Autopsy 2023 Rd 22 Blues win a thriller. Finals closer.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Dees?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the thing, Melbourne literally threw everything at us. Everything. It looked like we might break them open a few times but Melbourne simply don't break. That's why this win is something special, I cant remember a harder tougher win in my Carlton life (born in 76) including '99 Prelim and many more.
I reckon Harry and a couple of the others play and Melbourne would have broke last night. If we brought that elite pressure we brought for 4 quarters last night with our best 22 in … I dunno but I reckon they may have broke.

Just thought while the temporary ban was lifted, I would clear the air regarding last nights words, because its still seems I am copping some vitriol for all of it. Almost as if I had killed my neighbours dog in cold blood.

I will apologise for the poor wording I chose. I take responsibility for this. But hear me out:

1. At no stage did I discredit our team's performance nor discouraged any of our supporters celebrating the victory.

At the time, I simply stated I didn't understand the chest-beating. Never did I say people weren't allowed to.
If anything, the celebrating should be encouraged. Despite all the controversies, a win is a win. And I can certainly affirm that the boys played better than Melbourne last night. The pressure thoughout the game was immense. All the tackles along with the risks they continued to take breaking through the corridor was electric.

2. At no stage have I talked down our current form and the winning streak.
Whilst I do have a habit of expressing doubts and awaiting disappointment (having been so accustomed to such things in today's day and age with my club), I have always allowed the boys to prove me wrong. In fact, I'm corssing my fingers all the time, hoping to be proven wrong.

And I must say, this team has changed.

The way the boys have performed over these wins is nothing like I have ever seen before from Carlton in my time of following footy. I love how system-based it is and how everybody is carrying an even load. This is even better than early last year, where the only thing Carlton had going for them was an elite contested game in the midfield. This time, there seems to be many more layers added to the team's approach.

In the past it was Cripps and his fellow stars (Weitering, Docherty, C. Curnow, Walsh, McKay) or bust. This time we are seeing EVERY single player with an impact... even the sub. And it's the unheralded players outside the four walls helping get it done. Kemp, Cincotta, Cottrell, Owies, Fogarty, Dow, Cuningham, Boyd (whenever he plays) etc.

I would even go far as saying that the style of footy we play is indeed deserving of this year's flag. Premiership sides are often made with good systems and even loads. The only reason why I don't see it happening personally is due to the fact that they'll pretty much finish outside of top 4. I still consider the Bulldogs 2016 season an anomaly and one that is extremely unlikely to ever be repeated. But I take it one week at a time and once again, I always hope to be proven wrong.

3. About that score review...
I did have rushed thoughts on it, and they were made before seeing any of the still shots currently going around (especially the one involving the right forearm). But after waking up this morning and looking at several of those shots and slow-motion clips, I've come to it being a 50-50 line-ball decision. It isn't any guarantee Marchbank touched it from our side, but there isn't any guarantee he didn't. In the end, a decision is going to be made by the goal umpire who is in the best position of them all and whatever happens from there with the ARC is out of anyone's control except those behind the technology.

I will concede that such moments happen frequently thoughout the season and I got caught up in the weight of this one given the time it took place. I am not in anyway bothered by what other salty supporters think of it. I only ever wanted for the boys to succeed with nothing but the resilience and brutality they are displaying. This deserves all the attention, as the formline shows it. The talk shouldn't be how Melbourne should have won the game off that kick at all. It's simply the blues winning fair because they played better and nothing else.

If anything, I do see that Van Rooyen trip against Cincotta as a bigger screw up by the umpires. Then again Petracca did throw the ball for a score involvement. And Gawn did avoid giving away a 50m penalty when he proabably shouldn't have. The umpires aren't perfect and every decision missed if they were to pay them would lead to a different series of events than those which have played out.

-------

So do calm the farm you lot. I will take responsibility for my poor choice of words. But I am human.
I have my fair share of struggles right now outside of footy which might be impacting my mind a little (like having to deal with the passing of my grandmother on Thursday and attending the funeral this coming Wednesday, but this is another story).

I too am a proud blues supporter since I was 5 years old when all the pain started, not once have I walked away. I want success no more than the next blue-bagger.
I'm sorry for your loss, TeeJay.

The melts on ALL the team boards is riveting. Suspect they are all getting a bit nervous about a possible Carlton juggernaut....
Carlton has been unconscious for the last 20 years after the AFL beat us down... we're awake now... We Are Carlton, **** The Rest!

