Autopsy 2023 Rd 22 Blues win a thriller. Finals closer.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Dees?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just thought while the temporary ban was lifted, I would clear the air regarding last nights words, because its still seems I am copping some vitriol for all of it. Almost as if I had killed my neighbours dog in cold blood.

I will apologise for the poor wording I chose. I take responsibility for this. But hear me out:

1. At no stage did I discredit our team's performance nor discouraged any of our supporters celebrating the victory.

At the time, I simply stated I didn't understand the chest-beating. Never did I say people weren't allowed to.
If anything, the celebrating should be encouraged. Despite all the controversies, a win is a win. And I can certainly affirm that the boys played better than Melbourne last night. The pressure thoughout the game was immense. All the tackles along with the risks they continued to take breaking through the corridor was electric.

2. At no stage have I talked down our current form and the winning streak.
Whilst I do have a habit of expressing doubts and awaiting disappointment (having been so accustomed to such things in today's day and age with my club), I have always allowed the boys to prove me wrong. In fact, I'm corssing my fingers all the time, hoping to be proven wrong.

And I must say, this team has changed.

The way the boys have performed over these wins is nothing like I have ever seen before from Carlton in my time of following footy. I love how system-based it is and how everybody is carrying an even load. This is even better than early last year, where the only thing Carlton had going for them was an elite contested game in the midfield. This time, there seems to be many more layers added to the team's approach.

In the past it was Cripps and his fellow stars (Weitering, Docherty, C. Curnow, Walsh, McKay) or bust. This time we are seeing EVERY single player with an impact... even the sub. And it's the unheralded players outside the four walls helping get it done. Kemp, Cincotta, Cottrell, Owies, Fogarty, Dow, Cuningham, Boyd (whenever he plays) etc.

I would even go far as saying that the style of footy we play is indeed deserving of this year's flag. Premiership sides are often made with good systems and even loads. The only reason why I don't see it happening personally is due to the fact that they'll pretty much finish outside of top 4. I still consider the Bulldogs 2016 season an anomaly and one that is extremely unlikely to ever be repeated. But I take it one week at a time and once again, I always hope to be proven wrong.

3. About that score review...
I did have rushed thoughts on it, and they were made before seeing any of the still shots currently going around (especially the one involving the right forearm). But after waking up this morning and looking at several of those shots and slow-motion clips, I've come to it being a 50-50 line-ball decision. It isn't any guarantee Marchbank touched it from our side, but there isn't any guarantee he didn't. In the end, a decision is going to be made by the goal umpire who is in the best position of them all and whatever happens from there with the ARC is out of anyone's control except those behind the technology.

I will concede that such moments happen frequently thoughout the season and I got caught up in the weight of this one given the time it took place. I am not in anyway bothered by what other salty supporters think of it. I only ever wanted for the boys to succeed with nothing but the resilience and brutality they are displaying. This deserves all the attention, as the formline shows it. The talk shouldn't be how Melbourne should have won the game off that kick at all. It's simply the blues winning fair because they played better and nothing else.

If anything, I do see that Van Rooyen trip against Cincotta as a bigger screw up by the umpires. Then again Petracca did throw the ball for a score involvement. And Gawn did avoid giving away a 50m penalty when he proabably shouldn't have. The umpires aren't perfect and every decision missed if they were to pay them would lead to a different series of events than those which have played out.

-------

So do calm the farm you lot. I will take responsibility for my poor choice of words. But I am human.
I have my fair share of struggles right now outside of footy which might be impacting my mind a little (like having to deal with the passing of my grandmother on Thursday and attending the funeral this coming Wednesday, but this is another story).

I too am a proud blues supporter since I was 5 years old when all the pain started, not once have I walked away. I want success no more than the next blue-bagger.
Cheers TJ all the best to you

Paddy is not a free agent. Any team that wants him would have to trade for him.

A month ago the going rate would be about a 4th rounder. Now youd probably need a good 2nd rounder.

Would love for him to stay, some big decisions for him and the club to come at seasons end.
Love for him to be stay & he’s only young !

