List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

For our 22 next year:

Outs: Zorko (retired - although he's earned another year if he's desperate to go again but on a rotation basis), Gardiner (not good enough), Lester (depth option only, too slow had a decent back half of the year but poor today and not good enough in crunch times), McInerney (doesn't do enough to support the midfield, awful decision maker)

Ins: Ashcroft (when fit is the most obvious inclusion), Doedee (initially wasn't sure on this, but if the medical team believe they can get him fit then a genuine 3rd tall defender is required, otherwise we need to try find this player - Howe was really good for them in this role today and no one on our list that can play this role), Payne (Much better player than Gardiner, and structurally a better fit freeing Andrews a bit more), Grundy (won't get beaten, gives us an extra midfielder without costing what a true midfielder costs)

Other changes: Coleman to work on fitness, can't run out games. Rayner same.

Rotation on form: Berry and Rayner should be nowhere near the 'locks' they are for our team, far too inconsistent. Define a role and perform, otherwise Prior, Sharp, Answerth, Lohmann depending on form and fitness

For our 22 next year:

Outs: Zorko (retired - although he's earned another year if he's desperate to go again but on a rotation basis), Gardiner (not good enough), Lester (depth option only, too slow had a decent back half of the year but poor today and not good enough in crunch times), McInerney (doesn't do enough to support the midfield, awful decision maker)

Ins: Ashcroft (when fit is the most obvious inclusion), Doedee (initially wasn't sure on this, but if the medical team believe they can get him fit then a genuine 3rd tall defender is required, otherwise we need to try find this player - Howe was really good for them in this role today and no one on our list that can play this role), Payne (Much better player than Gardiner, and structurally a better fit freeing Andrews a bit more), Grundy (won't get beaten, gives us an extra midfielder without costing what a true midfielder costs)

Rotation on form: Berry and Rayner should be nowhere near the 'locks' they are for our team, far too inconsistent. Define a role and perform, otherwise Prior, Sharp, Answerth, Lohmann depending on form and fitness

Grundy's off to Sydney.

For our 22 next year:

You simply have to trade Hipwood. Barely improved in 10 years, flat tracker who has trade value to the desperados

I think in close big games the losers tend to assume they are much worse than they are and work hard to find improvement. Winners tend to assume they are much better than they are which might partially explain grand final hangovers that seem to happen. They work on the fact that they can to some degree rinse and repeat.

The real trick is to just never stand still. Go up because you find ways to improve.

Ashcroft, Payne & Doedee would be big inclusions.

We don't have to change a whole lot.
Ashcroft and Payne in would be enough and they're already on the list, add to that half the team played below their average and we still only lost by 4 points in a GF. Plenty of over-reactions which is to be expected I suppose but we're definitely there abouts and will be for the next few years at least.

Ashcroft and Payne in would be enough and they're already on the list, add to that half the team played below their average and we still only lost by 4 points in a GF. Plenty of over-reactions which is to be expected I suppose but we're definitely there abouts and will be for the next few years at least.

Yeah it stings because you aren't guaranteed to get back with the same set of players. In reality we likely can't do anything too drastic with the list anyway, and there's no reason we should be panicking.

I don't think there's been too many over reactions. We had many players below their best form today and still could've won it.

Re Hipwood he did some good things and he had 6 opportunities to grab important marks and spilled every one of them. It happens. He had an ordinary day but not as bad as has been made out.

Rayner I was really disappointed in. He had a mare in the first and second ,just no care at all when kicking it out of the back half near the end of quarters. Expected him to start doing something in the second half and he just didn't have the legs. Dunno about Rayner.

Bez . Well that last 50 was just so uncalled for and a brain implosion. I know he tries his guts out , his shoulder's fine , I think he's got the capacity to be a lot better.

Firmly established Hippy as a whipping boy unfairly

Dodongo believes not unfairly.

When you sign someone up until 2029 you expect them to step up in big games and perform. He is not consistent enough and goes missing a lot and is not a big game player. Today shows that.

Dodongo will be shocked if the media don't bring this up in the next couple of days.