I'm sorry for your loss, TeeJay.

I appreciate that. Thank you.

It's a little greater of a challenge to deal with her passing as I am currently living in her house of 50 odd years. Everywhere I turn, I'm left with memories of her. She was too my most loving of the granparents so it hurts more than losing the others, even if she was A Collingwood supporter.

Just thought while the temporary ban was lifted, I would clear the air regarding last nights words, because its still seems I am copping some vitriol for all of it. Almost as if I had killed my neighbours dog in cold blood.

I will apologise for the poor wording I chose. I take responsibility for this. But hear me out:

1. At no stage did I discredit our team's performance nor discouraged any of our supporters celebrating the victory.

At the time, I simply stated I didn't understand the chest-beating. Never did I say people weren't allowed to.
If anything, the celebrating should be encouraged. Despite all the controversies, a win is a win. And I can certainly affirm that the boys played better than Melbourne last night. The pressure thoughout the game was immense. All the tackles along with the risks they continued to take breaking through the corridor was electric.

2. At no stage have I talked down our current form and the winning streak.
Whilst I do have a habit of expressing doubts and awaiting disappointment (having been so accustomed to such things in today's day and age with my club), I have always allowed the boys to prove me wrong. In fact, I'm corssing my fingers all the time, hoping to be proven wrong.

And I must say, this team has changed.

The way the boys have performed over these wins is nothing like I have ever seen before from Carlton in my time of following footy. I love how system-based it is and how everybody is carrying an even load. This is even better than early last year, where the only thing Carlton had going for them was an elite contested game in the midfield. This time, there seems to be many more layers added to the team's approach.

In the past it was Cripps and his fellow stars (Weitering, Docherty, C. Curnow, Walsh, McKay) or bust. This time we are seeing EVERY single player with an impact... even the sub. And it's the unheralded players outside the four walls helping get it done. Kemp, Cincotta, Cottrell, Owies, Fogarty, Dow, Cuningham, Boyd (whenever he plays) etc.

I would even go far as saying that the style of footy we play is indeed deserving of this year's flag. Premiership sides are often made with good systems and even loads. The only reason why I don't see it happening personally is due to the fact that they'll pretty much finish outside of top 4. I still consider the Bulldogs 2016 season an anomaly and one that is extremely unlikely to ever be repeated. But I take it one week at a time and once again, I always hope to be proven wrong.

3. About that score review...
I did have rushed thoughts on it, and they were made before seeing any of the still shots currently going around (especially the one involving the right forearm). But after waking up this morning and looking at several of those shots and slow-motion clips, I've come to it being a 50-50 line-ball decision. It isn't any guarantee Marchbank touched it from our side, but there isn't any guarantee he didn't. In the end, a decision is going to be made by the goal umpire who is in the best position of them all and whatever happens from there with the ARC is out of anyone's control except those behind the technology.

I will concede that such moments happen frequently thoughout the season and I got caught up in the weight of this one given the time it took place. I am not in anyway bothered by what other salty supporters think of it. I only ever wanted for the boys to succeed with nothing but the resilience and brutality they are displaying. This deserves all the attention, as the formline shows it. The talk shouldn't be how Melbourne should have won the game off that kick at all. It's simply the blues winning fair because they played better and nothing else.

If anything, I do see that Van Rooyen trip against Cincotta as a bigger screw up by the umpires. Then again Petracca did throw the ball for a score involvement. And Gawn did avoid giving away a 50m penalty when he proabably shouldn't have. The umpires aren't perfect and every decision missed if they were to pay them would lead to a different series of events than those which have played out.

-------

So do calm the farm you lot. I will take responsibility for my poor choice of words. But I am human.
I have my fair share of struggles right now outside of footy which might be impacting my mind a little (like having to deal with the passing of my grandmother on Thursday and attending the funeral this coming Wednesday, but this is another story).

I too am a proud blues supporter since I was 5 years old when all the pain started, not once have I walked away. I want success no more than the next blue-bagger.
Sorry for your loss TeeJay. Grief is a terrible thing to deal with my friend. Concentrate on your family. It's going to take a while to get over the loss.

None of them are bringing what Fog currently is.

Changing up our HFF with Fogarty, Martin and Cuningham has transformed our season. We can’t move away from that.

