Preview 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Melbourne Friday June 2 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Alex Cincotta, Zac Fisher, Lochie O'Brien, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young
OUT: Corey Durdin (knee), George Hewett (concussion), Ollie Hollands (collarbone), Nic Newman (hamstring), Marc Pittonet (hand), Ed Curnow

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Lewis YoungMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningMatthew KennedyAdam Cerra
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellSam Docherty
Lochie O'Brien
Emergencies:Ed CurnowPaddy DowLachie Fogarty
Lachie Plowman

If SOS is on the ball & TDK playing lead up forward... and Pitto has a broken hand, who plays in the Ruck.. I could see Cotters giving us at least as much as Jack did when he went in.. Cotterell v Grundy & Gawn :think:

Mirkov and Young perhaps.

But who really knows, it's pin the tail on the donkey with this club atm and most likely we'll see TDK/JSOS - the dynamic dual again...

1 day and 90 minutes until the teams.

I really want to see about something innovative and would consider a couple of unforced changes to support the forced changes.

I think we will go ultra conservative though.

Voss will go:

Out: Newman In: Cincotta or Young
Out: Durdin In: Fisher
Out: Hewett In: E Curnow
Out: Pittonet In: Silvagni
Out: Hollands In: O'Brien

We'll all be sweating on Binns or Dow as the sub, depending on where your thoughts on Dow lie. We will probably get Cincotta if Young is selected in the 22 or we will get Fogarty since he has been in the emergencies for a few weeks.

Voss has already shown where his loyalties lie. Maybe the noise this week will see a big call but I'll believe it when I see it.

Chances of someone debuting or playing their first game of the season ... 50%.

90 minutes until the teams.

I really want to see about something innovative and would consider a couple of unforced changes to support the forced changes.

I think we will go ultra conservative though.

Voss will go:

Out: Newman In: Cincotta or Young
Out: Durdin In: Fisher
Out: Hewett In: E Curnow
Out: Pittonet In: Silvagni
Out: Hollands In: O'Brien

We'll all be sweating on Binns or Dow as the sub, depending on where your thoughts on Dow lie. We will probably get Cincotta if Young is selected in the 22 or we will get Fogarty since he has been in the emergencies for a few weeks.

Voss has already shown where his loyalties lie. Maybe the noise this week will see a big call but I'll believe it when I see it.

Chances of someone debuting or playing their first game of the season ... 50%.
Think you might be a day early ODN but fingers crossed we see Dow and Binns. Time to see if Dow has it once and for all. Binns deserves some exposure after a strong 2 month block in the VFL.

Think you might be a day early ODN but fingers crossed we see Dow and Binns. Time to see if Dow has it once and for all. Binns deserves some exposure after a strong 2 month block in the VFL.

Oh damn. Lost track of my week.

I also want to point out that if a selection out of the box is about to happen, we get tipped off early in interviews. I guess given a Friday game, we could see it tomorrow.

We will play Grundy into form this week -- expect the big man to have a night out --
I hope silvagni not forced to second ruck
Melbourne might play Harry into form this week ...

Paddy played his first game last year in a narrow loss to the pies (not the last round). Towards the end of the game in a narrow loss there were a couple of breakdowns in defensive pressure which allowed Sidebottom to be completely free which allowed him to kick or set up easy goals. Sidebottoms man had to push up to cover the ball carrier who had no pressure on him.

My take was that the coaching panel thought that Dow was responsible for those breakdowns. Absolutely impossible to know for sure but he was dropped the next week despite o.k stats.

Played one more game but it was clear that the coaching panel was doing it under sufferance and he played like he had the sword of Damocles hanging over him.

Impossible to know for sure but we have heard "lack of defensive pressure" over and over again. Just my take and I could be wrong.
Even if Dow was entirely responsible for those defensive break downs, it is insane from a coaching perspective to write off a player with another year and a half on their contract, after a single game.

It's not like the rest of our mids are impeccable defensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if Dow was entirely responsible for those defensive break downs, it is insane from a coaching perspective to write off a player with another year and a half on their contract, after a single game.

It's not like the rest of our mids are impeccable defensively.

I saw it mentioned that Dow chased and caught someone running from the forward 50 to the defensive 50.

We lament Dow because of his lack of defensive pressure but we have more of those in our senior side. He could easily go to another team that can cover for any of those deficiencies and do very well. Carlton can't cover for Cripp's deficiencies, let along anybody else's. We're a little hypocritical with Dow.

Think Binns gets a run, well, I would select him for Hollands

Suspect the changes will be

Hollands - Binns or LOB
Pitto - Young
Durdin - Fisher
Hewett - Ed
Newman - Cincotta

JSos or Fog the sub

Doc to the backline

There could be a surprising inclusion, Marchbank or Martin

I think you’re right. Although I would have Dow ahead of Ed. But given the MC keep playing Ed and Cerra got off, Dow unlikely to get a game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think you’re right. Although I would have Dow ahead of Ed. But given the MC keep playing Ed and Cerra got off, Dow unlikely to get a game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This week, I would be okay with Dow getting a run, pushing Walsh, Cerra, Cripps, Kennedy resting/rotating forward rather than Ed in the side

Just a little.
He's playing for an inside mid spot. But our other inside mids get moved out of position to give average at best performances at half forward or half back.
Just would like to see a shift in coaching philosophy towards what can you do for me as opposed to a negative pigeon holing of players.

Kennedy - 'great contested attacking minded mid. Shepherds and runs forward from a stoppage can take a mark and kick long goals.' - defence it is.

Just... Why. Put em where they're best! That includes Dow. I think there's room in that rotation if eds out and Kennedy plays forward mid.

This week, I would be okay with Dow getting a run, pushing Walsh, Cerra, Cripps, Kennedy resting/rotating forward rather than Ed in the side
You’d think cerra would be rotating half back with Doch. I also think Marchy could come in for Kennedy. In my opinion, I’d like to see Kemp play as the extra down back, not for aerial support but more for our ground work stuff that we can rebound from. Maybe we play kennedy as the sub to impact late. That way we’d have weiters and Marchy as the key backs, McGovern to play on a small to intercept in the air. Doch/Cerra, Boyd and Saad as our HHB and Kempy as the extra to support at stoppages and maybe even match up on Petracca when he goes forward.

You’d think cerra would be rotating half back with Doch.
I agree, but we need to move on from rotating mids in the back half

I also think Marchy could come in for Kennedy. In my opinion, I’d like to see Kemp play as the extra down back, not for aerial support but more for our ground work stuff that we can rebound
Kemp still worries me, I would prefer Marhbank of those 2

Maybe we play kennedy as the sub to impact late.

Just play him in the guts
That way we’d have weiters and Marchy as the key backs, McGovern to play on a small to intercept in the air.

Marchbank suffers when playing KPD
Doch/Cerra, Boyd and Saad as our HHB and Kempy as the extra to support at stoppages and maybe even match up on Petracca when he goes forward.
Kemp on Petracca would be a disaster. Gov for ariel competence, Cincotta for contested situations. Toss a coin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back