List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunkley and Lachie play too nice?
I really don't get the criticism of De Goey the player. He took himself off to boot camp in the pre season break and has made himself an infinitely better player. Basically become a superstar of the game in this finals series.

Maybe a couple of ours who think they have similar ability could take a leaf out of his book.

Fair enough. Just trying to figure out how to counter what Hill did to us yesterday and spitballing ideas
I don’t think personnel stop what Hill did yesterday, he’s not a premier small forward. It was the bad turnovers and getting beaten out of the middle that gave him good supply.

I think we are primed for next year even without much change to the current list, personally I don’t buy the commentary around us lacking another mid, both Richmond and Melbourne won premierships with one or two superstar mids, I think we already have a very good mix.

I do think we drop our colours at MCG quite a bit and don’t defend the ground as well, evident from the two big games we lost their this season, one against Melbourne and then the GF, probably a combination of it being much wider and also definitely some mental aspects. I think Fages also pointed out that in his press conference so something to think about for the coaching staff over the off season, may be look at some avenues for emulating match sim playing at the MCG.

Our slow starts is another major issue to look at, happened against Melbourne, got out of jail against Carlton in the PF but then conceding the first two goals in the GF was ultimately the difference in such a close game of small percentages.

Lastly, the way we finish games, seem to always leave that little window open for teams to get back in the game, overall I feel we go in our shells a little in those situations, yes we did well to win a lot of close games towards the tail end of season but one or two missed kicks from the opposition and result could have gone either way. I think there was a good analysis of this in the courier mail the other day.

None of that is wrong. But you're looking through the prism of one game. Now you might say, "what else matters?". But I've seen enough footy to know that one game at the end of the year doesn't crystallise where a list is at or what you can take out of the season. Sixteen other clubs' supporters would on the whole love to be where we are now.

No offence, you call yourself pragmatic, but from what I've seen of your posts, on balance they are more critical than anything else. I rarely see from you what we do well. But everyone's different - I get that. And I'm not telling you or anyone else how to engage with the club or the game. But footy is more than strategy and analysis (even though that can be fun) and if you forget to enjoy yourself along the way, you may ask yourself later on what you were doing it all for and what you got out of it.
A lot of that is fair, particularly the second paragraph.

I rarely mention what we do well, because it’s not something we need to fix.

However, I’m not looking at what I perceive as areas of improvements through one game. Much of what I mentioned in my previous post is stuff I’ve said multiple times, over a couple of seasons.

What’s new for me, is more of the discussion and criticism of our coaching, but even then, I’ve criticised our tendency to try and shut games down, and that it rarely works for us.

Would we expect to hear something regarding possible delistings/trade requests this week? I’m thinking from the lesser likes (Fullerton/Matho etc?).

I think we are primed for next year even without much change to the current list, personally I don’t buy the commentary around us lacking another mid, both Richmond and Melbourne won premierships with one or two superstar mids, I think we already have a very good mix.

I do think we drop our colours at MCG quite a bit and don’t defend the ground as well, evident from the two big games we lost their this season, one against Melbourne and then the GF, probably a combination of it being much wider and also definitely some mental aspects. I think Fages also pointed out that in his press conference so something to think about for the coaching staff over the off season, may be look at some avenues for emulating match sim playing at the MCG.

Our slow starts is another major issue to look at, happened against Melbourne, got out of jail against Carlton in the PF but then conceding the first two goals in the GF was ultimately the difference in such a close game of small percentages.

Lastly, the way we finish games, seem to always leave that little window open for teams to get back in the game, overall I feel we go in our shells a little in those situations, yes we did well to win a lot of close games towards the tail end of season but one or two missed kicks from the opposition and result could have gone either way. I think there was a good analysis of this in the courier mail the other day.
My belief is that our slow starts is part of our coaching due to the make up of our player personnel.

We don’t have the players to play the maniac style of Richmond, Collingwood, GWS’s orange tsunami. We would run out of puff late in each quarter, and run out of legs in the last quarter.

Instead we try and keep up a steady pace to run out each quarter and the end of the game.

We give up early scores, with the belief that we can run over teams the longer the game goes on.

It’s not ideal, but something the team is willing to live with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well this is my first post since Saturday morning and though gutted we were beaten, proud of our team for the effort they put up and have taken some consolation from the fact that the better team ended up winning the game. Would love to have stolen it though!

As someone that watches nearly every game I believe we will need to improve at least 10% to contend again next year, the casual fan doesn't realise their are 17 other football programs out there, busting their gut to improve.

As Briztoon suggested the Giants loom large, Melbourne will be thereabouts, Carlton bouyed and the Crows and Power absolutely driven this summer, uncertain if the Suns play finals next year but they are getting very close too. So we will need to continue to evolve and improve to reach these heady heights next year.

Some people are inherently negative. We could have won and their opinions wouldn't change.
Some people are blindly optimistic and can’t see or perceive blatant issues even if they smack them right in the face. Rose coloured glasses etc etc.

Both types annoy me greatly. But it’s human nature. Just get over it.

A lot of that is fair, particularly the second paragraph.

I rarely mention what we do well, because it’s not something we need to fix.

However, I’m not looking at what I perceive as areas of improvements through one game. Much of what I mentioned in my previous post is stuff I’ve said multiple times, over a couple of seasons.

What’s new for me, is more of the discussion and criticism of our coaching, but even then, I’ve criticised our tendency to try and shut games down, and that it rarely works for us.
Fair enough. I do agree the defensive side of our midfield still needs a bit of work as does the need for plans B and C to stem bleeding. I think we got better at that through the year, but yeah, it still needs some work. It all just outlines the need for growth from players and coaches.

We need to add another midfielder. Particularly with Ashcroft out for the first half of next year but even when he returns. Zorko and Lyons another year older and no longer best 22 midfielders anyway. I wouldn’t say no to Treloar or Prestia for a year to help with the transition to the Ashcroft brothers, Fletcher and Marshall.

the casual fan doesn't realise their are 17 other football programs out there, busting their gut to improve.
17 busting their gut to improve? You seem to have forgotten the existence of Essendon.

I don't think re-signings necessarily get announced as they happen. Admittedly there's more interest in the Robertson re-signing, but there was one year we forgot to announce Keidean Coleman re-signing so I think we supporters care more about it than clubs do.

In terms of points, I think we've seen how easy getting points is, so I'm not sure a future third will move the needle a whole lot; we may prefer the pick this year where we don't have any F/S or academy players, and we also don't have a first round pick.
Strong mail is that Dev is leaving us. Terms already agreed to just a signature is all that is left. Really dont think we get a lot for him either.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back