List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft selections at completion of Trade period.

North with 5 first round selections:eek: and Port with a first selection at pick 73šŸ¤£ are the highlights.

I wonder if we try to move 30 and 39 up on draft night if a KPF we like is on the board around the early 20s.

None of the clubs ins look all that impressive IMO.

Can't seem to copy Lore 's latest image of the draft order, Port move up to pick 73 and getting Zac Thatcher in + Bombers getting Duursma are the only moves of any significance from this version I think.

Hope we're targeting one/some of those Gold Coast 20s picks in a points swap.

iā€™m aligned with the sentiment that itā€™s a good thing Gunston is no longer at Brisbane. We proved in the back end of the season heā€™s not needed.
The question for me is if Ryan will be better than Fullarton.
If true at Fullarton departed because we had Gunston on the list, then a lot of pick shuffling to essentially swap Ryan for Fullarton, and a 12 month loan of Gunston.

I think you might find that most of the assumptions have been made by you and size matters, but lets look on the bright side, just think of the points we will be of accumulating for Levi and the Academy boys when we miss the top eight With our squad having a spud

I think most of of those teams weā€™re also starting a downward trajectory
Hang on. What assumptions have I made? Iā€™ve kept it real.

For a quiet trade period we have done really well i think- albeit with some risk.

Doedee if his knee is fine is a perfect third key back / interceptor. Crucially he is a good AND confident kick. He sees an option and goes for it. Dizzy and Lester are solid but a bit slow in moving it on at times.

Ryan clearly we donā€™t know if he will make it. But by the GF Daniher was our most important player and the one we had least cover for. I liked Fullarton when he started but didnā€™t come on. Gunston was a third key tall if that. We really had nobody ready to go to replace Daniher. I am also adamant we should get him out of the ruck. Now we can train up Ryan and Fort for that third tall / ruck chop-out role. Good competition/ cover for the spot. Ryan seems similar to hippy but a but bulkier.

For a quiet trade period we have done really well i think- albeit with some risk.

Doedee if his knee is fine is a perfect third key back / interceptor. Crucially he is a good AND confident kick. He sees an option and goes for it. Dizzy and Lester are solid but a bit slow in moving it on at times.

Ryan clearly we donā€™t know if he will make it. But by the GF Daniher was our most important player and the one we had least cover for. I liked Fullarton when he started but didnā€™t come on. Gunston was a third key tall if that. We really had nobody ready to go to replace Daniher. I am also adamant we should get him out of the ruck. Now we can train up Ryan and Fort for that third tall / ruck chop-out role. Good competition/ cover for the spot. Ryan seems similar to hippy but a but bulkier.
Would assume Ryan gets $300k or so, so not a huge saving, but we can pre-load hugh or someone else with the spare cash - every little bit helps

I swear I saw something say 500k, which I guess is nothing too special these days but it's quite a bit considering he wouldn't be best 22?

Wow jeez that is quite a lot actually. Considering Ryan would be somewhere between Fullarton and Gunstonā€™s wages for someone who is most likely going to be more impactful than both is good. I know someone said to use that extra space for Clugs and Kiddy but with Gunston most likely having retired after next season anyway it wouldā€™ve already been money off the books. I assume they were planning on the cap space freed up from Gunston and most likely Zorko retiring into retaining talent beyond next year.

I donā€™t really buy into the idea we are in much of a cap squeeze. I could see it happening in the future as our window closes and we try to stay in it but that would be worse case as well. We have a very competent group managing the list.

OK, that's the trade period done n dusted. Doedee and Ryan in. Gunston n Fullerton out.

A cpl of spots to fill, Rich n Cockatoo, (Adams replaced by Joyce). We may now see some delistings. Matho likely, maybe B Coleman, Michael, Mcdowel-white. Zorko still not signed I think (he'll get 1 more year I'd say).

Still a lot to happen. How many will we draft, will a cpl of rookie upgrades be part of that? Are we still looking for some depth, another tall maybe, and/or a mid hybrid if Matho is let go? A cpl of dfa's maybe. I still like McLaughlin and Bonner and think both would be a good fit and round us out nicely.

