Autopsy 2023 Rd 12 No end to misery in sight

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Dees?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So if I’m understanding Voss from the presser the game plan is the kamikaze style football we played in the 3rd qtr. The problem is however that the players are not confident to play that style, maybe because it’s manic and chaotic, from the start of the game.

So the way Voss wants us to play is risky corridor kicks, wild disconnected running and random handballs resulting in a wild blast into F50?

And he then wonders why the players have no confidence to play that way, and only do it when the game is all but lost! Seems illogical to me.

Where is the overlap run? the running in waves of chained handballs? The quick transition and clean entries to 1v1s or leading forwards? That’s exciting footy.

I don’t want to sack Voss. But I struggle to see the method to his madness.

It won’t just be vossy, it will be many more (other coaches, president, players etc)

But it will begin with Vossy
And that is the real problem with this club. Tell me who in their right mind would want to coach us with our absurd record of sacking coaches when the going gets a bit tough? What sort of job security does being the coach of Carlton hold? Bugger all. Voss has been in charge for roughly 32ish games (can't be stuffed looking up the actual number) and we want to sack him?? This is getting quite tedious really!!

I thought tonight's performance was better than last week's by a stretch. I saw plenty of effort and some great signs from players like Harry, Cerra, and Kemp in particular. I still believe that there are quite a few players that aren't AFL quality in that 22 and hopefully we see some moves made over the offseason. I'm not saying that we need another rebuild but we do need to refresh the list.

I expected us to be beaten by a lot more considering the quality of the opposition that we faced. It's going to take more than one game to be able to turn things around. At least we saw something. The rest of the season needs to just be about getting better and hopefully, some of our better players emerge from the funk that they are in. We can wait until the end of the year to make big decisions on coaching etc. Obviously, you can start looking at things that need improving now but remove the senior coach now, no.
Hallelujah, thank you G-man.

we should just put some version of this headline on repeat; "Brave" Blues, fight hard, But Cant Get it Done.

Even though we aren't getting blown out, the ease at which the opposition scores and the absolute grind it takes for everyone of our goals is frightening. We may try hard... but, wow, we are poorly skilled, poorly coached, with minimal ability to handle pressure when its thrown our way. A long long way off where we all hoped we'd be at this stage of rebuild.

We have a few decent young players, but no more (and probably less) of them then most clubs.

Why did people think the misery would end.

The players want use to feel miserable. They feed off its. That's the only explanation for how such a talllenrted list could form this poorly. They're a disgrace... no team could perform like this unless they want to lose.

**** fhem.. Strip them fo the jersey and drop them all.

The club needs to gut the list including senior players at least a season before changing the senior coach to make the players accountable.
I agree that players need to be accountable but no to gutting the list of senior players, we have plenty we need to move on who are just fringe-type players. We aren't at ground zero.

That first half. Just about the most depressing of the year. SO much discussion about our rubbishly slow ball movement and we come out and do the exact same god awful bullshit. There are a lot of queries about this team but the question on Voss has been answered.

He cannot coach. He just cannot coach.

This post was on P4 or so. Not sure i'll read much more of the thread. It's all pretty much been said over the last month repeatedly.

NOBODY wants Voss to be a dud. I desperately want Voss to be a good coach. Hell, even competant would suffice for a while. I'm absolutely positive the Club WANTS desperately to stick by Voss.

But he has done exactly what Nathan Buckley did to a quality list, and what Leon Cameron did to a quality list. Absolutely drain them of any semblance of freedom, attack and enjoyment....in the pursuit of lack of errors. The only result that can happen with this approach is the seizing up of a footy side. Confidence drained teamwide. Completely constipated. No movement.

Football is a game where you have to give confidence. Not try to stubbornly eliminate error. It is self defeating. Lack of confidence is the number 1 driver of error.

It is completely scary how Voss has followed the path of Buckley and Cameron. And completely scary how he seems to be as equally stubborn as those 2 mules.

I don't know if it is possible to get these types to listen and learn once they get so dug in. Justin Longmuir got himself in this kind of hole for about 6 weeks. But then quickly listened, learned and adjusted. So did Bevo for a while. So did Hinkley for a while.

But when it goes past 20 weeks with the coach showing no inkling of acknowledgement of his catastrophic error, then the signs aren't good lol.

It is impossible that 30 players ALL lose form and confidence at the same time by their own doing.

They have been seized up, and completely lost confidence in themselves and each other.

The club needs to gut the list including senior players at least a season before changing the senior coach to make the players accountable.
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

I thought tonight's performance was better than last week's by a stretch. I saw plenty of effort and some great signs from players like Harry, Cerra, and Kemp in particular. I still believe that there are quite a few players that aren't AFL quality in that 22 and hopefully we see some moves made over the offseason. I'm not saying that we need another rebuild but we do need to refresh the list.

I expected us to be beaten by a lot more considering the quality of the opposition that we faced. It's going to take more than one game to be able to turn things around. At least we saw something. The rest of the season needs to just be about getting better and hopefully, some of our better players emerge from the funk that they are in. We can wait until the end of the year to make big decisions on coaching etc. Obviously, you can start looking at things that need improving now but remove the senior coach now, no.

