Opinion 2023 Pass mark (Nicks keeps job)

Minimum number of wins for a pass for AFC in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For me - Still in finals contention come Rd 20.

2022 was always going to be the plateau/regression year

I expect 2023 to be the year we improve. If we can't, I dont want to see Nicks hanging around beyond this year.
2021 was a year of regression. 2022, we played mostly of kids (hardly any games from Sloane, Crouch, and no Seeds).
Playing more kids + 1 more win = progression.

In past years, we were more reliant on the stability of our veterans. Whereas in 2023, we’re now relying more on the evolution of the youngsters. If the kids can continue to improve, then the win count should take care of itself.

For who? You,the club or Nicks?

I'm all for a bit of patience and tempered expectation but another two years before we push for the bottom of the 8 is crazy talk.
For both.

It's really not crazy talk at all. In 2023 we will still be the youngest & least experienced team in the competition, by a significant margin. Ground up rebuilds take a minimum of 7 years, and we're now only 3 full years into ours.

I expect 2023 to be another year like 2022, with a similar number of wins. In 2024 we should push up the ladder a bit, finishing just outside the 8. 2025 year will (hopefully) be the year that we return to the top-8.

For both.

It's really not crazy talk at all. In 2023 we will still be the youngest & least experienced team in the competition, by a significant margin. Ground up rebuilds take a minimum of 7 years, and we're now only 3 full years into ours.

I expect 2023 to be another year like 2022, with a similar number of wins. In 2024 we should push up the ladder a bit, finishing just outside the 8. 2025 year will (hopefully) be the year that we return to the top-8.

I'm not saying it won't take that long in reality. I just think there will be greater expectation from the club to see results earlier.

If 2025 is the target as you suggest, then Nicks essentially gets a free pass for 2 more seasons before comming under any real scrutiny. I can't see this as aligning with the Clubs POV at this stage.

I'm not saying it won't take that long in reality. I just think there will be greater expectation from the club to see results earlier.

If 2025 is the target as you suggest, then Nicks essentially gets a free pass for 2 more seasons before comming under any real scrutiny. I can't see this as aligning with the Clubs POV at this stage.
Nicks doesn't get a free pass at all - but his KPIs aren't dependent on him making finals in the next 2 years. There is a lot more to a ground-up rebuild than just the win-loss ratio.

Making these kind of emphatic statements is dumb. There is no way of knowing for sure as you can't predict the future and now you've set yourself up to be dunked on hard if your prediction doesn't pan out.
I'll repeat Mutineer statement ...... Nicks WILL BE the Crows Coach in 2024

ezgif-3-f49c1d28b0.gif

For who? You,the club or Nicks?

I'm all for a bit of patience and tempered expectation but another two years before we push for the bottom of the 8 is crazy talk.
It’s from the compendium along with Darcy Fogarty’s fitness ratings.

Making these kind of emphatic statements is dumb. There is no way of knowing for sure as you can't predict the future and now you've set yourself up to be dunked on hard if your prediction doesn't pan out.
Ooooh that really worries me...

I think not going backwards is a pass however finals contention in 2024 should be the minimum, which means in 2023 we best start preparing for life without Tex.

Nicks doesn't get a free pass at all - but his KPIs aren't dependent on him making finals in the next 2 years. There is a lot more to a ground-up rebuild than just the win-loss ratio.

I think that period has come to an end this year and is now just a romantic ideal.

Listen closely.You can hear it in Roos voice and the sweat on Nicks forehead is already beginning to bead.
Add to that the external noise ramping up big time when we arent pushing the bottom of the 8 end of this year, especially after recruitment of the Superstar Rankine, and I can't see this Club sticking with your timeline, even if this was their forecast at some point(I doubt it).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if this thread was made at the end of round 19 when we'd gone the last 12 games with only 2 wins, would people still be saying Nicks is safe as houses?

I think that period has come to an end this year and is now just a romantic ideal.

Listen closely.You can hear it in Roos voice and the sweat on Nicks forehead is already beginning to bead.
Add to that the external noise ramping up big time when we arent pushing the bottom of the 8 end of this year, especially after recruitment of the Superstar Rankine, and I can't see this Club sticking with your timeline, even if this was their forecast at some point(I doubt it).
I feel like all of this is you projecting.

Nicks needs to keep showing improvement in performance and a strong culture. There isn't a number he needs to meet in order to keep his job.

I feel like all of this is you projecting.

Nicks needs to keep showing improvement in performance and a strong culture. There isn't a number he needs to meet in order to keep his job.

Projecting? Not really. I'm more interested in eventually getting the right result and am on record here as disapproving of Ruccutios pressure inducing public commentary. I don't think Vader's 2025 timeline is that far off based on the list as it stands, but I don't think Nicks lasts that long based on what I know, see and have seen of this Club over the course.

So we finished 6 spots out of the 8 this year. By your logic, Nicks only has to improve our ladder position by one rung each year,whist building a good, solid, positive culture of incremental improvement as we traject towards the lofty heights of yesteryears mediocrity culture come 2028-29? Is this correct?
Or do we eventually throw some numbers on the table do you think?

Surely our drafting strategy gives you a hint as to the level of expectation?

I think you're tripping.

Last edited:
TBH, Vader is right about how long as a minimum before we are even average, wrong about it being normal.

We've not improved our festering turd of a midfield in any meaningful way for half a decade of abject failure. Until we do, why are we going to bounce up the ladder?

I expected 2022 plateau (Sophmore blues)
2023 push for finals - 10-13 wins
2024 a drop off (Sloane/Walker retirement and everyone else having to carry their own way) - 8-10 wins
2025 finals or bust. - 12+ wins
Doesn't Sophomore mean second year? This year was Nicks' third, and his second year was a huge improvement on his first.

And Nicks should already be gone. Another season of similar results he'll be building the worst head coaching resume for a protracted stay in history.

TBH, Vader is right about how long as a minimum before we are even average, wrong about it being normal.

We've not improved our festering turd of a midfield in any meaningful way for half a decade of abject failure. Until we do, why are we going to bounce up the ladder?

Yeah but the question is how long the Coach survives.

And Nicks should already be gone. Another season of similar results he'll be building the worst head coaching resume for a protracted stay in history.
If he survives 2023, would also mean that he's had double the length of time that all previous Crows coaches have been allowed to finish outside of finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2023 Pass mark (Nicks keeps job)

Back