If good players have to miss out then so be it. That means we’re in a good position.
Sure, but we're not leaving Walsh or Cerra in the magoos.

I'd think Curnow out, dow sub again.

Could argue fish goes out, doc full time defence.

Then we need to get McKay in.

Then more difficult decisions for McGovern and Kennedy.

All this 'let good players miss out' is just fairyland talk.

But yes, the half forward line has completely changed our dynamic.

Tough calls coming up but 3-5 players from yesterday's team won't play our first final (if we make it).

There were so many moments in the game involving different players that were crucial to our winning, I find it hard to single out individuals. The reason we are doing so well, even with so many good players out, is that they are playing as a team, committed to each other and willing to sacrifice their own games when needed. It is the collective efforts that we are seeing that please me the most.

I can't see Hollands going out.

That game indicated that we were the better side when fresher, but Melbourne came back as we tired and lost run.

We dominated early but didn't get the scoreboard reward. After half time we got out to a 14 point lead and they reeled it back in by 3 quarter time. Again in the last, we get out to an 18 point lead and they nearly catch us at the end.

We still need all the run we can get, which will keep Hollands in ahead of a few others IMO.
I could imagine Doc taking Fishers spot but his best football has been on a wing. Acres and Doc on the wing with Cottrell helping out for me.
We have two midfielders to come in so we lose say Dow plus another player who has been playing in there, Doc. Doc also has only had small minutes in the midfield which means one of the midfielders is probably going to have to play another role a substantial amount of time. For me that’s Walsh to HF/Wing part time mid.
Harry will replace a small forward, Gov probably Marchbank. Either way we lose 2 flankers/wings somewhere. I can’t see them dropping two small forwards for a mid and a tall forward and I think Cottrell is getting a game ahead of Hollands.

For me it’ll probably end up

Cincotta Weitering Newman
Saad Kemp McGovern
Doc Cerra Acres
Cottrell McKay Walsh
Martin Curnow Cuningham

TDK Cripps Hewett

Pitto Owies Fogarty Fisher
Dow sub.

Walsh and Cottrell can help out on the wing, Doc push back if needed.
Walsh, Cuningham, Fog and Doc spend time in the midfield when needed and Dow as sub.
Wings and Midfield is loaded and plenty of runner now

Fisher probably only needs a bad game and he will be dropped. Doc the will probably be sent back and Hollands gets a game but there is a chance they play Marchbank back taking Fishers 7th defender spot.
It’s going to be interesting if we get a fit side.

I thought we looked super dangerous with TDK and Silvagni as 2nd ruck going forward, instead of McKay.
Jack more useful all over the ground, but lets us play another runner.
And with Jack floating forward he’s too smart for the opposition to ignore and double team Charlie like they have the last 2 weeks.

They’re not the same, but not how we play both Kennedy and Hewett. We need to keep the speed in the side, so one 1 of these 2. Kennedy preference as he’s more dangerous in front of goal, but we can afford to wait until he’s fully fit. I’d play Hollands as last starting bench for extra run.

Dow unlucky to miss but it’s him or Cerra.

I would have one of Hewett/Kennedy. Dow gives us something no other player does. When he plays with confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, but we're not leaving Walsh or Cerra in the magoos.

I'd think Curnow out, dow sub again.

Could argue fish goes out, doc full time defence.

Then we need to get McKay in.

Then more difficult decisions for McGovern and Kennedy.

All this 'let good players miss out' is just fairyland talk.

But yes, the half forward line has completely changed our dynamic.

Tough calls coming up but 3-5 players from yesterday's team won't play our first final (if we make it).

Walsh, Cerra and McKay are locks, but not at the expense of a pressure HFF in Fog

I dont usually pay much attention to main board threads or excuses oppo fans come up with but the autopsy thread on the main board is a deadset salt mine.

There's one particular poster, let's say his name starts with Dan.....no that's too obvious, it ends with ster is really having a bad time to the point he's delusional, he actually thinks Melbourne won. It's just delicious.

I dont usually pay much attention to main board threads or excuses oppo fans come up with but the autopsy thread on the main board is a deadset salt mine.

There's one particular poster, let's say his name starts with Dan.....no that's too obvious, it ends with ster is really having a bad time to the point he's delusional, he actually thinks Melbourne won. It's just delicious.

He is SOOOOOO SALTY 😂

best win of the year , insane !

