Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephenson is another who is that fwd/mid type. We also drafted Brayden George last year, who is in that mid sized general forward category, similar to Duursma. As good as Duursma is, I think it would be a really poor selection for us considering who we currently have on our list and what areas we need to address. We’re void of high end young key position players and next years draft is very thin in that department - it’s a very midfield heavy draft in the first round at this stage. If we don’t address the key position areas in this draft, then it’s going to be a couple of years before we will likely be able to.
Stephenson in the midfield? Are all our players legs cut off? If he is playing in the midfield we are ****ed. He cannot lay a tackle to save his life. Maybe on the wing he could provide a chop out.

Brayden George never ran through the midfield in his u18 season and is very much in the PC mould of 'I'm out there to kick goals' which he does very well. I'd put Brayden George closer to a Fevola type than a De Goey type (player prototypes not comparing them to these greats)

Zane plays like a pseudo key forward a bit.

Reckon he could be a very effective Gunston like target who presents up and is a clever mark.

In addition to that though he can also punish you in transition and kick goals on the run.

Bit of a unique skillset with his height but I reckon he's a bit of a project who will take a few years to come on.

Take McKercher with 2 and Curtin with 3. I think McKercher is a no brainer given we lack outside run. I get the fascination with Duursma he’s great and if we didn’t already have Harry then there’s a real argument for him but by drafting Curtin he can play the exact same role Sheezel did this year and release Harry forward. It just makes so much sense to me, we draft 2 players but address 3 on field issues.

Zane plays like a pseudo key forward a bit.

Reckon he could be a very effective Gunston like target who presents up and is a clever mark.

In addition to that though he can also punish you in transition and kick goals on the run.

Bit of a unique skillset with his height but I reckon he's a bit of a project who will take a few years to come on.

And can run through the midfield!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I've watched all of Duursma's videos courtesy of noobermensch and I'm sold. McKercher and Duursma how could we go wrong. I'm kind of hoping we don't trade up for Reid unless it's only 2 + 15.
Can you point me to your favourite? I'm still yet to see anything stand out. He's stat line is exceptional but I see elite traits when watching all the other top 7 prospects other than him.

Highly-rated junior Zane Duursma has a bright future ahead.

That’s if information from his school coach is anything to go by.

Lowanna Sports Academy coach Allan Chandler says the younger brother of Port Adelaide’s Xavier is the most skilful player he has ever coached.

Chandler spoke glowingly of the Gippsland Power forward and top 2023 draft prospect on SEN Breakfast.

“Zane is the most skilful player I’ve had the ability to coach so far,” Chandler said of Duursma.

“Whether it’s his high marking, he’s got an incredible leap, also his timing for his leap. His ability to balance and kick off both feet is really good. He’s got a really good goal sense.

“I hope at some stage this year he just has one of those games kind of like he did against Bendigo last year where he kicked six or seven (goals) and we can just sit back and enjoy.”

Will there be any Xavier-like celebrations if he does happen to kick a few goals?

“Yeah there will be, I don’t think there’ll be bow and arrows,” Chandler added.

“I’m lucky enough to look after the forwards and I actually like when they celebrate. It gets everyone else up and about, go for gold, make it interesting.”

Duursma is being tipped by many draft experts to go inside the top five of this year’s draft.

Take McKercher with 2 and Curtin with 3. I think McKercher is a no brainer given we lack outside run. I get the fascination with Duursma he’s great and if we didn’t already have Harry then there’s a real argument for him but by drafting Curtin he can play the exact same role Sheezel did this year and release Harry forward. It just makes so much sense to me, we draft 2 players but address 3 on field issues.

Totally agree. They both make the most sense list wise, other than Watson, who just doesn’t seem a top 3 pick.

It is risky going with 2 interstate kids though.

Highly-rated junior Zane Duursma has a bright future ahead.

That’s if information from his school coach is anything to go by.

Lowanna Sports Academy coach Allan Chandler says the younger brother of Port Adelaide’s Xavier is the most skilful player he has ever coached.

Chandler spoke glowingly of the Gippsland Power forward and top 2023 draft prospect on SEN Breakfast.

“Zane is the most skilful player I’ve had the ability to coach so far,” Chandler said of Duursma.

“Whether it’s his high marking, he’s got an incredible leap, also his timing for his leap. His ability to balance and kick off both feet is really good. He’s got a really good goal sense.

“I hope at some stage this year he just has one of those games kind of like he did against Bendigo last year where he kicked six or seven (goals) and we can just sit back and enjoy.”