Gawn does a lot of pushing in the back rucking the throw in and at ground level -- makes it look like he just clumsy but knows what he doing .. overall I thought the umpiring levelled out for both sides considering the conditions

100% knows what he’s doing, pack marking contests included. There was one in the third when TDk went down hold his knee which was from a big push in the back from Gawn.

Listened to crippa on the abc on the way back to Wodonga at lunchtime.he made a few interesting points. Even when things were going bad he stressed to everyone that they were playing a game that they loved for a living and to make sure that they enjoyed it.

There were no uncomfortable truths when Voss had the hard talk with the leaders. Just distilled ideas from all involved about how they thought that they could all be better.

He was asked by the host whether he thought that he was more harshly treated when the team wasn't going well as opposed to the Bont or Petracca. He played a straight bat but Marc Murphy later added that he thought it was because Carlton was a bigger club than Melbourne or the Dogs.

I know that we haven't officially made finals yet BUT Personally I cannot think of a player who will he more suited to the big stage of finals than Crippa. Can't wait to see him explode

Love for him to be stay & he’s only young !
Spot on Eskie.

Imagine if Dow keeps improving the more he plays AFL in well structured game plan. And looking at the age profile of our mids at the start of next season it would be great succession planning if we could keep this group together:

Sam 23
Dow 24
Cerra 24
Kennedy 27
Hewett 28
Cripps 29

From the Melbourne board:

I'm a Magpie and the Dee's got ripped, that was definitely a goal, clear as on the replay.
Games are rigged..as you seen they tried hard to get Geelong over the Line also.
Pathetic umpiring.

I always play to those ridiculous claims by replying “Yes - I believe there has been a directive from the AFL to the umpires to pay more free kicks to Carlton and get them through to the finals.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always play to those ridiculous claims by replying “Yes - I believe there has been a directive from the AFL to the umpires to pay more free kicks to Carlton and get them through to the finals.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it would be less less obvious if the umpires didn't all gather in a car outside the ground to compare notes, current betting trends and discuss players to keep an eye on - I see them all the time on my way into the games..........

Paddy is not a free agent. Any team that wants him would have to trade for him.

A month ago the going rate would be about a 4th rounder. Now youd probably need a good 2nd rounder.

Would love for him to stay, some big decisions for him and the club to come at seasons end.

I don't think we have any bargaining power if we're not willing to retain him TBH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we have any bargaining power if we're not willing to retain him TBH.
Absolutely we do as his employer. Especially if more than one club is interested. If we/he decides to go it is important that we do the right thing by him. It is also important that we maximise whatever return we can get as part of the process.

Just thought while the temporary ban was lifted, I would clear the air regarding last nights words, because its still seems I am copping some vitriol for all of it. Almost as if I had killed my neighbours dog in cold blood.

I will apologise for the poor wording I chose. I take responsibility for this. But hear me out:

1. At no stage did I discredit our team's performance nor discouraged any of our supporters celebrating the victory.

At the time, I simply stated I didn't understand the chest-beating. Never did I say people weren't allowed to.
If anything, the celebrating should be encouraged. Despite all the controversies, a win is a win. And I can certainly affirm that the boys played better than Melbourne last night. The pressure thoughout the game was immense. All the tackles along with the risks they continued to take breaking through the corridor was electric.

Whilst I do have a habit of expressing doubts and awaiting disappointment (having been so accustomed to such things in today's day and age with my club), I have always allowed the boys to prove me wrong. In fact, I'm corssing my fingers all the time, hoping to be proven wrong.

The way the boys have performed over these wins is nothing like I have ever seen before from Carlton in my time of following footy. I love how system-based it is and how everybody is carrying an even load. This is even better than early last year, where the only thing Carlton had going for them was an elite contested game in the midfield. This time, there seems to be many more layers added to the team's approach.

In the past it was Cripps and his fellow stars (Weitering, Docherty, C. Curnow, Walsh, McKay) or bust. This time we are seeing EVERY single player with an impact... even the sub. And it's the unheralded players outside the four walls helping get it done. Kemp, Cincotta, Cottrell, Owies, Fogarty, Dow, Cuningham, Boyd (whenever he plays) etc.

