List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:
I've always been a big fan of him but I'd love for us to target Alex Witherden from West Coast. He's out of contract this year and has been dropped a couple of times in the past at West Coast.

He's that perfect distributor off half back. He can distribute and he can accumulate. Can generally roost the footy 55+m too. Would much prefer the ball in his hands compared to someone like Hall.
Would become a whipping boy around here in about 20 seconds. There’s a reason he’s struggled to lock down a spot in the only team in the league worse than us.

Elijah Hollands has been disappointing. I'm glad we didn't go with him over WilPhil (like the reports suggested). Looks like being a bigger disappointment than Ainsworth. Crying shame when that happens to GCS :$
Saw that Ainsworth cracked 100 games recently. Not a lot of memorable ones but looks like he played them all against us, averages 17 touches and 1.6 goals a game compared to his career record of 14, 0.8 -- many such cases.

I don't want to replace Hall with somebody who has similar faults to him.

Thinking back to recent premiership sides most of their back halfs can defend and play their role in a team defence.

Each to their own mate.

I just think in the modern game you need elite ball users coming out of the back half, otherwise teams score heavily against you on turnover (which we currently suck at). Perfect example on the weekend was Ziebell's poor kicking out of the back half on multiple occasions costing us inside 50's and shot's on goal. If you had the ball in Witherden's hands instead, you'd be more certain of him finding a target.

I'm sure there are other options out there (like Bergman ect) but Witherden imo would definitely be worth a shot as a cheaper option.

I think that we need to go super hard at pre agents. I personally am not a fan currently of the draft pool at 16-18 if Port make a prelim/granny. I’d be looking to trade that for a player in a positional need who is almost elite at what they do but in the perfect age bracket and ready to make the next step, a la Adelaide’s trade for Dawson or Brisbane’s trade for Cameron.

I think this could be useful for a defender, whether that a running defender or an intercept defender, if we are going to progress we need to rapidly improve our defensive personnel. We can afford to pay a defender a lot more than another club could. I don’t have a target in mind, I don’t want to be shot down for being unrealistic, but it’s time to get aggressive.

Each to their own mate.

I just think in the modern game you need elite ball users coming out of the back half, otherwise teams score heavily against you on turnover (which we currently suck at). Perfect example on the weekend was Ziebell's poor kicking out of the back half on multiple occasions costing us inside 50's and shot's on goal. If you had the ball in Witherden's hands instead, you'd be more certain of him finding a target.

I'm sure there are other options out there (like Bergman ect) but Witherden imo would definitely be worth a shot as a cheaper option.

I agree with you 100%, it's pretty much a turnover game these days so quality ball use from the back half is essential. I just want players that can defend as well, maybe i'm greedy.

The back half is such a concern I started a thread about the state of our back 6 a couple of weeks ago.

I've locked in Bergman, Logue and Mckay if he stays. Mcdonald is probably a lock as well, I think Corr can play Ziebells role for a couple of years, although he's a massive question mark.
We need to add a lot, maybe Goater can come on, but outside of him we haven't got a lot coming through.

Hit the draft for back half, target quality like eg: Ash, Sinn, Bergman or like you said pick up players like Witherden to fill a role until we can find better long term options.

Edit: and on Ziebell he does so many good things, but his disposal is for the tip. He's gone back to his Jack the Hack days over the last few weeks, his refusal to handball and dump kick has been infuriating. Also his insistence to run past for a handball receive with no plan other than to kick it 50 metres is footy from a different era.

Last edited:
Elijah Hollands has been disappointing. I'm glad we didn't go with him over WilPhil (like the reports suggested). Looks like being a bigger disappointment than Ainsworth. Crying shame when that happens to GCS :$
I wouldn’t put a line through Hollands just yet. It can take some time to get back to 100% after knee recos.

I remember not having Hollands in my top 10 and having some back and forths about why he was the next Cam Rayner and would never become a midfielder.

He's always struggled with the defensive side of the game and lacks some toughness. I've not followed his progression at reserves level but I'm assuming that's probably got something to do with him struggling.

Long live Will Phillips

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember not having Hollands in my top 10 and having some back and forths about why he was the next Cam Rayner and would never become a midfielder.

He's always struggled with the defensive side of the game and lacks some toughness. I've not followed his progression at reserves level but I'm assuming that's probably got something to do with him struggling.

Long live Will Phillips

I remember you calmly explaining why Phillips was such a good pick while everyone was in meltdown about McDonald & Hollands.

Other big thing with Hollands is his tank, he definitely doesn’t have the same natural running capacity as his brother

Is he? He definitely doesn’t show it in the games I’ve watched him play this year. Often looks gassed with hands on hips.

I’m pretty sure he is a fair way behind the top group of runners (Anderson, Miller, Ellis, Sharp & Weller) at the Suns.
“Running a close second was fourth-year midfielder Noah Anderson, who ran a personal best time, with Jeremy Sharp finishing third.

Rounding out the top five were Elijah Hollands and James Tsitas.”

“Running a close second was fourth-year midfielder Noah Anderson, who ran a personal best time, with Jeremy Sharp finishing third.

Rounding out the top five were Elijah Hollands and James Tsitas.”
Who was injured that day?

Edit: a few noteworthy names were not in it...

"Some older faces mixed in to the first training session of pre-season after the time trial, with Touk Miller, Jarrod Witts, Sam Collins, Lachie Weller and Brandon Ellis joining their younger teammates on the training field."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back