List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I can understand agonising on this decision. He is basically weighing up likely less money but more chance at success, though not guaranteed to be best 22. On the other hand, he is being offered more years at more money and a guaranteed start in his home state but limited immediate opportunities for success.

It really is a tough decision.

Think it was more the reverse - couldn't get a spot in a decent team, so might as well at least play some games in a bad team and get paid more for it in another. Now he's getting games in a good team and can see a premiership potentially coming.
He's been in the side since the bye so you'd think if that was the issue he'd have signed on by now. Which makes me think he was still undecided the whole time and eventually started thinking "well if we win the flag then I'll leave", because that way he gets to eat his cake and have it too (success and money/home). Then we lost and now he's not sure whether to try again or leave.

Regardless, it feels like he'll be at the Eagles eventually, so it's just whether we get him for another 2 years or not.

He's been in the side since the bye so you'd think if that was the issue he'd have signed on by now. Which makes me think he was still undecided the whole time and eventually started thinking "well if we win the flag then I'll leave", because that way he gets to eat his cake and have it too (success and money/home). Then we lost and now he's not sure whether to try again or leave.

Regardless, it feels like he'll be at the Eagles eventually, so it's just whether we get him for another 2 years or not.
It's all speculation, but that's only half a season - at what point do you start feeling the spot is yours instead of dropping in and out? If we went out early (remember plenty of punters were tipping us to go out in straight sets again until we didn't) he wouldn't feel like he could be missing out on a premiership. The near miss after finally playing plenty of games in a row seems to have changed his opinion...

Anyway, as I said - all speculation. I just can't see how he would have thought we were such a monty for the premiership that he would've been locked in on leaving throughout the year "after we won it".

Seriously? Who is advising this guy

Remember riscetelli (??? Can't spell, to lazy to look it up) - had signed with suns then cried at the bnf because he didn't realize how hard it would actually be.

Dev is young, on paper going wins every time so decision seems easy.

But then reality slaps you on the face.

I believe he is genuinely torn. And which every way he goes, he will always have regrets.

Money or hopefully the Cup. What is the chance Westcoast will be challenging in five years time. Tough decision. All the best Dev in whatever decision you make.

Remember riscetelli (??? Can't spell, to lazy to look it up) - had signed with suns then cried at the bnf because he didn't realize how hard it would actually be.

Dev is young, on paper going wins every time so decision seems easy.

But then reality slaps you on the face.

I believe he is genuinely torn. And which every way he goes, he will always have regrets.
Nothing wrong with being torn over a decision but probably shouldn't be telling people you're leaving if you're not sure yet!

Sorry to intrude, do you see Dev being best 22 when Ashcroft is back and the brother enters the fray?

I would suggest he would be would fall into the 22 next year but not certain especially if there is improvement in a couple of others competing for that spot.

Personally though I struggle to see him in the 22 the following year when Ashcroft Jnr comes in.

I would suggest he would be would fall into the 22 next year but not certain especially if there is improvement in a couple of others competing for that spot.

Personally though I struggle to see him in the 22 the following year when Ashcroft Jnr comes in.
But then you start weighing up how long has Zorko/Neale go left or does McCarthy finish up and he keeps playing half forward. Then will anyone else look to move on? I can see him right on the edge of the 18-24 spot on the list for a few years now but that could tilt easily either way in or out of the team on a lot of factors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good for all parties I think. Dev can reevaluate where he sits in the pecking order in 2 years and can take off if it’s not working out. If he becomes a permanent member of the team, then he might even win a flag in that time.

He can also request a trade next year too. Contracts mean nothing nowadays.

He can also request a trade next year too. Contracts mean nothing nowadays.

I'm not fully convinced he's staying till I hear it from him.

We've done this before - Schache signed a contract then the club traded him. He got where he wanted, and we got better value at the trade table.

That comment from Sam Edmund is 100% accurate. Will be interesting what the outcome is either today or tomorrow.
Agree Mighty Lions.

I think I said a couple of pages back that my own conversations with him really made me think had the lions won, he was gone, the fact they got beat he really feels he wants to be a part of going one better next year hence the lack of decision.

It really is a case of being a part of something special now or take the money knowing you may not play in success for the next 5-8 years and by then he may find himself strangely in the same position as he is now in being just on the edge of playing senior footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back