Preview 2023 Round 7 Carlton vs West Coast Saturday 29th April 7.30PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Sam Docherty, Brodie Kemp, Adam Saad
OUT: Lachie Cowan (managed), Jesse Motlop (suspension), Matthew Kennedy, Lochie O’Brien

Backs:Nic NewmanJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Sam DochertyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam WalshPatrick CrippsOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinHarry McKayZac Fisher
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettAdam Cerra
Interchange:Blake AcresAlex CincottaJosh Honey
Lewis Young
Emergencies:Lachie CowanTom De KoningLachie Fogarty
Matthew Kennedy

Strange I wouldn't imagine Kennedy an impact sub player -- that's how bad obrien is going ..

Kennedy doesn't have a massive tank, so if he does come on later in the game, he will need less time on the pine

Although, perhaps Binns in the side and Ed as the sub would make more sense

When Essendon were forcing Collingwood to do that the Pies looked sooooooo average. Squaring the ball up then going i50 is something we don't do enough of, despite the likes of Acres, Cerra, Walsh, Ed getting to that position for us to use them. Watch our games, quite often a winger is sitting at about 65m in the corridor alone.

EDIT:
5:48 on the Kayo match replay of Carlton vs St Kilda
View attachment 1672419

Walsh intercept marks, Acres is in plenty of space (top of screen demanding the footy) and Ed is on the left of screen pointing at Acres for Walsh to take him. Instead, Walsh pumps it long inside 50 only for the Saints to take an intercept mark.

EDIT2:
At 12:50, we take the inside kick and generate an easy mark i50 to McKay.

It's really that simple when you have Curnow and Harry ahead of the ball. Center the pill and lower the eyes and scores are created.
I see it all the time and it drives me crazy. Often it'll be Jack Martin in that spot. Who is a great i50 kick.

I can understand why you'd stop presenting.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hearing TDK has been left out due to getting on the gas last weekend in Geelong or Torquay, anyone else heard this? Worrying if true.

Haven’t heard, but that’s fair enough if true. Why not get instant heat with gas rather than crappy electric hot plates? Don’t see why the club would care what fuel type he uses in his kitchen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So essentially no one was dropped?

Well LOB was. To make the sub and a slower inside mid instead of opting for his run ... unceremoniously so.

I know we are managing Cowan as he is young and looking tired, but that's still dropping someone, albeit for a rest.

But yes, nobody has paid the price for our shitness of late.

In future when Jack Martin is fit I’d like him to be permanent sub. His game seems to wait until the last quarter anyway. If he could rest for 3/4 on the pine and come on he will blow up the opposition.

Kennedy as sub could be useful. A fresh, strong bull in the centre of the ground when others are having trouble lifting their legs ... could turn a game. I'd hope we wouldn't need him by the time he came on though.

In future when Jack Martin is fit I’d like him to be permanent sub. His game seems to wait until the last quarter anyway. If he could rest for 3/4 on the pine and come on he will blow up the opposition.

But if we get an early injury, he'd have to play a full game. Even with sub we have to allow for all scenarios.

Last edited:
Prioritising a win this week over easing back injured players.

Prioritising a win this week over selection integrity.

Knows a loss this week would be disastrous for himself.

Gameplan or system is non existent so must keep as much talent and experience in the team at all times.
But if the players are not fit as your inferring, then its not a safe option at all is what I am saying. Thats a big risk.
Besides I dont buy into the whole argument anyway.
Pretty clear he coaches for the love of the game and for the team. Not for his ego or cv.

Well LOB was. To make the sub and a slower inside mid instead of opting for his run ... unceremoniously so.

I know we are managing Cowan as he is young and looking tired, but that's still dropping someone, albeit for a rest.

But yes, nobody has paid the price for our shitness of late.
I’m really flat with how safe and a little desperate everything has been in the lead up to this game. I’m getting Gold Coast 2019 vibes with this one.

Pittonet 60 ranking points
Marshall 100

Not be all and end all but a guideline nonetheless.
Pittonet pretty sure tied the record for hitouts to advantage for the 2023 season - gave us first service all day. SuperCoach scores had Pitt at 105 and Marshall 88 - I think these "ranking point metrics" are pretty meaningless

Pittonet pretty sure tied the record for hitouts to advantage for the 2023 season - gave us first service all day. SuperCoach scores had Pitt at 105 and Marshall 88 - I think these "ranking point metrics" are pretty meaningless

Fair enough. I was at the ground and thought he was pretty average, especially in marking contests around the ground.

We've got TDK who is one of the most promising rucks not getting a game, other clibs willing to throw millions at him.

Kennedy one of our best mids IMO dropped all of a sudden.

Dow can't get a game.

Liam Stocker couldn't find a spot in our 22 but is well entrenched in the top team in the comp's 22.

Ed Curnow only god himself could possibly know how he's still on our list let alone getting a start.

All this points to our coaching group having little to no idea about what they are on about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not on the contract he is on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The SC points are pretty much the CD ranking points which are a much better indication than the AFL Fantasy ones. Ie rucks only get points for a hitout to advantage rather points for the raw hitout total.

They also scale the points across the game, if it’s in junk time (or the games already heavily one sided) points get scaled down, but if it’s tight and potentially having an impact on the result they get scaled up.

Still doesn’t/can’t capture some of the ‘statistically intangible’ stuff like blocking for players and all that, but I’m not exactly sure how you would measure it in the same manner as effective kicks, hitouts to advantage, contested marks, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back