Preview 2023 Round 7 Carlton vs West Coast Saturday 29th April 7.30PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Sam Docherty, Brodie Kemp, Adam Saad
OUT: Lachie Cowan (managed), Jesse Motlop (suspension), Matthew Kennedy, Lochie O’Brien

Backs:Nic NewmanJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Sam DochertyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam WalshPatrick CrippsOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinHarry McKayZac Fisher
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettAdam Cerra
Interchange:Blake AcresAlex CincottaJosh Honey
Lewis Young
Emergencies:Lachie CowanTom De KoningLachie Fogarty
Matthew Kennedy

Something I noticed when watching some Jaxon Binns highlights - his short kicks are looooow.

Same with handballs. He puts it low and out in front of the teammate for them to run on to.

Shits me no end seeing our "AFL Grade" players and their gap wedge short game, hospital handballs, and all-around inability to keep the ball moving with any real impetus.

Gimme Binns in the next few weeks.

When Essendon were forcing Collingwood to do that the Pies looked sooooooo average. Squaring the ball up then going i50 is something we don't do enough of, despite the likes of Acres, Cerra, Walsh, Ed getting to that position for us to use them. Watch our games, quite often a winger is sitting at about 65m in the corridor alone.

EDIT:
5:48 on the Kayo match replay of Carlton vs St Kilda
View attachment 1672419

Walsh intercept marks, Acres is in plenty of space (top of screen demanding the footy) and Ed is on the left of screen pointing at Acres for Walsh to take him. Instead, Walsh pumps it long inside 50 only for the Saints to take an intercept mark.

EDIT2:
At 12:50, we take the inside kick and generate an easy mark i50 to McKay.

It's really that simple when you have Curnow and Harry ahead of the ball. Center the pill and lower the eyes and scores are created.

Yeah we’d be so much better if we were more focused on getting the ball to a point it can be disposed of at around 65m, be it through a kick to a man we often seem to have spare there, or taking that extra bounce and getting to that spot before the i50.

Instead everything is a bomb onto someone’s head or a kick to a mark bang on 50 resulting in a 55+ metre attempt at goal

Hearing TDK has been left out due to getting on the gas last weekend in Geelong or Torquay, anyone else heard this? Worrying if true.

Yeah, it has been doing the rounds for a while now. There is video of him with his brother and other Cats players. Not 100% sure he was drinking alcohol though.

When Essendon were forcing Collingwood to do that the Pies looked sooooooo average. Squaring the ball up then going i50 is something we don't do enough of, despite the likes of Acres, Cerra, Walsh, Ed getting to that position for us to use them. Watch our games, quite often a winger is sitting at about 65m in the corridor alone.

EDIT:
5:48 on the Kayo match replay of Carlton vs St Kilda
View attachment 1672419

Walsh intercept marks, Acres is in plenty of space (top of screen demanding the footy) and Ed is on the left of screen pointing at Acres for Walsh to take him. Instead, Walsh pumps it long inside 50 only for the Saints to take an intercept mark.

EDIT2:
At 12:50, we take the inside kick and generate an easy mark i50 to McKay.

It's really that simple when you have Curnow and Harry ahead of the ball. Center the pill and lower the eyes and scores are created.
I'm glad you put this up, all week I've been thinking about doing similar of this exact moment but never could get around to it.

Walsh is a repeat offender for this too, he doesn't always lower his eyes and can get blaze away-ish with his kicks, particularly when going inside 50.

The build up for this game is spot on. Pressure from fan base and media ensures nobody goes to WA with complacency playing the cellar dwelling Eagles. We will play with an edge and make a statement.

I am rapt with the inclusion of Kemp. He is a big part of our future and should be a staple from game 1 2024, even if he can’t cement a spot this year. Not enamoured with the dumping of Chugga, very hard done by. Something had to give in the midfield, but 2 games in defence followed by the squeeze is frustrating. Does the fortnight back prepare him for a super sub role with time in all thirds of the ground? Still think we would be a better team with him providing options forward on occasion.

Loving Doc and Saady back. Will be interesting to see how we line up, Doc back or middle? Young back or forward/ ruck?
How will Ed and Fisher be deployed?

Cripps, Cerra and Walsh for mine are our frontline mids. The disrespect for George on here is palpable. We were lamenting not having him for a couple of weeks after he continued on from last year round 1, a couple of down weeks while Voss is remixing the mids to cater for Cez taking his opportunity in a more inside role and Walshy returning. I am not happy Kennedy gives way, but respectfully Hewett has earned his stripes. Doc will almost certainly spend some time in there and how they use Ed will be interesting.

Cincotta earned his retention, Cowan unlucky, but probably the right move for balance. Hoping Kemp plays third tall rather than being given Allen or Darling, but expect otherwise. Saad back and Cincotta should do wonders for our exits from the back half.

