List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Zorko will get his year if he wants due to his service to the club. However if you are not going forward in this game then you are going backwards so we should be planning the phase out from round one.

Nothing wrong with a bit of list turnover to keep things fresh.
I believe that is why we drafted Lohmann a couple of years ago, with the view as a potential successor to Zorko.

Looking to the future, we have Sam Marshall and Levi Ashcroft in next years draft.

Levi is sort of a cross between Will and Zorko.

Marshall is a bit more skilled/polished, but similar to Dev. Can play wing in a pinch as well.

I’d be keeping an eye on Eddie Ford and Curtis Taylor at North. Both out of contract next year.

Both are mid forward types. Both slipped in their draft year, I’m not sure why, but my guess would be a combination of immaturity and having tickets on themselves.

Both are talented, and I would hope in the right system/culture, would mature and get the best out of themselves.

I’d be keeping an eye on Eddie Ford and Curtis Taylor at North. Both out of contract next year.

Both are mid forward types. Both slipped in their draft year, I’m not sure why, but my guess would be a combination of immaturity and having tickets on themselves.

Both are talented, and I would hope in the right system/culture, would mature and get the best out of themselves.
I would be happy if the Lions was able to secure a player from another club.
They can be youngish like Ford (21.3 years) or Taylor (23.5 years).
Anyone they think will fill some gaps.
Our trade capital this year is low.
Rather a player the club had the opportunity to observe at AFL level than someone going 35 plus in the draft.

Absolutely agree with this.

An injury or two to our midfield group - on top of Ashcroft being out for at least half the year - and we will be very lean for options.

I’d be all for recruiting a mature age mid who can contribute when needed. Ashcroft being 19, coming off a knee, should be eased in upon return. Harder to do when his natural game is as a mid, but it would be in his best interests longer term to let him develop a bit more outside when he comes back. All in IMO.
I agree, if Dev goes it probably gives Matho another year. That gives us Lyons, Tunstill and Matho as mid depth. One will need to play the role Dev is playing now till Ashcroft returns. Let's say that's Tunstill, should any further injuries strike the midfield it's just Lyons and/or Matho. Not the speediest or mobile pair to pick from.

I suggested earlier in this thread that we should look at another mid to sure up some depth if Dev goes but my thoughts didn't go to a mature age mid. I'm not sure there would many about to choose from, not at a reasonable cost anyway. I did suggest, after having a look at the delistings, that Jackson Hately or Jack Bytel could be cheap options. Hately was a top 10 draft pick I think, but hasn't set the world on fire at the 2 clubs he's been at. I haven't really followed him so I don't know why. Is it poor form or just too much competition for spots in those clubs? I wondered if that potential is still there.

I agree, if Dev goes it probably gives Matho another year. That gives us Lyons, Tunstill and Matho as mid depth. One will need to play the role Dev is playing now till Ashcroft returns. Let's say that's Tunstill, should any further injuries strike the midfield it's just Lyons and/or Matho. Not the speediest or mobile pair to pick from.

I suggested earlier in this thread that we should look at another mid to sure up some depth if Dev goes but my thoughts didn't go to a mature age mid. I'm not sure there would many about to choose from, not at a reasonable cost anyway. I did suggest, after having a look at the delistings, that Jackson Hately or Jack Bytel could be cheap options. Hately was a top 10 draft pick I think, but hasn't set the world on fire at the 2 clubs he's been at. I haven't really followed him so I don't know why. Is it poor form or just too much competition for spots in those clubs? I wondered if that potential is still there.
Hately is a taller version of Matho with a better tank. But still slow and rushed disposal.

Bytel might be similar.

I believe that is why we drafted Lohmann a couple of years ago, with the view as a potential successor to Zorko.

Looking to the future, we have Sam Marshall and Levi Ashcroft in next years draft.

Levi is sort of a cross between Will and Zorko.

Marshall is a bit more skilled/polished, but similar to Dev. Can play wing in a pinch as well.
Do you see either of these young lads as walk up first graders or will either or both need some development time in the seconds?

Hately is a taller version of Matho with a better tank. But still slow and rushed disposal.

Bytel might be similar.
Goodo, I wasn't sure of either to be honest. They were just names i noticed when reading thru the delisted players.

I don't think we have the draft capital to be trading for a back up mid. It might be a tough ask to find one.