Notable mentions

Patrick Cripps
3 brownlow votes, was the engine behind all 3 of our match winning goals to open the 4th- his presence is that of a captain that wants to and can win a flag in 2023

TDK
immense , has physicality , I reckon 1 more preseason and possibly a top 3 ruck in the league - said this before , rucks in 2023 are a lot more than hit outs , what he does is start that forward pressure and desperation and it’s contagious; the mids follow through

Paddy Dow
Wow , physical and very good footy smarts - that fall over the ball in Q4 to get the free kick was EVERYTHING!!
I don’t know what to say about his spot but Voss has a huge selection headache, especially since Hewitt is playing great football- I think we find a way to squeeze both Kennedy and Dow in.

Blake Acres
The dirty hero we needed - plays a tough brand of football- can be unpolished but it’s exactly what this team has needed for two decades- for too long we were too soft , clean and safe , Blake acres is the tough nut we have been waiting for

Upcoming changes to make:

OUT: Fisher , Hollands , Pittonet, Ed Curnow, Marchbank

IN: Cerra, Walsh, McKay, McGovern, Kennedy

Jsos and Boyd to sit out for now.
Cincotta has more of that aggression and ferociousness that works with our system than Marchbank does , so he’s my pick to stay in of the two.

Finally,
I just cannot for the life of me understand why Pittonet keeps dropping marks - being that tall and heavy , he gets a lot of the red pill delivered his way in packs and should take 3-4 contested marks a game , that alone would justify his position in the team.
JSOS for Kennedy. Leave in Dow. Cerra is not going to be playing next week.

I don’t want to be negative but, having watched the last 2 mins in Fox, why does TDK drop 3 marks. In a post match interview on Fox even he mentioned one dropped mark.

Maybe young ruck work as hard as he was he be spent might have something to with it .. hopefully as he settles into the fact he a permanent part of the side he will take more marks

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not having the double chance is the only reason we’re not flag favourites.

If results were to go our way and we snuck 4th we are absolutely on.

Still think we’re good enough from 5th, but avoiding an away final in Bris/Adel and the one sided umpiring that comes with it would be very handy.
The whole thing from the AFL match review. The way we have smashed 3 of the top 4 in the last 5 weeks will be putting the fear of dog into them.
The Blues train is full steam ahead
After a season that looked done and dusted halfway through, Michael Voss has turned his side into the form team of the competition, winning eight on the trot including victories over Collingwood, Port Adelaide and now Melbourne. A top-four spot and double chance is mathematically possible but extremely unlikely, and that’s about the only factor stopping Carlton from being the premiership favourite. There’s not a lot of finals experience in this line-up, but it’s more than made up for by sheer determination, and that can be a scary thing for more hardened sides to find themselves facing.

They’re brilliant - so are the Dees defensive unit - last night was the battle of the Somme.
It was two genuine premiership contenders standing toe to toe, not giving an inch and slugging it out to the end. Now that is what football is all about!

If he is heading to St Kilda as rumoured, their first sounds about right. Maybe an exchange of third round picks as well.

I think that Dow would much prefer to stay at the Blues. He's the patient type really... I've said it for years. He'd prefer to be a backup at the Blues than a first teamer at a second rate club.

Do we still have to offer him a contract to trade him ? Otherwise he leave as a delisted free agent ?

Agreed for all the hysterics about the goal umpire’s call - which was clearly touched - what was overlooked was Gawn getting away with whatever he liked in the ruck contests. Not only that but it seems like Gawn feels the need to umpire the game. Melbourne have a few like that - May, Lever and Petracca too - yet we still won!!!

Tdk and Pitto never gave up though and had the better of the big mug despite this. Just a brilliant effort by the team. Melbourne threw everything at us and we still won even with McKay, Walsh, Cerra, Gov, Kennedy and SOS out.
Gawn does a lot of pushing in the back rucking the throw in and at ground level -- makes it look like he just clumsy but knows what he doing .. overall I thought the umpiring levelled out for both sides considering the conditions

Do we still have to offer him a contract to trade him ? Otherwise he leave as a delisted free agent ?

Paddy is not a free agent. Any team that wants him would have to trade for him.

A month ago the going rate would be about a 4th rounder. Now youd probably need a good 2nd rounder.

Would love for him to stay, some big decisions for him and the club to come at seasons end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 22 Blues win a thriller. Finals closer.

Back