Plenty more to keep us interested, keep us debating. Still some surprises I reckon.
I think they might fill the three vacant spots with delisted free agents. Hately, McLaughlin, and Bonner would be handy.

Hately in particular would be great cover Ashcroft's midfield role until he gets back.

I think they might only delist 2 fringe players, maybe McDowell-White and Michael.

Those two spots would be used in the draft.

Any excess pick in the draft can be traded for future picks with clubs needing points for Academy and F/S.

Probably a bit of shuffling between the main list and rookie list.

Doedee clear improvement. Get Ashcroft and Payne fit and weā€™re a much better team

Collingwood have Pendles and Steele getting older. I think they wouldā€™ve regressed without bringing in players. And they lost midfield depth

Those other clubs mostly brought in very average footballers

But youā€™re clearly not going to look at this logically so this is pointless
They add McStay back in to their forward line. Add Schultz who is an upgrade on Ginnivan.

Collingwood have kids they drafted (in the first round) a couple of years ago in their reserves, probably of similar quality to Lohmann, they hope to get games in to for their midfield.

Not saying they are like for like with Pendles and Steele, but they have drafted for the future, similar to us.

Adams had arguably already been pushed out of their midfield rotation, playing as a half forward this year, similar to how we play Robertson.

I donā€™t believe Collingwood see Adams too much of a loss to their midfield.

We have Zorko getting older.

OK, that's the trade period done n dusted. Doedee and Ryan in. Gunston n Fullerton out.

A cpl of spots to fill, Rich n Cockatoo, (Adams replaced by Joyce). We may now see some delistings. Matho likely, maybe B Coleman, Michael, Mcdowel-white. Zorko still not signed I think (he'll get 1 more year I'd say).

Still a lot to happen. How many will we draft, will a cpl of rookie upgrades be part of that? Are we still looking for some depth, another tall maybe, and/or a mid hybrid if Matho is let go? A cpl of dfa's maybe. I still like McLaughlin and Bonner and think both would be a good fit and round us out nicely.

Plenty more to keep us interested, keep us debating. Still some surprises I reckon.

I'd like us take 3 players from the draft, with at least one KP prospect and keep a spot open for the MSD.

I assume Zorko's management are still negotiating the dollar amount for an extra year, would be a shock to see him delisted at this point. I guess we could be keeping list flexibility open with the knowledge we can always add him back to the list without fuss after the draft.

If we do delist Coleman for the list spot I'd like us to give him one last shot on the rookie list. Might be the shot in the arm his career needs. There's a talented player there, just needs the right application and better fitness.

Michael I'd like to see get one more year to at least see if/how he can perform with an extended run without injury but can understand it if we do delist.
If we kept Michael with the intention of Coleman onto the rookie list I think we'd have to delist Matho for one more free spot. Been a good servant but if he's had no takers I think this might be the end of him at AFL. Don't think DMW gives us a spot because he's Category B but he probably waited too long to commit to AFL, at 27 next season hard to see him making it from here.

Iā€™m bigger and Iā€™m not a professional athlete. Not quiet as tall but close enough.

When he stands next to key defenders he looks slight. And he doesnā€™t exactly use his size that well. Prefers to run and jump for those miracle marks that at best creates a contest but often just gives away stupid free kicks.
So you havenā€™t?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern as well. But unfortunately the Lions just don't have the same opportunities such as those clubs to give lucrative "bonuses" outside of the salary cap so we are hamstrung a bit in terms of cap to bring in quality.

It's been done, so I'll get behind Ryan and the way I see it it's not his fault you take the job security any day of the week especially in his position.

This Gunston grub is the person I'm absolutely livid about. Tried to mercenary his way here to get another premiership, it didn't turn out/didn't work hard enough, and crawls back to Hawks with his tail between his legs. What irks me the most is that he allegedly DID NOT inform the club of this desire until a few active trading days left on the calendar. Absolute flog move by this grub and really bent the club over the barrel.

This. Hope Fages gets some learnings out of it.

On the trade. Massive win. Rid of Gunston. Have posted before that, thru the TV, I reckon the team were not real keen on him. Cost us sweet FA.

Got a bloke that can contribute now, if needed. 200 n good hands. Gold.When I watch him play, he moves and looks so much like the big O.

