Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you heard anything on Bailey Smith Topiary ?

If he does genuinely want out, we'd have to be pretty ****ing appealing.

Caleb Daniel is great but if that’s the upside for a potential top 3 picks, I’m taking Duursma instead

Nah, it's not that.

Daniel was the highest rated player by Champion Data in his under 18 year (due to his skills). But, he didn't have the X-factor or genuine generational traits of Watson, and was never rated as a top 3 prospect.

The fact he slid to pick 45 was still criminal though. In hindsight, all the signs were there that he was a top 20 selection, but he was judged because of his size.

He is a walk up start in Geelongs midfield.
He isn't in ours. Really good player but I can't see who he pushes out .

So if he wants to move I can see why Geelong would be a better fit for him as far as midfield minutes goes .

True.
He'd push most of our guys out when he's at his absolute best to be honest.

However I see him and Amon pairing on a wing. Both those guys can go into the midfield too which is nice. Ward too. Versatile players.

Indeed. People seem to forget, ignore or overlook that the Victorian teams, especially the big ones, have a massive historical advantage that tilts the competitive balance in their direction. It is a built in advantage that started forming 100 years ago. No current administrator, player or fan can claim credit for that because they weren't even born when it started.

And no one bats an eyelid when a Victorian gun wants to stay in the AFL but 'return home' to Melbourne. Why wouldn't a kid who grew up in South East Queensland want play in the AFL but stay home too? And if the AFL can't provide that then those talented kids will choose something else like League or worse (see below).

So the Northern Academies compensate for that in built advantage but only partially.

But why bother with Queensland anyway? Why not keep it all contained in Melbourne with a few fly ins from SA and WA (and Tas)? You know, the traditional heartland states that are the true and worthy custodians of the game. Because soccer. 50 years from now our clubs could easily all be soccer clubs. And for the amusement of their fans and as a sop to a few old timers, they'll put on the occasional exhibition matches of 'Aussie Rules'. Our game will become a museum piece unless we strive to keep growing it wherever we can and right now that means Queensland.

What a wank.

Dont forget that the kids who want to return to Melbourne have 10 clubs to pick from. So for every kid who returns to WA/QLD/NSW/SA, the clubs there have a 50% chance of landing them. For every kid wanting to return to Melbourne, the vic clubs have a 10% chance of landing them.

Academies are a ****en rort and its the only AFL related hill I'm willing to die on. these clubs also have just as much chance as hitting F/S too.

It's the language you used mate not your point of view. For instance he won't be "Gifted" those goals at AFL level. I could say the same for Durrsma because when he did play VFL he didn't get gifted any goals or take any marks. They are both very talented. A lot of ppl have their favourites and u can see that in the players in the current Hawthorn team. Some can do no wrong while others are not worthy of a list spot

As an aside i am not hooked on either player. If we get Duursma great if we choose the Wiz also great
And both???

Bailey Smith-

A. ball butcher with no defensive/contested game

Or

B. damaging, goal kicking, running machine star (mostly on insta of late).

I'm thinking more column A but a change can occasionally do wonders.

Just on Bailey Smith, I find it hard to believe he would really want to go to Geelong to be honest. I understand the Cotton On connection and land package may be the sealer for him but surely it's not hard to see they're going to have a pretty lean period over the next half decade, no?

If he doesn't want to live in Brighton and play for his boyhood team then all the best to him but it's a surprise!
I remember posters saying the exact same thing about Dangerfield choosing Geelong all those years ago.

Not that I don’t agree that they are definitely due to have a spell down the ladder, but they have a good rep in the industry of being able to reload and go again, and the runs on the board to show for it. There would be plenty in Smith’s ear telling him they’re a good place to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is all about cost.
I should add. Day and Smith did not talk about nothing on the way home from Lonnie and after.
Black Widow Avengers GIF

Call me old and silly but I reckon we would find a spot for Bailey Smith if he wants to join us.

If we're genuinely after Smith I can't see why he would cost us all that much given his recent form and the mix of players in the Dogs midfield currently.

Were we to look at a future first I'd expect Smith and then some for it, if it's a pick from this years draft I'd imagine the second round pick and then some sweeteners would do it.

All I can say to this is…. garbage. 🚮
Agreed. Either it is a national comp, with a nation's talent available to everyone, or it is not.

Bailey Smith is the only interesting player up for trade.
The rest are average or below average players who will not make a difference to us at all.

Indeed. People seem to forget, ignore or overlook that the Victorian teams, especially the big ones, have a massive historical advantage that tilts the competitive balance in their direction. It is a built in advantage that started forming 100 years ago. No current administrator, player or fan can claim credit for that because they weren't even born when it started.

And no one bats an eyelid when a Victorian gun wants to stay in the AFL but 'return home' to Melbourne. Why wouldn't a kid who grew up in South East Queensland want play in the AFL but stay home too? And if the AFL can't provide that then those talented kids will choose something else like League or worse (see below).

So the Northern Academies compensate for that in built advantage but only partially.

But why bother with Queensland anyway? Why not keep it all contained in Melbourne with a few fly ins from SA and WA (and Tas)? You know, the traditional heartland states that are the true and worthy custodians of the game. Because soccer. 50 years from now our clubs could easily all be soccer clubs. And for the amusement of their fans and as a sop to a few old timers, they'll put on the occasional exhibition matches of 'Aussie Rules'. Our game will become a museum piece unless we strive to keep growing it wherever we can and right now that means Queensland.
231c7d4ca076adc2b5d3551454f471f1a797eb5596f5844e6c2f54f9f9e7cad0.jpg

Duursma has more upside than Watson.

Ultimately Watson will be limited by his size, it's just that simple.
100% in agreement.

Duursma could become a lethal forward/mid and have a similar impact to martin/petracca, just in his own way.
The huge upside if a few things go his way ( growing 1-3 inches, physical development, tank etc) make him my preferred forward.

Watson does not have that same upside IMO.
At best he will be a Pickett, which is still a very good player, and a type that we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back