List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not 100% sure he has committed to the eagles or anywhere else, however getting beat on Saturday may just burn a lot longer for Dev to the point he may in fact want to go one step further with the Lions.

As per my conversations with him, I very much got the feeling that had the lions won, he was gone, the fact they lost, it has given him something to think about and he knows he is giving up the premiership dream in the short term for $$$ if he chooses to leave.

Not sure I buy this, because west coast or wherever wouldn’t exactly be paying him huge coin (he’s a largely unproven player); what they can offer him is consistent game time as a mid.

All reports both here and in the media were that he loves Brisbane and wants to stay, but was frustrated with the lack of opportunity. If we don’t re-sign Zorko, he’s basically guaranteed a starting 22 spot (and probably would be even if Zorko stays on until Ashcroft is back at the very least).

Honestly can’t see where or when.

The defensive side of our midfield starts with our half forwards, Bailey and Rayner, and to a lesser extent Zorko.

It’s easy to shut down young, inexperienced sides, or one dimensional teams.

Harder to shut down teams with equal talent and experience.

I didn’t see any growth through the season from our team as a whole unit, in being able to shut down good opposition.

What I did see was Charlie popping up at times in our defensive 50 saving the day. But that is robbing our ability to transition the ball out of defence.

Still a lot of issues and work to do defensively, but I can't understand how you can't see improvement this season. Held Geelong to a very low score and Carlton well held twice - you can say Carlton are one dimensional if you like, but you still have to stop them.

Points against were significantly better, preventing scores against from turnover also way better this year compared to last. Clear improvement once Rich and Gunston were moved out of the team in terms of the cohesiveness of team defence.

I have my doubts about the overall talent of the list and whether the coach is the right one to get more improvement in us, but I think you might be overreacting slightly. Your opinion is your opinion though.

Sometimes you just come up against a good opposition team and they beat you - that's what happened on saturday.

Still a lot of issues and work to do defensively, but I can't understand how you can't see improvement this season. Held Geelong to a very low score and Carlton well held twice - you can say Carlton are one dimensional if you like, but you still have to stop them.

Points against were significantly better, preventing scores against from turnover also way better this year compared to last. Clear improvement once Rich and Gunston were moved out of the team in terms of the cohesiveness of team defence.

I have my doubts about the overall talent of the list and whether the coach is the right one to get more improvement in us, but I think you might be overreacting slightly. Your opinion is your opinion though.

Sometimes you just come up against a good opposition team and they beat you - that's what happened on saturday.
You know this year’s Geelong was a shadow of last year’s flag winning side.

By and large our system held up through the season and finals.

But every time we tried to shut a game or quarter down, our defensive tactics failed miserably.

And we still struggle against teams that run and hand ball a lot, while not appearing to be incorporating such a style in to our game offensively, or coming up with a defensive strategy to combat it.

It felt like we learnt/changed on the run with regards to shutting down games after the Melbourne loss in round 18. You'd think/hope a whole off-season to work on it will hopefully lead to better results.

I'm sure every club does a lot of work on it, but it's been mentioned Collingwood spend time every training session on their end of close game scenarios.

We ran out the game better than they did if Berry hadn't given away a silly 50

They left about 3 free players in the corridor for our last goal and Dunks slipped over letting de Goey run free

They left about 3 free players in the corridor for our last goal and Dunks slipped over letting de Goey run free
I also felt if the game had've had another 10 minutes in it we would've got over the top of them.

Something I was hoping for by the end of the 3rd start of the 4th.

Credit to them they responded strongly to every challenge.

So many what ifs. And so many players slipping over. It was usually us.

Robertson could be our version of Tom Mitchell. Not Mitchell in his prime but that hard nosed, tough tackling mid that gets the hand ball out of congestion. Can’t just keep relying on Neale and Dunkley for that. By the end of the year they were banged up.

But he needs to play midfield and know his limitations. Sometimes he doesn’t play the first option and instead tries to break a tackle. I would like us to free up Dunkley next year and get him back to getting 30 plus every week.

We have had a wonderful season with so many special H&A wins, plus two great finals wins and a loss in the GF by only 4 points. In games decided by such a small margin there will always be moments...some we grasped and others we missed.

