Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As that video shows above me though, 4 umpires didn't make a difference despite a clear hold where the guys jumper was halfway up his back and a possible push in the back.
I can only go off what the AFL Ump told me and my group a few weeks back - I think from what he indicated come round 1 they’ll be red hot on it

I can only go off what the AFL Ump told me and my group a few weeks back - I think from what he indicated come round 1 they’ll be red hot on it
Let's hope so. The issue I believe will arrise if they adjudicate those things correctly though is that the media and fans will jump on the 'put the whistle away and let them play' bandwagon, rather than saying 'the game wouldn't stop every 30 seconds if players could play within the rules.'

Let's hope so. The issue I believe will arrise if they adjudicate those things correctly though is that the media and fans will jump on the 'put the whistle away and let them play' bandwagon, rather than saying 'the game wouldn't stop every 30 seconds if players could play within the rules.'
I don't envy the umps because these are often moot decisions and a lot of the players are very scientific in the way they go about it.

If they do go down the track of adjudicating these things more scrupulously all we can ask for is consistency.

Hopefully Ashcroft is judged as a first year player on his merits and not because he’s expected to play at a high level.
Would hate for the rising star selectors searching for reasons why someone else should win rather than compare apples with apples as they should.

Similar kinda sort of thing happens with Lebron James, not to start a different conversation, but he is almost expected to play at the level he does and gets overlooked as a result.

(…yes, I outlaid some cash)

You should read the Richmond board. Having four umps is clearly bias against the tigers hahaha

Hardwick himself has stated they push the boundaries and try to get away with as much niggle and agro as they can... But all their fans are then surprised they give away the most free kicks?

Are they still going on about bringing a class action lawsuit against the AFL because of the ARC?

Gotta love the handful of jumper he has as well. Should of been a free kick all day long

The Demon defender was showing that much midriff, it looked like he was wearing a boob tube. And the umps missed it?

A good nightmare to have tho. The kind ya wake up in shock but ya wanna get back to sleep to see how it ends.

Fages selections over the years has been pretty loyal to established first graders. So I think both Rich and Rayner will play round 1. After that it's up them to hold their spots.

I think that when the whips are cracking and points are on the line Rich will stand up. I hope he does, I'd hate to see him retire a reserve grader.

And Rayner, if not in the backs, I still think he holds his fwd/mid role. Some here have suggested he doesn't fit in to our fwd structure with 3 talls but the last cpl of years we played with Hippy, Joe n Mcstay and he fit in. All we've done is swap Mcstay for Gunston, still 3 talls, so I don't see how he won't fit now.

I'm exhausted trying to pick our round 1 team, trying to anticipate what will happen, thinking on the best 22/23 for the season. I'm happy now to just let the selection nightmare happen, wake up then see how it ends. I don't think it will end badly.

I get the feeling there will be more rotation and resting of 'older assets' this year as our depth will allow quality replacements to take the field.

With his 2 year extension Fagan will be cognisant of having to transition the squad for tomorrow, as well as having an eye on this years prize.

He really does have an embarrassment of riches now compared to when he started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling there will be more rotation and resting of 'older assets' this year as our depth will allow quality replacements to take the field.

With his 2 year extension Fagan will be cognisant of having to transition the squad for tomorrow, as well as having an eye on this years prize.

He really does have an embarrassment of riches now compared to when he started.
I’m not sure he will.

Fagan’s mantra has been, to this point, play his best players, often regardless of form.

I’m not sure he will.

Fagan’s mantra has been, to this point, play his best players, often regardless of form.

Indeed but it's not getting us closer to the prize, Fagan would be aware to make the final leap we have to stop playing it safe; he needs to roll the dice.

He's got some breathing space in his contract now to give him the scope to reach for the flag, rather than stalk it.

Indeed but it's not getting us closer to the prize, Fagan would be aware to make the final leap we have to stop playing it safe; he needs to roll the dice.

He's got some breathing space in his contract now to give him the scope to reach for the flag, rather than stalk it.
Fagan would have to really change his approach to go down this route. His coaching has been the epitome of playing it safe, until it’s the absolute last roll of the dice.

Coaches contracts in the AFL really only guarantee the coaches pay deal. There’s a clause in every AFL coach’s contract that they only receive a 6 month payout should they be fired.

I’m not sure he will.

But Fagan also learns and gotta think watching how Geelong have managed their senior players for ongoing success is a great lesson.

Hopefully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back