earlier this year. Casalini has a powerful left foot, and will provide teams with a marking option up forward.

Clay Tucker

RUCK, 18, 204cm, 99kg

Eastern Ranges ruckman Clay Tucker had a strong pair of appearances for the Young Guns in May, using his physicality to his advantage, impressing recruiters with his excellent ruck craft. Despite standing at 204cm, Tucker’s athleticism has been considered a strength, making him an enticing option for AFL clubs willing to take a punt on the raw tall.

Will Elliot another. 203cm and a good key forward prospect from the Oakleigh Chargers.

Was touted in early 2022 as a possibly top 20 selection before knee issues derailed his year.

I think the evidence is plain and simple we can’t kick goals , ea week we have a surplus of i50 s that means we re getting it in one way or the other and it’s rebounding straight back

Nah, poor evidence.

The way it is brought forward is inferior.

These days with position less football any egg can bring a football forward

Nah, poor evidence.

The way it is brought forward is inferior.

These days with position less football any egg can bring a football forward
Uh uh , zero movement from key forwards or very limited means our best entries are generally when the ball hits the turf and shai or dusty can pounce , it’s why I’m so filthy that too often we overpasses when the get out should be top of square then bring to ground , not Harlem globetrotter 5-6 handball chain

I would rest RYAN as our VFL side has a bye. Just send up to QLD and have a rest with family. Then play Biggy and Miller and omit Dow. We need an extra tall badly to support Jack

I would play Miller on a wing.

Saw him run and kick that goal in the VFL.

He is a little different to normal talls. I would pay him on a wing as a link player, pinch hit ruck and see what happens

Good call.

Noah Casalini
and Clay Tucker,

Noah Casalini

North Adelaide, SANFL

FWD, 21, 192cm, 86kg

Clay Tucker

RUCK, 18, 204cm, 99kg

Cassalini similar to Bauer , tucker similar to Ryan , May looks to me more of a leading forward and tall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolton is a forward, Short is a back, Baker a forward, Smith a back, Ross a hybrid, Sonsie still growing.

That is pretty thin when Martin and Cotch go forward. Hopper and Taranto are only two players

vs Essendon:
Taranto 20 CBA
Bolton 18 CBA
Short 18 CBA
Prestia 10 CBA
Dow 6 CBA
Martin 2 CBA

vs Geelong:
Taranto 25 CBA
Bolton 20 CBA
Prestia 17 CBA
Hopper 13 CBA
Short 13 CBA
Martin 5 CBA

vs WCE:
Hopper 19 CBA
Taranto 18 CBA
Bolton 14 CBA
Short 12 CBA
Prestia 9 CBA
Martin 9 CBA

Clearly from the last 3 games, Bolton and Short are definitely midfielders rather than forwards or backs respectively. We know what Baker has done as a midfielder, and Ross has had his best games as a midfielder, both at AFL and VFL.

Your point is about depth, and the depth is clearly there.

Cassalini similar to Bauer , tucker similar to Ryan , May looks to me more of a leading forward and tall
Not sure where May sits in the current pecking order, we have pick 5 (?) , is that too early?

He definitely fits the profile of the type of player we need ie genuine KPF size.
Is in Our system.

Apparently played well in a recent Young Guns game.

From our AFL website
“ May, a former rower and Brighton Grammar graduate, is an 18-year-old ruckman who can follow up his work at ground level and throws his weight around with aggression.”

Seems to fit the bill, but we have a history of left field selections.

Not sure where May sits in the current pecking order, we have pick 5 (?) , is that too early?

He definitely fits the profile of the type of player we need ie genuine KPF size.
Is in Our system.

Apparently played well in a recent Young Guns game.

From our AFL website
“ May, a former rower and Brighton Grammar graduate, is an 18-year-old ruckman who can follow up his work at ground level and throws his weight around with aggression.”

Seems to fit the bill, but we have a history of left field selections.
Agree Charlie, young May is only 18, and comes from out of the system due to rowing committments past two years. He also had a delayed start to the season with a wrist fracturea and looks to be still growing, and would be a good pick up.

Pick 5 boys & girls.

Wow wee ... which reject we getting?
I know we sound desperate on hanging our hats on a MSD , but this is probably the strongest one ever and it’s a big opportunity to add a quality player on our list. Personally any kid that can play FF and with a three to four years mature body could be a big way to help replace JR as this s a huge void on our list. If it doesn’t work out then there’s really no loss, but there’s a chance in this draft of getting a half decent player. You still did make me 😂 though.

Agree Charlie, young May is only 18, and comes from out of the system due to rowing committments past two years. He also had a delayed start to the season with a wrist fracturea and looks to be still growing, and would be a good pick up.
Ok , so that explains why he was not snapped up last year.
Let’s face it most of these players have been overlooked previously or discarded by AFL clubs. The chances of picking up a ten year player is probably slim. I’d be happy to go for this type, has size and aggression.

I know we sound desperate on hanging our hats on a MSD , but this is probably the strongest one ever and it’s a big opportunity to add a quality player on our list. Personally any kid that can play FF and with a three to four years mature body could be a big way to help replace JR as this s a huge void on our list. If it doesn’t work out then there’s really no loss, but there’s a chance in this draft of getting a half decent player. You still did make me 😂 though.

I bet we pick a small defender, we all know what we are crying out for but I dont hold much faith we will make the right call.

Ok , so that explains why he was not snapped up last year.
Let’s face it most of these players have been overlooked previously or discarded by AFL clubs. The chances of picking up a ten year player is probably slim. I’d be happy to go for this type, has size and aggression.
I prefer not to get a discarded AFL player and just get one that’s never been in the system before. I fear getting the next Parker with a reject. At least an overlooked player may improve with the development being on AFL list as they’ve never been there before except with maybe a VFL team. It’s still a different situation though.

Last edited:
Still reckon we should be looking at ex-Port smartass Boyd Woodcock. Been in Southport's best 3 for 6 of 8 rounds, averaging 28 possies (including hauls of 38 and 41 in the last 3), over 3 tackles and over a goal a game. We know that he can play that pressure forward role and he's still only 23 so that would fit our age profile perfectly. Ready to start AFL player with 7-10 years in front of him if he's good enough.
Geez he was a ********. Probably like him if he played for us 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 mid season draft - Name your player you want

Back