We r in the window, and he is what we need. Welcome to the Lions.

I think our list is in fantastic shape going forward and we will be in top 4 contention for a few years yet. Our oldest players and age at start of next season >

Dayne Zorko(35)- Not a vital member of our side any longer.
Jarryd Lyons(31)- Not best 22.
Ryan Lester(30)- Eminently replaceable by Gardiner or Doedee.
Lachie Neale(30)- Still got 2-3 good years left IMO.
Darcy Fort(30)- Not number 1 ruck, hopefully Lane/Smith can step up if needed.
Lincoln McCarthy(30)- Underrated IMO, a few years left, hard to replace.. Lohmann??
Joe Daniher(30)- Still a few years left, Ryan/need to draft a developing KPF.
Charlie Cameron(29)- Unique player, impossible to replace but is the type that could play for another 4-5 years IMO.

Only 1 member of our starting midfield group aging and with the 2 Ashcroft's + Sam Marshall, (Tunstill??) already here or coming in we should be in a good position to attempt to cover him in a couple of years, developing KPF and small forwards needed.

Last edited:
I think they might fill the three vacant spots with delisted free agents. Hately, McLaughlin, and Bonner would be handy.
Given historically we haven't headed down the path, I think it's unlikely but possible we take one. I think it's next to impossible that we take three.

I think our list is in fantastic shape going forward and we will be in top 4 contention for a few years yet. Our oldest players and age at start of next season >

Dayne Zorko(35)- Not a vital member of our side any longer.
Jarryd Lyons(31)- Not best 22.
Ryan Lester(30)- Eminently replaceable by Gardiner or Doedee.
Lachie Neale(30)- Still got 2-3 good years left IMO.
Darcy Fort(30)- Not number 1 ruck, hopefully Lane/Smith can step up if needed.
Lincoln McCarthy(30)- Still a few years left, Lohmann??
Joe Daniher(30)- Still a few years left, Ryan/need to draft a developing KPF.
Charlie Cameron(29)- Unique player, impossible to replace but is the type that could play for another 4-5 years IMO.

Only 1 member of our starting midfield group aging and with the 2 Ashcroft's + Sam Marshall, (Tunstill??) already here or coming in we should be in a good position to attempt to cover him in a couple of years, developing KPF and small forwards needed.
Thereā€™s always free agency and trade for key forwards too. Like how we acquired Joe.

Can someone explain to me why we wouldn't keep Matho as midfield depth, we've seen him step in for Lachie when injured.

I understand Lyons can fill that role but he's not getting any younger and I am haunted by the fact he's standing dead still when his man Pendlebury gets the game winning clearance despite only just being subbed on during the quarter.

Attachments

• wheres the pressure.png
    wheres the pressure.png
    827.9 KB · Views: 107
Draft selections at completion of Trade period.

North with 5 first round selections:eek: and Port with a first selection at pick 73šŸ¤£ are the highlights.

I wonder if we try to move 30 and 39 up on draft night if a KPF we like is on the board around the early 20s.

None of the clubs ins look all that impressive IMO.

We could trade pick 39 to Gold Coast for our future second round pick back.

Then package 49 (51) & 52 (54) for pick 36 (38) from Gold Coast. Our picks 51 & 54 are smack in the middle of Hawthorns and Bulldogs picks that will be used to match their father son kids, so will each move up 3 or 4 spots, increasing in points value, giving GC enough of a points upgrade to match their fourth academy kid.

Pick 30 (which stays at pick 30) we draft Will Dawson. 200cm KPD (20-12-2005).

Pick 39 (which possibly moves up to pick 37) we draft Riley Weatherill. 195cm KPF (21-11-2005).

Can someone explain to me why we wouldn't keep Matho as midfield depth, we've seen him step in for Lachie when injured.

I understand Lyons can fill that role but he's not getting any younger and I am haunted by the fact he's standing dead still when his man Pendlebury gets the game winning clearance despite only just being subbed on during the quarter.

Mathoā€™s time is up. When Ashcroft comes back, Dev will become our best depth mid. Then we have another Ashcroft to squeeze in soon after.

Lyons will finish his career in the VFL.

Id prefer Matho to Lyons but Lyons is contracted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back