At the end of the day we were playing Collingwood at their home ground, a team that is older and much more experienced than we are in playing at the MCG under the enormous pressure of capacity/near capacity crowds. We had one day less to prepare and had to travel as the "away" team and stay in a hotel etc - small things that all add up and history says that interstate teams do start as the underdogs in Grand Finals.

I firmly believe that the "slipping over" issue is in part a product of the MCG being a different surface to the Gabba - one we are used to and the other is one that Collingwood plays on as their home surface.

We played our hearts out and nearly snatched a magnificent win. If we had won by 2 points, none of these "one-percenter" issues or the shortcomings of players would be considered for a minute.

I for one am eternally grateful for the joy that Fages and our boys have brought to me in 2023. Jeez, a premiership would have been unreal but it was not meant to be - that is footy!

Funny you say that had money on Dunkley for the Norm Smith so followed him all day, he slipped over a lot, maybe needs to change boots

Yeah we had a pretty solid run with the play in that last game. Generated good shots from hipwood / daniher / coleman who all missed before cameron converted.

The de goey goal as you say was a bit sliding doors and hurt the most. If we could have just held the lead for a minute pies could have panicked

For all the talk of the pies being able to shut it down like they did against gws, we managed the daniher goal and then two more entries in the last 90 seconds. Far cry from 9 ball-ups and no movement

Yeah we had a pretty solid run with the play in that last game. Generated good shots from hipwood / daniher / coleman who all missed before cameron converted.

The de goey goal as you say was a bit sliding doors and hurt the most. If we could have just held the lead for a minute pies could have panicked

For all the talk of the pies being able to shut it down like they did against gws, we managed the daniher goal and then two more entries in the last 90 seconds. Far cry from 9 ball-ups and no movement
They actually were panicking a bit with the Neale leg pull another example.

Yeah. After the Cameron goal we just needed to get possession for a bit but it wasn't to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much said so far about who should be traded and who should come in.
Brisbane just lost a Grand Final by ONLY 4 points. One kick only. With a bit of luck, none of the previous discussion would have been relevant.
So much said about Dev staying or going, Cam not doing enough, Where should Berry play or should a trade be considered.

Here's my thoughts on making up that extra goal to win a premiership.

We missed Ashcroft and Payne. Huge losses. Grunt out of the middle and another big bloke on the backline to take the heat of Harris.
General field kicking can improve. Too much kick and hope. Missing easy targets. Collingwood did this much better.
Starcevich tapered of as the year went on. Once upon a time he was known for not losing one on ones. Definitely struggled. He was just one of several that were slightly below their usual game.
Ah Chee struggled to produce his best. His best looks great, but it wasn't there on Saturday.
Fletcher and Wilmot as we know will be great, but it was a grand final, and maybe too much was expected of them. Still just kids.
The big issue in the Grand Final was the lack of bravery of ball use and flair. The slow transitions out of the backline and the switch of play across the ground look predictable and out of character from earlier in the year. What was missing was the line breaking plays into the forward line. Turnover transition goals.
I'm sure with a bit of game plan tinkering, a bit of luck with injuries, and a year more of maturity, they can be bigger and better next year. This years result bloody hurt.

The addition of any of Doedee, Coffield, Chol or any other cheap pick ups will help for depth, but realistically the next premiership team is already there.

I wonder whether Prestia could be our Isaac Smith and the missing piece in the midfield?

I wonder whether Prestia could be our Isaac Smith and the missing piece in the midfield?

It’s interesting, but add Will back in and who goes out?

Let’s assume Lohman breaks into the team next year as well, who’s out for Kai?

If Dev goes any chance McCarthy pushed up the ground to play Devs role making room for Kai?

Payne in for Lester I think. Allows two lock down defenders in Gardiner and Starch.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Dev goes any chance McCarthy pushed up the ground to play Devs role making room for Kai?

Payne in for Lester I think. Allows two lock down defenders in Gardiner and Starch.

Isaac's a bit if a one off

Who goes out?
I’d go with 3KZ’s statement that Berry should not be an automatic selection.
He really pushes his luck, and it cost us.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back