It's probably only necessary if 1 or 2 of Neale, Dunkley or Clug suffer long term injuries. Probably not a likely thing to happen anyway. Short term injuries I think we could cover with Berry, Zorks, Rayner, even Fletcher spending more time in the middle, plus Tunstill, Lyons and Ashcroft back mid season. Lohmann fwd, Answerth, Madden, Sharp on the wing, to cover those players other roles.

Maybe chasing a back up mid isn't as necessary as I first thought. I would be a lot more comfortable tho if we hold on to Dev.

Do you see either of these young lads as walk up first graders or will either or both need some development time in the seconds?
Levi should be a walk up start to replace Zorko as a half forward.

Marshall should slot straight in to Devs role, should he leave. Start in the reserves, but first mid in if there’s an injury to a best 22 mid.

*Carlton should be active in shopping their 2024 first round pick. They have a couple of father son guns in the Camporeale twins. Fair chance Ben Camporeale is bid on before Levi.

Marshall had some good moments in today's Draft Stars game. One more year of development within the Lions system should get him ready to be in contention when he is drafted, There's no question that he has the tools. Now it's only a question of how high the bid will come.

Marshall had some good moments in today's Draft Stars game. One more year of development within the Lions system should get him ready to be in contention when he is drafted, There's no question that he has the tools. Now it's only a question of how high the bid will come.
Going to be big year for Marshall. He won’t really be in our system, as he’s boarding in Melbourne.

Will split time between the Sandy Dragons and Brisbane academy in the CTL. I do wonder if he’ll be made to choose playing for one or the other team.

Plus he’ll have school footy commitments.

Then playing for the Allies in the U18 Championships.

Will split time between the Sandy Dragons and Brisbane academy in the CTL. I do wonder if he’ll be made to choose playing for one or the other team.
I'm trying to remember what similar guys have done - I think most just played TAC Cup other than token games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people keen to give Zorko another year?
Because none of our other mids work hard enough to provide an outlet when the chips are down, the pressure is up, and the metaphors are mixed.

That might be a deficiency of others but he papers over that by popping up to take uncovered marks. The big problem is biting off more than he can chew these days on the following kick. He needs to play within himself.

Because none of our other mids work hard enough to provide an outlet when the chips are down, the pressure is up, and the metaphors are mixed.

That might be a deficiency of others but he papers over that by popping up to take uncovered marks. The big problem is biting off more than he can chew these days on the following kick. He needs to play within himself.

He doesn’t play midfield any more. Plays high half forward getting cheap touches then gives the ball back

He doesn’t play midfield any more. Plays high half forward getting cheap touches then gives the ball back
If he's getting cheap touches why isn't anyone else working hard enough to get them?

We will be there abouts next year again. If Zorko is moved on who with experience takes his place? A rookie is unlikely to help in GF. A cheap 1 year contact is fine by me unless they have someone to come in who will be better.
Zorko was terrible today and hasn't fired a shot all finals series has he? Sharp, Answerth, Tunstil, Lohman, Prior or Madden could all have contributed as much or more than Zorko has. Its time to move on I think.

We will be there abouts next year again. If Zorko is moved on who with experience takes his place? A rookie is unlikely to help in GF. A cheap 1 year contact is fine by me unless they have someone to come in who will be better.

You never know unless you give someone a go. If we can’t develop someone to play better than Zorko has for the last 2 seasons we have bigger issues

And he was nowhere near our top 10 finals performers this year

We can’t sit on our hands with our list after that loss, and I’m sure we won’t.

Doedee in would be very big for us, and then a mid to replace Dev/cover for Ashcroft.

Probably a long shot but I’d certainly entertain Prestia if he did want to head back north again. Neale needs some assistance at the stoppages. Getting beaten by Mitchell as badly as he did today showed that.

Zorko was terrible today and hasn't fired a shot all finals series has he? Sharp, Answerth, Tunstil, Lohman, Prior or Madden could all have contributed as much or more than Zorko has. Its time to move on I think.

Perhaps. All of those players are on the list already and don't scream out pick me. Lohman maybe with another year. Sharp maybe on the wing but would fighting for Berry's spot rather than Zorko. Answerth footskills won't see him replacing Zorko. Madden in a GF? Prior is a different player but could come in.

Hope you are right and one of those players does surpass him as natural progression but for me i am not moving him on unless somebody from outside comes in or he is cooked. Which may happen or be the case

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back