I actually thought we were poor. We got slaughtered in contested ball and turned it over repeatedly. As evidenced by the inside count it was only really their wastefulness in front of goals that kept us in it.

There were some really good effort from a dozen or so of them when you consider we also had about 8 or 9 guys out there tonight who shouldn’t be playing afl. We have a very long way to go before we are a good side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our smalls are the worst transitioning fwds you will see and are absolutely no threat when the ball hits the ground and can't kick -- whenever we cause a turnover they don't commit to find space or get back to feet of the contest - they also struggle stopping transition transition the other way --
Until we are not hamstrung by there incompetence I don't expect much whoever the coach ..
We getting oppurtinities and we were able to hold for long periods today..
But outside of two talls there I. No class in the front half .. the amount of goals scored by marking targets on average is low league wide - this is why we struggle .. defensively the last couple weeks we have been much better ..
onto next year williams a big loss would change our style of play totally..

I actually thought we were poor. We got slaughtered in contested ball and turned it over repeatedly. As evidenced by the inside count it was only really their wastefulness in front of goals that kept us in it.

There were some really good effort from a dozen or so of them when you consider we also had about 8 or 9 guys out there tonight who shouldn’t be playing afl. We have a very long way to go before we are a good side.
The bolded is exactly what I was referring to, you can't fix that overnight.

The senior leadership of the playing group are not up to it.
Then you review the leadership structure at the end of the year, not trade them out completely. Some people are natural leaders, some become burdened by the responsibility. It's a bit of a drastic measure to take.
We need to get better than just chopping people out rather than addressing where the weaknesses lie and do something to improve things.

Then you review the leadership structure at the end of the year, not trade them out completely. Some people are natural leaders, some become burdened by the responsibility. It's a bit of a drastic measure to take.
We need to get better than just chopping people out rather than addressing where the weaknesses lie and do something to improve things.
Who are you, and why are you making so much sense? I think you're lost. Maybe should of taken that right turn at Albuquerque??

Our smalls are the worst transitioning fwds you will see and are absolutely no threat when the ball hits the ground and can't kick -- whenever we cause a turnover they don't commit to find space or get back to feet of the contest - they also struggle stopping transition transition the other way --
Until we are not hamstrung by there incompetence I don't expect much whoever the coach ..
We getting oppurtinities and we were able to hold for long periods today..
But outside of two talls there I. No class in the front half .. the amount of goals scored by marking targets on average is low league wide - this is why we struggle .. defensively the last couple weeks we have been much better ..
onto next year williams a big loss would change our style of play totally..
I agree, this is a huge problem at the moment, having two Coleman medallists and a Brownlow medallist in the team isn't enough, they need help. Surround them with some players that actually make it easier for them to shine, unfortunately, we don't appear to have enough of those types of players, particularly on the forward line. people bang on about us having such a high quality list, for mine, we have an incomplete list which is the greatest disappointment after 8 years.

We have hung on to too many ordinary or injury prone players for far too long. For some reason, we have a tendency to extend the contracts of players who haven't really shown all that much. We need to improve in many areas, not just Coaching.

I would hope that somebody like Brian Cook is reviewing all areas of the club and not just focusing on quick fixes, looking for messiahs, etc.

Can’t believe Voss just said this in the post-match presser:

‘We couldn’t get our offense going at times, but I felt nourishment in our strong defense’

‘Our ability to score was certainly lacking, but somehow I feel strangely nourished by our other efforts around the ground’
Seriously Vossy....you can make a sh!t sandwich with 100% whole grain bread which will give you nourishment....but at the end of the day, it's still a sh!t sandwich.

dow - people have been picked on the ground the following week for less after being the sub. made that fluff where he didn't have the distance on the tacklers that he thought he did. not enough body of work for pro/anti dow to shame the other side yet, but signs were encouraging.
fisher - he is far too good to be playing this shit. not getting on the end of any handball chains where his excellent evasiveness can come into play and break lines. his play in the defensive 50 was bad, but that being the case it also points to a lack of coaching. why does he not know to stand on the actual mark there? doesn't need to know because he spends his time in the front half?
we look a lot more dynamic with cincotta, dow and boyd zipping around (saad well down). it's almost as if we transplant some of the effort of this week into last week, it might have been enough to win.
gonna have to keep playing kemp. lost some contests but also won. think we'd be more forgiving if it was a first year 10 gamer instead of however old he is.

depends on the day whether the good bits of acres makes up for the bad. has a dip in the contest and in the air, can sink a long range and clever into 50 on occasion where others will bomb. but then will miss a 30 metre pass by 5 metres. disposal not consistently poor but erratic, which acres turns up next time?
think we've found another position for kennedy in the centre square.
walsh, owies and cottrell all had a mare.
motlop is a little kid and did some typical not-so-good forward pocket things. probably has the highest ceiling of our small forwards and seems to be able to get involved in general play a lot more than someone like owies, who admittedly is better closer to goal right now.
curnow pretty much unsighted. no surprise given may and lever are some of the best defenders, and made even better by the way the ball came in.

harry improved his overall game rather than just fixing his yips (mostly). seems to understand that confidence comes from good play anywhere rather than just shooting at goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 12 No end to misery in sight

Back