Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s always amazing how some players are written off when they miss games and others get better.

If Jeka had another season of not playing senior footy with us he’d be talked up as a Brownlow threat.

People have very short memories. The entire team was struggling in the early part of the season. This included CJ who hasn't had the continuity of the rest of the team as he has been out injured for quite some time. There was very little run and space when the team had ball in hand back then. It was a whole team problem. I recall there were plenty of pitchforks out wanting to delist players now considered to be best 22. Funny.

People have very short memories. The entire team was struggling in the early part of the season. This included CJ who hasn't had the continuity of the rest of the team as he has been out injured for quite some time. There was very little run and space when the team had ball in hand back then. It was a whole team problem. I recall there were plenty of pitchforks out wanting to delist players now considered to be best 22. Funny.
Correct. It's laughable. CJ even got a coaches vote in our first win.

He clearly lacked his bounce and dynamism this season was evident in his movement. His high watermark over his 45 games for impact on games is at a level others won't ever get to and as others have pointed out teams had to put time into him. A fit and firing CJ will be huge for us in 2024.

CJ fits our list profile. Didnt have a pre season this year. He is going tear sides up next year. His ability to run and carry and help out his fellow defenders is second to none when he is fit and firing. He was being paid a lot of attention as he was game changing threat. He brings excitement exhuberance and the crowd into the game. He is also the loudest and brashest guy on the track.

Looking forward to CJ lighting it up at the G. I have faith. I want to get back to being the quickest side in the league next year ask every team to try and keep up with us. Ward is another who had a limited pre season. Cant wait.

Could we play him Forward he would bring that attacking unpredictable flair back to our forward line that we had when Buddy and Jnr was with us.

I don’t think anyone is keen to write off CJ, but the team dynamic has changed significantly. We have a significant number of similar type players off half back already who have passed CJ while he’s been injured.
The other issue we’re having is a squeeze through our midfield Worpel, Nash, Newcombe, ward, mackenzie, Macdoanld, long and stephens are all competing for spots in our midfield and it seems like the ones who will be sticking around long term will be those who can play a secondary role as either half backs or half forwards.

Finally, it seems clear that we’re keen to change the dynamic of our backline as a whole. If the rumours are true and we’re trying to bring in mckay and/or esava, spots in our backline are going to dry up very quickly.

Again I love CJ and I don’t care whether we trade him or not, but he’s spent a long period of time injured, he occupies a position we’re relatively strong in, the setup of the backline seems set to change if we manage to bring in more big bodies and given some of the other players we’ve been linked to, CJ is one of the only younger players we have with currency that is arguably expandable

the setup of the backline seems set to change if we manage to bring in more big bodies and given some of the other players we’ve been linked to, CJ is one of the only younger players we have with currency that is arguably expandable
Are you saying because he's expandable that we might not have to bring in big bodies from outside?

Are you saying because he's expandable that we might not have to bring in big bodies from outside?
No I’m saying the fact that we are looking to bring in big bodies, combined with the fact that we have a lot of similar sized players and players with pace already in our backline makes him expandable

No I’m saying the fact that we are looking to bring in big bodies, combined with the fact that we have a lot of similar sized players and players with pace already in our backline makes him expandable
Expandable? I too am hoping that he can expand on his strong form pre-injury 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The team struggling doesn't explain individual issues like the fumbles, dropped marks, skill errors and positioning issues that were occurring this season prior to his injury. CJ also played 9 games from between round 10 and 20 (inclusive) last season, so it's not as if he was out of the team for a while leading into this season.

I’m thinking a hypothetical thread might not be the thread for you! You should start a 100% fact thread.

Except there’s a good number of posters here who do discuss genuine inside info who’ve backed it up over multiple off seasons. There’s also genuine trade gossip and news that gets discussed along with hypothetical trades. If bored teenage trolls posting stuff that had already been discussed in all caps and emojis is how you get your entertainment though, then again there’s Twitter/X where any number of deadshit trade accounts post regurgitated Bigfooty gossip. Highly recommend it if that’s what you’re into.

Last edited:
Can we move the CJ assessments and support to the CJ thread this is for whacky trades!
Ffs. So the answer is no we can’t move all the CJ stuff to the CJ thread. Alright then let’s trade him so we can get this thread back on track.
Hawks give brockman CJ frost f1 29
Hawks get suns r1 suns f2 McKay 39
Suns give r1 f2
Suns get CJ hawks f1 29 38
Eagles give 38
Eagles get brockman
North give McKay 39
North get 3 compo (hawks guarantee) frost (we get 39 for guaranteeing compo band 1)

Draft
Hawks 4/5 (2 of Duursma/ McKercher/ Watson) 39,48 match McCabe equivalent pick 19.
Hawks 2024
F2 suns f2 f3 f4

I don’t think anyone is keen to write off CJ, but the team dynamic has changed significantly. We have a significant number of similar type players off half back already who have passed CJ while he’s been injured.
The other issue we’re having is a squeeze through our midfield Worpel, Nash, Newcombe, ward, mackenzie, Macdoanld, long and stephens are all competing for spots in our midfield and it seems like the ones who will be sticking around long term will be those who can play a secondary role as either half backs or half forwards.

Finally, it seems clear that we’re keen to change the dynamic of our backline as a whole. If the rumours are true and we’re trying to bring in mckay and/or esava, spots in our backline are going to dry up very quickly.

Again I love CJ and I don’t care whether we trade him or not, but he’s spent a long period of time injured, he occupies a position we’re relatively strong in, the setup of the backline seems set to change if we manage to bring in more big bodies and given some of the other players we’ve been linked to, CJ is one of the only younger players we have with currency that is arguably expandable

Acknowledging weaknesses and pointing out issues seems to automatically equal you writing the player off around here.

The team struggling doesn't explain individual issues like the fumbles, dropped marks, skill errors and positioning issues that were occurring this season prior to his injury. CJ also played 9 games from between round 10 and 20 (inclusive) last season, so it's not as if he was out of the team for a while leading into this season.

A lot of those skill issues weren’t nearly as prevalent at the start of 2021 though. His decision making was also not infuriating as it was later in the year and into this year. The way he started last year was collossal and he got multiple fan voted MVPs - the crowd lifted every time he came near the ball. It’s what makes me hope the issue is more mental than anything else and if he gets his body right and some confidence back in his game he’ll be back to taking on the game without the yips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back