If he wasn't signed on a long term contract then he wouldn't get so much heat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep the key really will be on Fages and the coaching team to get this team to not play below their best if the opportunity comes again and easy to say, not easy to do. This will be the difference if we get back there again.

Dodongo believes not unfairly.

When you sign someone up until 2029 you expect them to step up in big games and perform. He is not consistent enough and goes missing a lot and is not a big game player. Today shows that.

Dodongo will be shocked if the media don't bring this up in the next couple of days.

If he wasn't signed on a long term contract then he wouldn't get so much heat.

Kicked 9 goals in finals last year if your memory can stretch a little further than a day

The one concern I do have moving forward is regarding our depth. Our high performance team has been so good, we have little exposed depth to know how good/bad they may be.

Obviously it’s a good thing having a quality top 22-25 fit most of the year but at some stage you’d think our luck will run out a little bit. That might be when we get exposed depth wise, simply because we haven’t really had to play them. Might also be why it be wise to bring in an extra 1-2 to negate this.

The one concern I do have moving forward is regarding our depth. Our high performance team has been so good, we have little exposed depth to know how good/bad they may be.

Obviously it’s a good thing having a quality top 22-25 fit most of the year but at some stage you’d think our luck will run out a little bit. That might be when we get exposed depth wise, simply because we haven’t really had to play them. Might also be why it be wise to bring in an extra 1-2 to negate this.
Mature age draftees are perfect for this so I wouldn't mind seeing us bringing in a couple. They're cheap, can be drafted late, can step right in, and while they might not have the ceiling that's not necessarily what we're looking for. Same as DFAs.

Why are people keen to give Zorko another year?
Because we currently don’t have a ready to go replacement for him or WAshcroft next year.

And he’s still better than any potential replacements currently on our list.

Father Time might properly catch up to him next season, in which case Fage’s then makes the same call as he did with Rich this year.

You simply have to trade Hipwood. Barely improved in 10 years, flat tracker who has trade value to the desperados

Interestingly I was wondering the same. It's amazing what some clubs will pay for a bloke who can kick 30-35/year.

His main job is to kick goals and his modest average of about 1.5/game hasn't changed since his second season.

He was a liability today. Daniher needs backup.

Dev will stay which is a positive.

Apparently he’s told someone at the function tonight that he’s already put pen to paper.
Gee's I hope you're right. Really hoping for that. He could have a big cpl of years here, set him up long term. More time in the middle I'd hope. I was hoping now he'd be keen to stick around and take care of some unfinished business.

I believe people need to reign in any expectation on Doedee and WAshcroft for next year.

Neither are likely to be back before the bye, and we don’t know what state they’ll be in when they do come back.

Doedee may have lost any agility or leap he once had, and be purely a straight line runner.

If you look at Rayner and Hipwood as examples, both came back at the beginning of the season, and it took the best part of a full season for them to start getting back to where they were pre injury.

Personally I’m not counting on either to be a difference maker come next season’s finals.

(I’d genuinely like them to be, but that’s putting the cart before the two horses)

Last edited:
Interestingly I was wondering the same. It's amazing what some clubs will pay for a bloke who can kick 30-35/year.

His main job is to kick goals and his modest average of about 1.5/game hasn't changed since his second season.

He was a liability today. Daniher needs backup.
Nah, don't agree. It wasn't like Moore or Howe were intercepting at will. He brought the ball to ground a lot. Should have marked more, sure. He tackled and pressured with urgency. He blocked or made room for Joe. He always does a lot more around the ground than is given credit for. That's largely been his role all year, saying his main job is to kick goals is a narrow view of his game. I'm not saying he was great today but he was better than we see. We needed a third tall or even a 2nd ruck to allow him more space, and better delivery in from the mids would have helped too.

Oh seriously- we lost by under a goal and a set of nuts from the umpires we might have just won. We good- any t am would take Hippy. Let’s keep him.

The fact that 4 teams are fighting over Mabior Chol to solve key forward/ruck problems indicates how scarce the market is. There isn't anyone better available out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back