Preview 2023 Rd 19 Carlton vs West Coast Saturday July 22 2:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

*EDIT - UPDATE:

IN: Lachie Cowan, Ed Curnow, Ollie Hollands, Josh Honey
OUT: Jordan Boyd (suspension), Adam Cerra (hamstring), Patrick Cripps (cork), Harry McKay (knee), Jack Martin (calf tightness.

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam WalshOliver HollandsSam Docherty
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyJosh HoneyJesse Motlop
Forwards:Jack SilvagniCharlie CurnowDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningGeorge HewettBlake Acres
Interchange:Matthew CottrellLachie CowanEd Curnow
Paddy Dow
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsZac FisherCaleb Marchbank
Lewis Young

Last edited:
But the general consensus I've read from posters here who do watch VFL is that John Howard is more likely to groom his eyebrows than Lemmey having any effect up forwards, even against the Eagles.
One of my family members is named Howie for this very reason.

He's a dog.

This. As I keep saying, think some people should just support Dow when he moves on the end of the year to whichever new club he lands at.

Seems people are weirdly more invested in him succeeding than the club.
It's even more weird if you can't do both.

Neither am I. But the general consensus I've read from posters here who do watch VFL is that John Howard is more likely to groom his eyebrows than Lemmey having any effect up forwards, even against the Eagles.

I suppose without a natural replacement would Lemmey be any worse than Young or playing TDK as a permanent forward. Sometimes these kids just need a chance, even if thrown in before they are ready and often, they will surprise.

This. As I keep saying, think some people should just support Dow when he moves on the end of the year to whichever new club he lands at.

Same people who were posting about how well Setterfield & Stocker were doing at their new clubs.. Stocker is still playing and doing okay, but we are not missing him and Setterfield did well early before his injury but the reason he was delisted would still be relevant in that he wouldnt be getting a game in front of what we already have.

People are also weirdly invested in him not getting an opportunity & playing (in his preferred position/role).

People want him to play as they want the club to succeed.

Likely to see it happen this week with Cerra managed, full game as a inside mid & let’s see what happens

I suppose without a natural replacement would Lemmey be any worse than Young or playing TDK as a permanent forward. Sometimes these kids just need a chance, even if thrown in before they are ready and often, they will surprise.
He would be some distance worse.

He’s a reasonable prospect. But even against the largely inexperienced Eagles backline he’d be physically dominated and a liability.

He’s one for a fair way into the future. Would almost be unfair to him to chuck him in just yet for me

He would be some distance worse.

He’s a reasonable prospect. But even against the largely inexperienced Eagles backline he’d be physically dominated and a liability.

He’s one for a fair way into the future. Would almost be unfair to him to chuck him in just yet for me
Not necessarily. Lemmey is a lot like Marshall at Port, not physical but a smart player with a good kick. Could easily get into position and kick 4 against WC if we were to play like we did on the weekend. The issue is we need to be preparing to play the Pies and in that game he is likely to be invisible.

Amazed there are some who think Lemmey is a chance here. He isn't.

19 year old first year player with a dozen VFL games under his belt. In most of those games he's had next to no impact.

Had a good game against Coburg a fortnight ago - probably the best of his young career - but West Coast are no Coburg. Not even this iteration of West Coast.

I've got high hopes for him but he's not ready for senior footy against any opponent. Especially not in our current position where we need to continue building momentum as we push for a finals berth. We have 45 on the list currently...he'd probably be 43rd in line for a game.

But McKay is out and Lemmey is a tall forward so all rhyme and reason seems to go out the window for some. It's crazy.

People are also weirdly invested in him not getting an opportunity & playing (in his preferred position/role).

People want him to play as they want the club to succeed.

Likely to see it happen this week with Cerra managed, full game as a inside mid & let’s see what happens
He got his opportunity vs Port and didn't take it. I was excited to see him get a chance to play the majority of the game but he showed exactly why he won't be on our list next year. Minimal impact with a sprinkling of skill errors. Hopefully if he gets a full game against West Coast he can show what he is capable of at his best. It's disappointing but not every high draft pick will live up to their potential. I hope he gets his chance on another list and turns his career around. Most of the players that we have let go recently haven't changed much at their new clubs eg SPS. Setterfield and Stocker have been able to show they are capable footballers but doubt they would be getting regular gametime if they had remained on our list.