Will there be any Xavier-like celebrations if he does happen to kick a few goals?

“Yeah there will be, I don’t think there’ll be bow and arrows,” Chandler added.

“I’m lucky enough to look after the forwards and I actually like when they celebrate. It gets everyone else up and about, go for gold, make it interesting.”

Duursma is being tipped by many draft experts to go inside the top five of this year’s draft.
High praise. I haven't really seen him hit players on the chest lace out or anything close to some of the skills someone like Sheezel displayed last year, but I guess I may be wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d try and offer Mckercher and Curtin day 1 extensions. Standard 3 + 2 years at $500k.

See if they will commit to 5 years under clarko to top off

Simpkin, Larkey, Zuhaar, Logue, LDU, Thomas, Scott, Comben, Ford, Phillips, Powell, Goater, Archer, Curtis, George, Sheezel, Wardlaw and Harvey 😀

I think I’d then hope like hell we can turn what we have left into O’Sullivan and pick 19 this year and take Collard as our small forward.

Should have won GOTY.....

That wasn't creative and fast thinking enough for you?
You've kind of proved my point than disproved it. He is incredible in the forward 50 and his field kicking can be great. But I'm not saying anything new by saying he isn't made to be a midfielder.

I was referring more to the idea we’d leave McKercher on the board to take Watson. Ain’t happening.

I’m also keen on the idea of Curtin.

Yeah we’re not being linked by anyone now to Watto. Unless there’s some creative trading it seems like your O’Sullivans or Caddy’s he’s positioned to be too much of a reach now.

AFL draft 2023: Young gun Lance Collard’s rapid rise sparks push for rule overhaul​

Western Australian young gun Lance Collard’s rapid rise through the AFL draft pecking order is set to trigger a fresh debate on rules that “need to change”.

Mark Duffield

4 min read
October 10, 2023 - 7:14PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
CODE Sports

Lance Collard after completing the 2km time trial at the 2023 AFL National Draft Combine. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Lance Collard after completing the 2km time trial at the 2023 AFL National Draft Combine. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Subiaco’s Lance Collard’s rapid rise through the draft pecking order

is set to trigger a fresh debate on AFL Next Generation Academy rules and a fresh push from non-Victorian clubs for the rules to be relaxed.

Collard tested brilliantly at the National Draft Combine to top off a spectacular finish to his WAFL Colts campaign and is now considered a possible first round pick at the draft.

He will almost certainly be taken before wooden spooner West Coast, the club whose Next Generation Academy he had been a part of, have a chance to match any bid for him.

Under current rules, clubs can only match a bid for an NGA prospect taken outside of pick 40.

The rules stand in contrast to father-son rules and Northern Academy rules with Gold Coast this year gathering first round draft picks in a trade with the Western Bulldogs to match bids for their highly touted prospects – forward Jed Walter, ruckman Ethan Read and midfielder Jake Rogers, with bids for all three expected to come inside the first round of the draft.

Two years ago, Fremantle were unable to pick South Fremantle NGA prospect Jesse Motlop when Carlton took him well inside the threshold at pick 27 overall.

Motlop, still a teenager now, has already played 33 games for the Blues including 21 of their 26 this year plus all three of their finals.

Lance Collard’s situation has created a push for draft rule changes. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Lance Collard’s situation has created a push for draft rule changes. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Earlier in the year, the lightning quick Collard was viewed as a player who would fall somewhere between the middle of the second and third rounds, putting him right on the cusp of where the Eagles might have access to him.

But he kicked 32 goals in 11 games for the Subiaco Colts, rattling home with brilliant performances in finals against West Perth and East Fremantle when he kicked five goals in both games.

He then tested fourth fastest in the 20 metre sprint at the draft combine with a time of 2.923 seconds and won the agility run with a time of 8.157 seconds.

The traits exhibited are considered critical tools for an AFL small forward to have in their kit bag. And quality small forwards who can kick goals are becoming increasingly fashionable at AFL level with Collingwood’s Bobby Hill winning this year’s Norm Smith Medal.

Other Magpies Beau McCreery and Jamie Elliott also played key roles in Collingwood’s premiership push while runners up Brisbane had explosive pair Zac Bailey and Charlie Cameron at their disposal.

One AFL club recruiter on Tuesday said he would now view Collard as a first round and potential top 10 talent.

Locally talent managers have him behind only Claremont’s Daniel Curtin and alongside fellow Subiaco product Koltyn Tholstrup purely for talent.