I would even go far as saying that the style of footy we play is indeed deserving of this year's flag. Premiership sides are often made with good systems and even loads. The only reason why I don't see it happening personally is due to the fact that they'll pretty much finish outside of top 4. I still consider the Bulldogs 2016 season an anomaly and one that is extremely unlikely to ever be repeated. But I take it one week at a time and once again, I always hope to be proven wrong.

I did have rushed thoughts on it, and they were made before seeing any of the still shots currently going around (especially the one involving the right forearm). But after waking up this morning and looking at several of those shots and slow-motion clips, I've come to it being a 50-50 line-ball decision. It isn't any guarantee Marchbank touched it from our side, but there isn't any guarantee he didn't. In the end, a decision is going to be made by the goal umpire who is in the best position of them all and whatever happens from there with the ARC is out of anyone's control except those behind the technology.

I will concede that such moments happen frequently thoughout the season and I got caught up in the weight of this one given the time it took place. I am not in anyway bothered by what other salty supporters think of it. I only ever wanted for the boys to succeed with nothing but the resilience and brutality they are displaying. This deserves all the attention, as the formline shows it. The talk shouldn't be how Melbourne should have won the game off that kick at all. It's simply the blues winning fair because they played better and nothing else.

If anything, I do see that Van Rooyen trip against Cincotta as a bigger screw up by the umpires. Then again Petracca did throw the ball for a score involvement. And Gawn did avoid giving away a 50m penalty when he proabably shouldn't have. The umpires aren't perfect and every decision missed if they were to pay them would lead to a different series of events than those which have played out.

-------

So do calm the farm you lot. I will take responsibility for my poor choice of words. But I am human.
I have my fair share of struggles right now outside of footy which might be impacting my mind a little (like having to deal with the passing of my grandmother on Thursday and attending the funeral this coming Wednesday, but this is another story).

I too am a proud blues supporter since I was 5 years old when all the pain started, not once have I walked away. I want success no more than the next blue-bagger.
I'm sorry for your troubles mate. I also wish to apologise for my aggressive reply to your original post.

If he is heading to St Kilda as rumoured, their first sounds about right. Maybe an exchange of third round picks as well.

I think that Dow would much prefer to stay at the Blues. He's the patient type really... I've said it for years. He'd prefer to be a backup at the Blues than a first teamer at a second rate club.
Personally I hope he stays without a doubt. I hope Voss can start to see his worth now. If that means permanent sub then so be it with a fully fit list.

Just got home from the Box Hill records fair (scored some bargains, thanks for asking). Quite a few people, including m'self, proudly wearing the navy blue. Lots of conversations about HOW BLOODY GOOD WAS IT!
Good for you MEB what bargains?

I'm sorry for your troubles mate. I also wish to apologise for my aggressive reply to your original post.
All is good. I probably deserve it. I know what I was aiming to say but I approached it all in a foolish manner.

Expressing my thoughts in text has more challenges and it is especiialy the case when typing it all up on the phone.

-------

Sorry for your loss TeeJay :heart:

Just got home from the Box Hill records fair (scored some bargains, thanks for asking). Quite a few people, including m'self, proudly wearing the navy blue. Lots of conversations about HOW BLOODY GOOD WAS IT!

I remember going to high school in the 90s wearing my Carlton scarf alongside my uniform most weeks when we won back them.

Just so happy today's generation of Carlton kids and younglings will finally get to experience same type of contented swag and public support of our magnificent footy club đź’™

Did you get spun around like a record right round? Well? Did you?

I know the answer might be anyone anytime anywhere but what side would we least like to play in the first week of finals.

Cats for me (if they make it)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Might be more a case of the other 7 teams drawing straws to avoid us. :thumbsu:

Bring it on. Starting to look possible we play finals. Don't care who it's against.

But still one week at a time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 22 Blues win a thriller. Finals closer.

Back