He got his opportunity vs Port and didn't take it. I was excited to see him get a chance to play the majority of the game but he showed exactly why he won't be on our list next year. Minimal impact with a sprinkling of skill errors. Hopefully if he gets a full game against West Coast he can show what he is capable of at his best. It's disappointing but not every high draft pick will live up to their potential. I hope he gets his chance on another list and turns his career around. Most of the players that we have let go recently haven't changed much at their new clubs eg SPS. Setterfield and Stocker have been able to show they are capable footballers but doubt they would be getting regular gametime if they had remained on our list.
Got game time - Yes
Played as a inside mid- No

He was named as, brought on & played as sub.
Wasn’t played as an inside mid, given there’s likely to be an actual slot to fill in the midfield this week- that’s an opportunity.
Game time playing a role that isn’t a strength isn’t an opportunity- he did what he was told to, playing a kick outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazed there are some who think Lemmey is a chance here. He isn't.

19 year old first year player with a dozen VFL games under his belt. In most of those games he's had next to no impact.

Had a good game against Coburg a fortnight ago - probably the best of his young career - but West Coast are no Coburg. Not even this iteration of West Coast.

I've got high hopes for him but he's not ready for senior footy against any opponent. Especially not in our current position where we need to continue building momentum as we push for a finals berth. We have 45 on the list currently...he'd probably be 43rd in line for a game.

But McKay is out and Lemmey is a tall forward so all rhyme and reason seems to go out the window for some. It's crazy.

It was a consideration and an acknowledgement that we are somewhat compromised regardless of what we do as we do not have a ready made replacement for Harry, particularly if we want to keep the same structure. I would like us to persist with teh TDK/JSOS ruck combo which means neither can be a standalone forward, and nothing i have seen from Young suggests to me he can play as a key forward.. From the little I have seen of Lemmey, he appears to have a good workrate, can get up the ground and provide an outlet similar to Harry and take a decent mark. We dont really need him to take 15 marks and kick 5 goals.. we just need him to draw an opponent so that Charlie isnt competing against 3 men.

Clarification - do you mean a lot of players will be rested against the Eagles?

Yeah.

No cerra and cripps.
star wars no GIF

It was a consideration and an acknowledgement that we are somewhat compromised regardless of what we do as we do not have a ready made replacement for Harry, particularly if we want to keep the same structure. I would like us to persist with teh TDK/JSOS ruck combo which means neither can be a standalone forward, and nothing i have seen from Young suggests to me he can play as a key forward.. From the little I have seen of Lemmey, he appears to have a good workrate, can get up the ground and provide an outlet similar to Harry and take a decent mark. We dont really need him to take 15 marks and kick 5 goals.. we just need him to draw an opponent so that Charlie isnt competing against 3 men.

That's not true though. If we are looking to keep the same structure, there are options without looking at Lemmey.

Pittonet, Young, Durdin, even Honey.

All could either play as key forwards, or free up someone already in the side to play that role.

Strange to suggest a first gamer in Lemmey would 'draw an opponent' but others wouldn't because you can't see them playing as key forwards.

That's not true though. If we are looking to keep the same structure, there are options without looking at Lemmey.

Pittonet, Young, Durdin, even Honey.

All could either play as key forwards, or free up someone already in the side to play that role.

Strange to suggest a first gamer in Lemmey would 'draw an opponent' but others wouldn't because you can't see them playing as key forwards.

I think Lemmey is going to be a solid player eventually but you are right. He is still so raw and nowhere near AFL level at this stage of his development.

We beat Port by 50 points without McKay and we are playing West Coast without McGovern. Keep a small fast forward line worked on Sat no reason why it won't work this weekend against a horrifically under performing West Coast.
No major changes really required bar bringing in cover for Boyd which should prob be Cowan and I would bring in Young for Harry and push SOS fwd. Dow in for Cerra if Cerra doesn't get up.

If Charlie has three opponents there are likely 2 free Blues somewhere.

Dow will always be behind Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, Walsh, even rotations such as Doc, Cuners

If he plays against WC, he will likely gather 20-25 touches, but it's always about what he does with those touches, involving himself in chains and more importantly defensive acts, all of which have been average

Like Eddie, he’ll never be booed or abused by me
And I hope he kills it, just not against us…and if he does I’ll be reminding everyone here very quickly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back