List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's crazy how much times have changed at the club compared to just 8-10 years ago. We now have players (e.g. Lohmann and Dev) choosing to stay and fight for a position in the best 22 as opposed to leaving to head home for more opportunity and (potentially) more money and security.
Culture, long live Fages !

Pretty good effort to re-sign Dev considering the circumstances, only real benefit of staying with us over taking the offer is that we're in the premiership window.

good signing. Hopefully he can cement a spot in Brisbane midfield rotations. There is a role there for him he just has to take it with both hands. Hope he hits the gym hard and shows the nuffies he’s an AFL player.

If he was torn between moving and going the safe and generally best option is to stay at. At least you know the environment and what’s required to go one better. Jumping into a rabble that is the eagles is a very risky move even with the higher chance of more game time. That shit club is a basket case. Would hate to play for a WA team with the long commutes every second week tbh.

I would like if the club gave him an extended run training with the midfield during the preseason. I’ve been on record that I worry a little about our depth in there, so we need to try to promote within.

He’s shown he can win the ball at VFL level and even if that doesn’t correlate to senior level, we could always play him as the more “defensive mid” and have Dunks then go and win more of the ball.

Still not convinced he'll ever be an inside midfielder for us full time, too slow with his decision-making with ball in hand and his disposal skills are poor but you need your depth when you're in the premiership window.

good signing. Hopefully he can cement a spot in Brisbane midfield rotations. There is a role there for him he just has to take it with both hands. Hope he hits the gym hard and shows the nuffies he’s an AFL player.

If he was torn between moving and going the safe and generally best option is to stay at. At least you know the environment and what’s required to go one better. Jumping into a rabble that is the eagles is a very risky move even with the higher chance of more game time. That s**t club is a basket case. Would hate to play for a WA team with the long commutes every second week tbh.
I didn’t follow WCE much but I reckon what you said is exactly true about SPS and his delisting following a premature return home to the Eagles when they were at their lowest ebb.

Surprised he is staying TBH. He'd probably get full midfield minutes at West Coast while with us he will be borderline best 22.

People talk about this like it’s an extremely easy transition. Playing for us allows him to develop his skills while his weaknesses are largely covered. If he went to west coast he would be completely exposed in one of the worst teams in recent memory who just offloaded their old guys. It’s not comparable to the ben keays move as he went into a team which still had a level of experience in its skeleton (including the midfield).

I think it’s a good decision.

Still not convinced he'll ever be an inside midfielder for us full time, too slow with his decision-making with ball in hand and his disposal skills are poor but you need your depth when you're in the premiership window.

I'm also not sure if he currently has the running capacity required to be a full time inside midfielder at AFL level. Playing on the HFF, he still registers pretty low TOG% figures.

Last edited:
So happy Dev is staying.

I’ve said it before, but a good couple of games can see him jump into our best 15.

Thought he could hold his head high for his GF effort.

Also thought he was one of our best in the Prelim thrashing v cats last year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he’s pretty quick to make decisions especially by hand but I just feel his go to is backwards handballs. Needs to add a few more kgs and turn himself into an extraction midfielder as that is where his natural strengths will really shine. He natural role is is a pure in and under player and we’ve been trying to turn him into some weird defensive hybrid forward flanker/winger at AFL level.

If you watch the VFL he's playing his more appropriate role. Is very good in close. Has great hands when he has the confidence.

Feel he's a bit of a passive personality. Gets out of the way of more senior players. Just the vibe and hope he starts to build belief that he belongs. See ball get ball is what I want from Dev next season.

I agree but every so often he'll do something that makes me re-think this opinion. Reckon he's kicked a couple of really good goals after finding time and space somehow.

Its pretty sporadic but with that and his level of athleticism I can more easily see a world where he turns into a serviceable rotational mid than I ever could for Matho.

I think he’s pretty quick to make decisions especially by hand but I just feel his go to is backwards handballs. Needs to add a few more kgs and turn himself into an extraction midfielder as that is where his natural strengths will really shine. He natural role is is a pure in and under player and we’ve been trying to turn him into some weird defensive hybrid forward flanker/winger at AFL level.

If you watch the VFL he's playing his more appropriate role. Is very good in close. Has great hands when he has the confidence.

Feel he's a bit of a passive personality. Gets out of the way of more senior players. Just the vibe and hope he starts to build belief that he belongs. See ball get ball is what I want from Dev next season.
Fair enough although I feel like I notice him getting caught in traffic a bit because he's taken that extra second or two to work out what he wants to do with the ball, both in the seniors and the ressies. I think the reality is that even if he does work on those weaker elements of his game it'll still be hard for him to push past our current midfield rotation, especially with Will and Levi getting games in there in the next two years.

I'm also not sure if he currently has the running capacity required to be a full time inside midfielder at AFL level. Playing on the HFF, he still registers pretty low TOG% figures.
He does register in our best as far as sprints, defensive runs etc. I would hazard to say he might be one of our best runners. He is at least very quick, which is something we do lack.

Fair enough although I feel like I notice him getting caught in traffic a bit because he's taken that extra second or two to work out what he wants to do with the ball, both in the seniors and the ressies. I think the reality is that even if he does work on those weaker elements of his game it'll still be hard for him to push past our current midfield rotation, especially with Will and Levi getting games in there in the next two years.
I think we may be looking at more mid rotations and/or playing a HFF as a mid or something similar in the future. If that was to be the case, that could be what was said during his exit interview that made him change his mind. I think we will ease Ashy back in, first VFL, then AFL in the forward line or wing until deeper in the season. I don't see us taking much risk with him given his age. Levi isn't or shouldn't even be on our radar for the next two years as far as planning for the team. If he is as good or better than his brother, that's great, we have another mid rotation. But I doubt that possibility is even discussed by the coaches when talking about potential line ups for 2024 and 2025 with contract extensions etc.

So we lodge the Doedee paperwork tomorrow and our list management team then gets to start their annual leave 2 weeks early? Or do we expect there to be another move next week?
Maybee they might be worth having around on Draft Night ... you know just in case...

Not bad from a melts perspective on the Eagles board, but still pretty funny regardless.

Let’s not ever mention Deven Robertson’s name again. Enjoy the VFL.

Not upset with the Devon news tbh.

Not bothered by the Dev news, Lions would have been gunning for our pick 20 (or whatever it is).

I just think its a bad call by him. Odds on he'll spend the next 2 years in and out of the Lions side and then we'll be back here again.

What an idiot....enjoy being in and out of the side

Meh not that fussed on Dev re-signing ..

Smart from Dev. Self-knowledge that he doesn't have what it takes to step into a major role and wants to maximised his career by floating on the coat tails of better footballers.

Meh no big deal that Robertson stays at Brisbane. He was going to be a role player to protect the new draftees .

By the time he comes out of contract next we will have no need for him .

So we lodge the Doedee paperwork tomorrow and our list management team then gets to start their annual leave 2 weeks early? Or do we expect there to be another move next week?

We still need to rescue Coffield from Ross the Boss’ batshit boring gameplan.

Briztoon when he hears a trade has fallen over so we won’t get those sweet sweet picks, but it’s Dev who has re-signed

Larry David Reaction GIF

Very happy about him staying. Thought that he showed plenty throughout the season and having that consistent run would have helped. He is definitely best 22 and would rather a still developing 22 year old than a 34 slowing down Zorko (no dislike for Zorko though). Think that it will be a big pre-season for Dev as well. Big hopes for the lad. Well done Dev in staying.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back