Preview 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Melbourne Friday June 2 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Alex Cincotta, Zac Fisher, Lochie O'Brien, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young
OUT: Corey Durdin (knee), George Hewett (concussion), Ollie Hollands (collarbone), Nic Newman (hamstring), Marc Pittonet (hand), Ed Curnow

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Lewis YoungMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningMatthew KennedyAdam Cerra
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellSam Docherty
Lochie O'Brien
Emergencies:Ed CurnowPaddy DowLachie Fogarty
Lachie Plowman

Bring in Young and make McGovern play second ruck. We're going to get beaten there anyway, but at least he can use his spring and roam around the ground. If he squibs the centre bounce contests it'll be obvious to all and we can permanently put a line through him.

Newman > Cincotta
Pittonet > Young
Hollands > Binns
C. Durdin > Fisher
Hewett > Dow
Sub: E. Curnow > O'Brien

With mounting injuries and no expectation, this will probably be our best performance of the season.

Does anyone in here have a logical reason for Dow not to be selected this week?
To my mind, with the outs we have, there is a spot there.

He’s an inside mid and we have several playing and who are better than him. Unfortunately he isn’t able to play elsewhere with the skill set he has.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If he's not selected this week, he'd be every chance to sit out the season from here on tbh as he'd clearly have no chance at a game and the club has something against him.

He’s an inside mid and we have several playing and who are better than him. Unfortunately he isn’t able to play elsewhere with the skill set he has.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He would also complement the slow work horse midfielders that we have in abundance. This excuse doesn’t cut it. Dow would balance our midfield group, that should consist, Cripps, Walsh. Cerra and Kennedy. That is our one wood but we refuse to rotate and play as a team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

yes, I can think of one

If the club has determined that he wont be on our list next year, then there is no reason to play him at the expense of someone who has a future ate Carlton

FB
17​
Brodie Kemp
23​
Jacob Weitering
39​
Alex Cincotta
HB
15​
Sam Docherty
11​
Mitch McGovern
42​
Adam Saad
C
18​
Sam Walsh
9​
Patrick Cripps
13​
Blake Acres
OB
12​
Tom De Koning
5​
Adam Cerra
7​
Matthew Kennedy
HF
46​
Matthew Cottrell
10​
Harry McKay
35​
Ed Curnow
FF
44​
Matthew Owies
30​
Charlie Curnow
3​
Jesse Motlop
Inter
37​
Jordan Boyd
2​
Paddy Dow
25​
Zac Fisher
33​
Lewis Young

OUTS
Newman, Durdin, Hollands, Hewett and Pittonet.

Maybe LOB for Sub.

Paddy played his first game last year in a narrow loss to the pies (not the last round). Towards the end of the game in a narrow loss there were a couple of breakdowns in defensive pressure which allowed Sidebottom to be completely free which allowed him to kick or set up easy goals. Sidebottoms man had to push up to cover the ball carrier who had no pressure on him.

My take was that the coaching panel thought that Dow was responsible for those breakdowns. Absolutely impossible to know for sure but he was dropped the next week despite o.k stats.

Played one more game but it was clear that the coaching panel was doing it under sufferance and he played like he had the sword of Damocles hanging over him.

Impossible to know for sure but we have heard "lack of defensive pressure" over and over again. Just my take and I could be wrong.

yes, I can think of one

If the club has determined that he wont be on our list next year, then there is no reason to play him at the expense of someone who has a future ate Carlton
Argument doesn’t stack- we play Ed who has no future. Dow at least could build draft equity if he performs well, off chance he kills it he could still be part of the future of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selection has to be principles based - players performing their role in the VFL whose inclusion would improve the team writ large. I want Dow selected, because I believe that to be the case. But the match committee think differently and I have to believe that it’s based on an objective, clear, strategic decision and not petty biases, agendas or perceived slights. That said, I hope he gets an opportunity to demonstrate what he has to offer. Can’t fault his resolve in the VFL.

Last edited:
Argument doesn’t stack- we play Ed who has no future. Dow at least could build draft equity if he performs well, off chance he kills it he could still be part of the future of the club.
Basically this.

The arguments that any of the decisions around Dow are personal just don’t stand up to scrutiny.

Given the pressure Voss and co are under, does anybody really think they’d sacrifice on-field performance to satisfy a petty grudge?

Rightly or wrongly they haven’t thought Dow being in the team will make us better. It’s really as simple as that.

FBBrodie KempJacob WeiteringJordan Boyd
HBSam DochertyTom De KoningLachie Cowan
CSam WalshAdam SaadAlex Cincotta
OBHarry McKayAdam CerraMatthew Kennedy
HFMatthew CottrellMitch McGovernPatrick Cripps
FFBlake AcresCharlie CurnowJaxon Binns
InterMatthew OwiesJack SilvaniZac Fisher
Lewis Young

OUTS
Newman, Durdin, Hollands, Hewett and Pittonet. Curnow, Motlop

I think he should be played, but I can understand why they dont if the club have formed a view he has no future with us.

As for Ed, yeah probably could have been dropped, but not necessarily for Dow for the reasons stated above

I think he should be played, but I can understand why they dont if the club have formed a view he has no future with us.

As for Ed, yeah probably could have been dropped, but not necessarily for Dow for the reasons stated above
You can’t as a club say he has no future with us thou.
He’s contracted, he’s playing well, you just can’t say NO he’s gone.
Just as much chance Voss will be gone before Paddy, the argument doesn’t stack.

FBBrodie KempJacob WeiteringJordan Boyd
HBSam DochertyTom De KoningLachie Cowan
CSam WalshAdam SaadAlex Cincotta
OBHarry McKayAdam CerraMatthew Kennedy
HFMatthew CottrellMitch McGovernPatrick Cripps
FFBlake AcresCharlie CurnowJaxon Binns
InterMatthew OwiesJack SilvaniZac Fisher
Lewis Young

OUTS
Newman, Durdin, Hollands, Hewett and Pittonet. Curnow, Motlop
Did you just copy and paste my format? ;)

As much as I have loved Ed Curnow as absolute competitor & team man i could work out why he was even sub last week & when him cam on for Hewett he was not reactive & got caught afew times kicking it looks to have gone on 1 year to many in my personal opinion ... surely there are other blokes we can give a crack for the remainder of the season & see if they are up to it or give them more exposure ...be an interesting selection this week.

I think the logical reason to pick Dow was negated last night when Cerra was freed to play. He almost had to be picked if Cerra was out but now, using our standard selection logic, Ed (who wasn't anywhere near our worst last week) could easily be seen by the M/C as the ideal replacement in the 22 for Hewitt. He has, after all, been picked every game this year.

That's the logic I would kind of expect. I don't agree with it for one minute but there it is in my view.

Having said that I fully expect Dow to be picked this week mainly due to the weight of public opinion and in the very likely event that we get smashed they can also give a big "told you so" to those of us who want to see him given his opportunity.

But spare a thought for him if that happens. The pressure on him will be enormous, he's minding a seat for a player struggling big time but will come straight in when cleared. On past selection practice he will, once again, be first man out regardless of the result unless he can actually pick up 5 coaches votes, not likely to get any more than that because the bar Vossy has set is far too high for Paddy.

I'd actually prefer him not to be picked unless we are prepared to give him a block of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back