Play the forwards aggressively, remove the shackles, with the possible exception that Ed could do the job on Jones who has been their best rebounder. JSOS could play negating on Hurn, but the old fella is being rushed back so unlikely to be at the top of his game.

They will have a big crack at home, but we honestly should be able to right the percentage ledger with this one. The week leading up should guarantee our boys are “on”. If not we can really go to town in here after.

First two points are good ones. On ballers aren’t smashing the opposition because they’re a bit too spread out, not in each other’s pockets doing short handballs to each other as soon as they get hold of the ball like last year.

It looks to me like we’re trying to force more turnovers at half back which is good and seems to be happening but again we’re a bit too spread out, not linking up through handballs and having huge numbers around the ball carrier to run the ball up the ground like Collingwood. The spreading out and short kicking slows the play up and gives the opposition time to suffocate us.
This Plus Tax

Scoreboard aside, a few areas of interest

Not manic or slow, but constant movement of the ball and players providing options.

More run from behind the ball carrier and players remaining options in chains

More players hitting the scoreboard, mids, wingmen included rather than just Harry and Charlie having big games

More midfield rotations, cameos especially centre bounces, Cripps, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra, Doc, Acres, Hollands, Durdin, Fisher, Honey, Cincotta, etc
Agreed but I'm worried the coaches won't try any of this Arr0w unfortunately. Their reluctance to change is becoming a worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The build up for this game is spot on. Pressure from fan base and media ensures nobody goes to WA with complacency playing the cellar dwelling Eagles. We will play with an edge and make a statement.

I am rapt with the inclusion of Kemp. He is a big part of our future and should be a staple from game 1 2024, even if he can’t cement a spot this year. Not enamoured with the dumping of Chugga, very hard done by. Something had to give in the midfield, but 2 games in defence followed by the squeeze is frustrating. Does the fortnight back prepare him for a super sub role with time in all thirds of the ground? Still think we would be a better team with him providing options forward on occasion.

Loving Doc and Saady back. Will be interesting to see how we line up, Doc back or middle? Young back or forward/ ruck?
How will Ed and Fisher be deployed?

Cripps, Cerra and Walsh for mine are our frontline mids. The disrespect for George on here is palpable. We were lamenting not having him for a couple of weeks after he continued on from last year round 1, a couple of down weeks while Voss is remixing the mids to cater for Cez taking his opportunity in a more inside role and Walshy returning. I am not happy Kennedy gives way, but respectfully Hewett has earned his stripes. Doc will almost certainly spend some time in there and how they use Ed will be interesting.

Cincotta earned his retention, Cowan unlucky, but probably the right move for balance. Hoping Kemp plays third tall rather than being given Allen or Darling, but expect otherwise. Saad back and Cincotta should do wonders for our exits from the back half.

Play the forwards aggressively, remove the shackles, with the possible exception that Ed could do the job on Jones who has been their best rebounder. JSOS could play negating on Hurn, but the old fella is being rushed back so unlikely to be at the top of his game.

They will have a big crack at home, but we honestly should be able to right the percentage ledger with this one. The week leading up should guarantee our boys are “on”. If not we can really go to town in here after.

If we come out lacking urgency and intensity after the (much deserved) bollocking we’ve copped in the media and from the fanbase this week, then there is something seriously wrong with this group. If I’m honest I already fear they are not mentally tough enough to be true flag contenders - I really hope we can address that with some proper endeavour and heart tomorrow night.
Typically a game where we should win comfortably is the game that concerns me most - simply cannot be the case tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not much logic here.
On one hand you say hes rushing players back unfit and not ready.
On the other hand is protecting himself by picking a team to win you say.

Make your mind up which it is.
Prioritising a win this week over easing back injured players.

Prioritising a win this week over selection integrity.

Knows a loss this week would be disastrous for himself.

Gameplan or system is non existent so must keep as much talent and experience in the team at all times.

Something I noticed when watching some Jaxon Binns highlights - his short kicks are looooow.

Same with handballs. He puts it low and out in front of the teammate for them to run on to.

Shits me no end seeing our "AFL Grade" players and their gap wedge short game, hospital handballs, and all-around inability to keep the ball moving with any real impetus.

Gimme Binns in the next few weeks.
Where’s he been playing ? If midfield - bring him on in 😎

Prioritising a win this week over easing back injured players.

Prioritising a win this week over selection integrity.

Knows a loss this week would be disastrous for himself.

Gameplan or system is non existent so must keep as much talent and experience in the team at all times.
You're presuming you know more about the individuals' respective injuries, and their rehab, than the Coaching and medical staff.

Extremely unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back