List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Think you have done well with the Ryan trade. Hard to tell what his ceiling is off only a couple of games but looks a clear upgrade on Fullarton, plus you’ve managed to shift Gunston who I can only assume we think can be a valuable coach to a young group.

One word of warning though - in his first two games at Box Hill Ryan kicked 1.3 and 0.6 so he can have some flaky days in front of goal!
He'll fit right in then!

I'm no where near as down as I thought I would be after a GF loss, the first 10-15 minutes after the siren were the worst, by the time we walked back into town and sat down for dinner and the drive to the airport I was pretty good.

Over it completely now and looking forward to 2024.
This is 7 pages ago and I'm just catching up - but you're a better person than me. Still feeling flat

One word of warning though - in his first two games at Box Hill Ryan kicked 1.3 and 0.6 so he can have some flaky days in front of goal!

Well considering we are after backup in case Hipwood or Daniher goes down, he sounds like an absolute like-for-like.

Don’t think any team really deserves an A. Only North and that was with the help of the AFL.

I like what the Suns did in context, but it relied on the good fortune of having an unprecedented crop of academy kids coming through at once.

Well we were promised a Hawthorn ‘sharpshooter’ last offseason who was anything but so hopefully it’s the reverse!

The commentators use of ‘uncharacteristic Gunston’ became a bit of a meme.

Brisbane Lions​

IN: Tom Doedee (Adelaide), Brandon Ryan (Hawthorn)
OUT: Tom Fullarton (Melbourne), Jack Gunston (Hawthorn)
PICKS: 30, 39, 51, 54, 67, 97
The Lions held onto the side that propelled them into the grand final while boosting their defensive stocks with Doedee. Trading Gunston, who fell out of favour this year, for Ryan and a swap of picks should not hurt them in 2024 when the club has another flag tilt. Doedee will miss part of next season as he recovers from a knee reconstruction but is an upgrade.
Expert RatingMatt Turner7.5Avg Fan Rating6
Rate Brisbane Lions

Think you have done well with the Ryan trade. Hard to tell what his ceiling is off only a couple of games but looks a clear upgrade on Fullarton, plus you’ve managed to shift Gunston who I can only assume we think can be a valuable coach to a young group.

Not like we haven't seen that before. Sadly.

This is 7 pages ago and I'm just catching up - but you're a better person than me. Still feeling flat

You need a superior forgetting memory. You know, the type we oldies have. Can't remember what happened this morning, let alone last week.

There was a game? Great, I'm sure we won. Now where did I put that cup of tea?

You need a superior forgetting memory. You know, the type we oldies have. Can't remember what happened this morning, let alone last week.

There was a game? Great, I'm sure we won. Now where did I put that cup of tea?
The only thing that hurts a bit for me is that a Collingwood fluked an easy route in there winning 2 games they clearly should've lost and I'm confident we would've beaten the others or them if they had an extra game .

Moves well, can take an overhead mark and kick straight from outside 50.
Doesn’t put much body on and cannily avoids oppo contact,bit of a plucker..obviously reads it well

Not sure he’ll be the type to work his opponent over with multiple leads..play deep for high balls could be his go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A+ for Lions. We are a B because vic centric media still love Gunstan….. but that guy is cooked. Can’t turn, can’t bend over, no pace. He was horrible for us this year.

I think the trade for Ryan was great.
Hawkes started the week saying he was ungettable and I believe they meant it.

With only a week to react to Gunstan we targeted Ryan who we already liked and convinced him to join us, forcing the Hawkes to the trade table.

Hawkes and Sam Mitchell were never going to leave Gunstan high and dry…. And Dom knew this.

Pick 2 sounds about right for player who has strong potential with a 200cm frame.

Then you work out that our pick 2 their pick 3 is a minor points swap plus we get more points back with later picks.

Can Ryan break into our 22? Not sure but he could be anything.

Doedee is definitely a great player and an uplift

After Walter has been bid, and uses up the first 3 of GC’s second round picks…

We could trade pick 39 to Gold Coast for our future second round pick back.

Then package 49 (51) & 52 (54) for pick 36 (38) from Gold Coast. Our picks 51 & 54 are smack in the middle of Hawthorns and Bulldogs picks that will be used to match their father son kids, so will each move up 3 or 4 spots, increasing in points value, giving GC enough of a points upgrade to match their fourth academy kid.

Pick 30 (which stays at pick 30) we draft Will Dawson. 200cm KPD (20-12-2005).

Pick 39 (which possibly moves up to pick 37) we draft Riley Weatherill. 195cm KPF (21-11-2005).

Yep, load up and make this our "Land of Talls" draft this year. Even if 1 or 2 comes off, we'll be set for key position in future.

30 - Wil Dawson
36 - Riley Weatherill
67 - Patrick Snell (academy late bid match 194cm swingman. Richmond will snoop around and try to bid as usual)

Rookie (1 or both)
-- Bradley McDonald (199cm/85kg)
-- Billy Richardson (195cm/91kg)

EDIT : oh and also pick up Brodie McLaughlin as well somehow in there.

Last edited:
Jackson Hately.
I must have missed where he wanted to play for us?

Edit: well, other than the fact he's not very good, has been delisted, and would probably be willing to play for anyone - but that's not exactly the same. If Hately is the bar, it's setting it very very low.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back