Curtin is considered a certain top 10 pick while Tholstrup is expected to be taken in the top 25.

“He is certainly in our top couple in terms of talent,” state talent manager Adam Jones said of Collard. “The stuff that he can do is as good as any.”

“From a pure football traits perspective – speed and skill – that is a pretty fair statement.”

Lance Collard is in high demand in the AFL draft. Picture: Sarah Reed/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Lance Collard is in high demand in the AFL draft. Picture: Sarah Reed/AFL Photos via Getty Images

The question mark, Jones said, would be whether Collard could learn to adapt to the extra heat and attention he will cop at AFL level.

He had been prone to reacting to niggle and close checking but had shown signs he was improving that side of his game towards the end of the season.

“It is just that on field resilience and emotional stability. Once he gets a bit older you would expect him to be a lot better in that area.

From an off field perspective we haven’t had any dramas with him. It was bloody good to see him test well at the weekend,” Jones said.

The inequities between draft conditions for different AFL draft criteria like the Northern Academies and father-son picks were raised by Port Adelaide’s head of football Chris Davies on Trade Radio this week.

In South Australia, sons of SANFL players only qualify for father-son selections by the SA clubs if their fathers played 200 games for their SANFL clubs as opposed to 100 games for VFL/AFL father-son prospects.

Father-sons Josh and Nick Daicos finished first and equal second respectively in the Collingwood premiership team’s best and fairest while a third father-son Darcy Moore captained the team. All three were All-Australian this year.

“The AFL have got some decisions to make with regard to what they want the draft to actually look like, whether it be issues about the northern academies, father-son situation,” Davies said.

“To us, we still can’t believe it’s 100 games in the VFL and 200 games in the SANFL.

“I think it should (change). The AFL have got some real decisions to make right now.

“This year and the next few are going to be highly compromised.”

Lance Collard during the 2023 AFL National Draft Combine. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Lance Collard during the 2023 AFL National Draft Combine. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Lance Collard was impressive at the 2023 AFL National Draft Combine. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Lance Collard was impressive at the 2023 AFL National Draft Combine. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Jones said there was clear inconsistency in the way different draft categories were treated.

“The fact that the North East seaboard clubs get full access to their academy players I feel there should be a little bit more lenience potentially (for NGA picks). Potentially a top 20 threshold which gives the clubs the incentive to put development into these kids. It is a good carrot for our young Indigenous kids and multicultural boys to work towards,” he said.

“Where it manifests with us is when we have got rural Indigenous kids – you need to relocate them and the AFL clubs are a great resource in terms of getting help with their work and things like that. It really is beneficial to make it as attractive to our local AFL clubs as you can.”

West Coast CEO Trevor Nisbett said the club’s list manager Rohan O’Brien had raised the issue several times with AFL officials.

“I think Rohan has been talking to the AFL on a consistent basis on the NGA rules as compared to Northern states rules, all the other rules that go along with this draft,” he said.

“They (Northern clubs) can match bids at any time. They don’t have to be NGA players – just academy players. Outside 40 is just extraordinary.”

“We have been liaising with the league and we have written to them a number of times to see whether there is an opportunity to change the rules. It needs to be changed. There is such a disparity between the rules now, between the categories – it needs to change.”

He said non-Victorian clubs had always been at a disadvantage to Victorian clubs when it came to father-son picks because of their shorter histories.

View attachment 1827668
Really good article. It is a joke that academies are different for clubs. Should be the same as far as matching goes. Will probably be another thing that changes just after we had a chance to snare a top prospect. Another rule change.

So a smarter move is picking KP players at 2 and 3 even if they are not worthy of being picked then?
I don’t think so!

No the smarter move is to take the KP/small forwards who ARE worthy of being picked at the top of the draft.

Everyone is of course entitled to their own analysis and preferences, and that's fine.

But I really struggle to wrap my head around people who want us to sit at 2 and 3 and take two midfielders.

It just boggles my mind how people think this will help us win short term OR long term.

Everyone is of course entitled to their own analysis and preferences, and that's fine.

But I really struggle to wrap my head around people who want us to sit at 2 and 3 and take two midfielders.

It just boggles my mind how people think this will help us win short term OR long term.
I thought nostra was banned ?

What’s with the repetitive messages about Curtin

In honour of the new thread, I'll repeat myself again and again and again;

Curtin at 2
Watson at 3

Get creative with trades/selections with picks 14 and 19.

Don't overcomplicate it.
Rawlings is desperate for pick 1 so he can pound his chest to prove what a great wheeler and dealer he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back