Preview 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Melbourne Friday June 2 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Alex Cincotta, Zac Fisher, Lochie O'Brien, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young
OUT: Corey Durdin (knee), George Hewett (concussion), Ollie Hollands (collarbone), Nic Newman (hamstring), Marc Pittonet (hand), Ed Curnow

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Lewis YoungMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningMatthew KennedyAdam Cerra
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellSam Docherty
Lochie O'Brien
Emergencies:Ed CurnowPaddy DowLachie Fogarty
Lachie Plowman

Hugely optimistic headline of the week:

Dow stocks up - what took so long?
Perennially overlooked first round pick, Paddy Dow was finally recalled to the Blues senior side this week and helped the Blues to a drought-breaking boilover win against the Oliver-less Demons. Tallying 32 touches and icing the game with a fourth-quarter goal, Dow was sublime - silencing critics both inside and outside the club and raising a few eyebrows among more than a few AFL club recruiters.
Time will tell how long his stay will be at the top level, but for now - the Paddy Dow train is back on track.
Does the sports almanac also advise Dow is then dropped for the following game with Ed Curnow taking his spot?

Voss has definately missed a trick not selecting dow even if he doesnt have an impact on the game at AFL level his entire midfield has been out of sorts and thier punishment has been to be shifted to the hbf or made the sub and then back into the starting line up without showing the form to warrant it a week later while a guy who is racking up 30 and a goal week in week out cant get a look in.

It sends the message i dont care whos in form ill pick the guys who i think are better on the off chance they rediscover thier better form which makes them relax in the comfort and the guys below give up and stop pushing to get in.
They haven’t been sent there as a punishment he has shifted them there to keep them in the side. Even if they were dropped it’s unlikely he would want another midfielder in anyway.

If Cez, George and Crippa are all unavailable this week, I reckon they'd bring Ed back into the midfield to maintain some grunt. I have no idea why they're trying to turn him into a 'defensive forward' at 32 years of age - just dumb dumb dumb...almost as dumb as Kennedy being turned into a lock down defender.

Anyway - if those 3 are out, Ed into the guts along with Durdin, and bring Dow into the squad. Durds is badly out of form, but I'd rather they bring him into the play as a mid rather than dump him to kick the dew off the grass. He may even give the midfield some much needed spark, so why not? Fisher can come in as the extra 'small forward', and rotate with Durds if they want to give him the occasional run on the ball. Thought he was really good last week in the magoo's playing that role.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Binnsy come in for Ollie - but after hearing the interview with Ebert before the Willy VFL game a few weeks back, it sounds like they're keen on holding him back for the moment. So it'll probably be LOB for Ollie going by that.

Either Cincotta or JSOS coming in for Newy. I'd opt for Cincotta as the 7th defender, so we don't have to play Kennedy down back - EVER!!!! JSOS comes in as the sub.

And if the rumours are true with Pitto, unleash the big Mirk!!! I'd rather have him in tandem with TDK than JSOS. You never know, he may even give our depleted midfield first use of the ball more often than not. At this stage, we don't have much else to lose.

1. Durdin
2. Cripps
3. Hollands
4. Newman
5. Pittonet
6. Hewett

1. Silvagni
2. Dow
3. Fisher
4. Binns
5. Young
6. Cincotta

Boyd Weitering Kemp
Cincotta Young Saad
Acres Docherty Walsh
Motlop Curnow Cottrell
McGovern McKay Owies

DeKoning Kennedy Cerra

Silvagni Dow Fisher Binns

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than the forced changes I hope we finally drop one of the 3 small forwards.

They’re really ineffective.

Need a medium forward who demands it on a lead. Maybe McGovern.

Are you a masochist?

I agree about needing a medium forward and dropping one of the smalls. We badly need people who play with intensity up forward though.

Gov played forward against Collingwood only a few weeks ago and he wasn't close to being competitive.

Are you a masochist?

I agree about needing a medium forward and dropping one of the smalls. We badly need people who play with intensity up forward though.

Gov played forward against Collingwood only a few weeks ago and he wasn't close to being competitive.
We’re all masochists on this board for supporting the Blues.

We just need another target with presence that can find some space.

Enter Lachie Plowmans revitalised career.

It is a strange testament to where we are at, the weird depth of our list and atrocious recent performance that we may have 7 outs and yet i don't feel our team on paper and less likely to win

Still got Charlie and McKay up front. Still got Weiters, Saad and McGovern down back. Midfield still has Walsh and probably Docherty, along with Kennedy, Curnow, and then Cripps/Dow to play Melbourne without their best midfielder.

No Pittonet vs Gawn/Grundy? A month ago half this board wanted to Pittonet gone forwver and TDK to take the keys. Here is his chance.

Melbourne are gettable right now and as with every week it is all about us really. Can we play aggressive, attacking footy and try and win the game? If so, we are a red hot chance. Or will we continue to play defensive, cautious, footy with a loose man behind the play? In that case, we will (again) be playing ti limit the damage to a 5 goal loss from mid way throigh the second quarter.

At some point Vossy has to pull the ripcord and let rhe boys go out there to actually win one, right? It is pretty simple - kick 15 goals and we will win.

It is a strange testament to where we are at, the weird depth of our list and atrocious recent performance that we may have 7 outs and yet i don't feel our team on paper and less likely to win

Still got Charlie and McKay up front. Still got Weiters, Saad and McGovern down back. Midfield still has Walsh and probably Docherty, along with Kennedy, Curnow, and then Cripps/Dow to play Melbourne without their best midfielder.

No Pittonet vs Gawn/Grundy? A month ago half this board wanted to Pittonet gone forwver and TDK to take the keys. Here is his chance.

Melbourne are gettable right now and as with every week it is all about us really. Can we play aggressive, attacking footy and try and win the game? If so, we are a red hot chance. Or will we continue to play defensive, cautious, footy with a loose man behind the play? In that case, we will (again) be playing ti limit the damage to a 5 goal loss from mid way throigh the second quarter.

At some point Vossy has to pull the ripcord and let rhe boys go out there to actually win one, right? It is pretty simple - kick 15 goals and we will win.
Fair post this.

How we got beaten in the last 11 secs last yr v Dees with a skeleton midfield of Cripps, Walsh Doc & Setters emphasises this. Cerra, Hewett and MK all missing.

For this reason I think we’ll see Doc as a mid given how many mids will likely miss. Not ideal, but Cincotta back will help to cover for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back