Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mate, you must think Reid is going to be able to play 3 positions simultaneously, if you’re ok with us losing 3 first round talents and Brockman for him.

It makes almost no sense for us to contemplate a trade like that at this stage.
Only reason I see sense to it is that we will use pick 1 to pry away a contracted player from another club, for example we end up with king and p4, or baz and other player and/or picks

If North are serious, they’ll be telling WC to deal with them for pick 1 or they’ll pick Curtin. It’s that’s simple. There’ll be a lot of speculative bullshit for the next few months, but at the end of the day, WC are fairly restricted in what they can pull off here as they’re desperate for Curtin. If they’re willing to look past him, then it opens things up for them with other clubs including us. But I just can’t see it happening.

I’d love Reid at the right price, but as others have pointed out, if we could get Duursma and Watson at the exact same price, I know who I’m picking.
I'd love for our draft / track watchers to weigh in on this a) put all the eggs in one basket and sell the farm for Harley b) make a play for the Suns pick and draft two of Watson, Reid or McKercher.

High risk high reward. It would all come down to just how highly Reid is regarded. In Croad and McPharlin we did trade away two bloody good footballers (I’m very confident neither Brockman nor DGB will be even close to as good as either) and yet it’s the best trade we ever did. Pick 3 and F1 are the more valuable assets. But if Reid is regarded as highly as Hodge was 20 years ago, you do it. Otherwise no.

I’d imagine any trade for pick 1 with all of those parts being discussed would also involve other picks that West Coast won’t even use coming back to help match a McCabe bid. So it could be worked out in a way that nets Reid and McCabe for example which would looks a lot more reasonable

If a trade up can be done without losing a F1 - even if it means getting another clubs instead - I’d be for it
We traded Croad & McPharlin when we finished 3rd after losing the prelim final in 2001.

We got Hodge, then we fell down the ladder to almost grab the spoon in 2004, and finish third bottom in 2005. At that stage the trade looked like a complete bust.

Seven years after it was done the Croad / McPharlin trade looked a lot better.

Imagine waiting 7 years to realise a trade ended up benefiting your club?

There's no such thing. No club would make any sort of 'agreement' with another club pre draft.
You may have heard stories in the past but that's all they were. Stories.

BS. There's been plenty of rorts. Remember the one involving the Swans trading out then back into the draft which the AFL had to close the loophole on? That had to have been discussed and planned predraft.

Maybe I'm dillussional, but I think DBGs' prospects and value are severely undersold on this forum. Especially to a team looking to rebuild.
Personally I'd prefer we hold onto him.
I can see DGB, being a very useful swing player. He has a lot of mongrel in him, his only real issues I’m hearing about is his endurance. His endurance can be worked upon, through diet and training. his natural aggressiveness and competitiveness is a lot harder to teach. If DGB want to stay, we keep him.

Brocky wants to go home with family, that’s understandable. We will get what we can get and move on.

Trading for pick one, it will cost way too much. We are better off trying to get another top ten pick in wether it be GWS or Suns. If we can get McCabe, Tew and possibly Dear as a rookie + 2 top ten picks it will be a good haul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan Burton didn’t want to be traded. If a club doesn’t want you, why would you stay?
Burton agreed to it in the end and as far as I can tell, DGB is more well liked amongst the playing group than Burton was.

There is also a difference between a club thinking you have trade value and a club not wanting you.

We traded Croad & McPharlin when we finished 3rd after losing the prelim final in 2001.

We got Hodge, then we fell down the ladder to almost grab the spoon in 2004, and finish third bottom in 2005. At that stage the trade looked like a complete bust.

Seven years after it was done the Croad / McPharlin trade looked a lot better.

Imagine waiting 7 years to realise a trade ended up benefiting your club?
Basically the same timeline if you keep and use the other picks so that’s not really a relevant consideration.

It’s ultimately just a decision on the projected quality of the individuals involved. It will be for people to decide whether they project Reid to be that much better than the other players we’d likely draft. If other picks back equate to matching a McCabe bid it takes a bit of a different shape too

If the decision makers genuinely see Reid as a Hodge / Dusty type player (ie multi norm smith medal winning projection), you move heaven and earth to get him. Otherwise you don’t

Last edited:
Reid will be a gun, but he isn’t the best mid, forward or back in this draft. I’m not even giving up 2 firsts for him. Especially as we’ll still be the youngest team in the league next year, and history suggests those sorts of team finish bottom 4. Let’s not get sucked into our late season form and think we’re going to improve dramatically, there’s been a few seasons lately where we’ve finished in the flourish then s**t the bed the first half of the next season
I've seen this point a bit, but let's be clear here. Reid is the best forward in the draft, he is definitely the best back in the draft, and he's pretty much equal with McKercher as a mid. Players with Reid's football nous to play as a one-on-one defender, an interceptor, a clearance mid, a forward target, and a general forward simply do not exist. Couple that with the athletic profile, his strength without being overbulked too young, and his good skills, and you have a player worth paying up for. Go watch the replay of his VFL game for Essendon, or a few of his champs games. He's a player that can play anywhere, and as he builds his stamina can move into the midfield and be a real threat to the comp. Duursma and Watson look good, and there are some players next year that look to be very good prospects, but no one has the upside of Harley.

This is just my opinion, but if we have a chance to get Reid for a price the club thinks is reasonable then we would be madmen not to take it. I think a reasonable deal could be done, and I'd be happy if that included a future 1st and our current pick.

That being said, I don't think it'll happen. He'll probably end up at the Roos or Melbourne.

How often has pick 1 been the best player from the draft? Nick Riewoldt would be the only unanimous #1 that would be taken again first in his draft year. (Very happy with Luke Hodge, but he's got some serious competition)

No doubt Reid will be a tremendous player, but there's absolutely no guarantee that he will have a better career than Zane Duursma, Nick Watson, Colby McKercher, or even a speculative pick taken later in this draft. On exposed junior form Reid is an absolute jet, but that doesn't always translate into an elite AFL career.

Keep pick 3. Use next year's first to try to secure another top end pick this year. The more A graders we develop the quicker we will win our next piece of Silverware.

I'd happily trade pick 3 and a F1 for pick 1 but not our future 1st.

I'd be upping the contract value for McKay to net Norf a 1st round compo pick on an agreement that they do not take Curtain with either pick 2 or 3. Then do the deal with Eagles for pick 1.
Our future 1st will be pick 18. Later after fa compensation, academy and father son. Why would you trade someone else's higher pick for pick 1?

We are just not in a position to trade for Reid. I am not even hung up on the DGB and Brockman part, it is the future first. We still have a lot of holes on this list. We can use that future first if the right trade comes up i.e a Bailey Smith type or to move in to this years top 10 again. Otherwise we hold it.

We are not close enough to being a complete list to be using so much currency on 1 player.

How often has pick 1 been the best player from the draft? Nick Riewoldt would be the only unanimous #1 that would be taken again first in his draft year. (Very happy with Luke Hodge, but he's got some serious competition)

No doubt Reid will be a tremendous player, but there's absolutely no guarantee that he will have a better career than Zane Duursma, Nick Watson, Colby McKercher, or even a speculative pick taken later in this draft. On exposed junior form Reid is an absolute jet, but that doesn't always translate into an elite AFL career.

Keep pick 3. Use next year's first to try to secure another top end pick this year. The more A graders we develop the quicker we will win our next piece of Silverware.
Finally some common sense. Staggered at some of the deals being thrown around in here.

We are just not in a position to trade for Reid. I am not even hung up on the DGB and Brockman part, it is the future first. We still have a lot of holes on this list. We can use that future first if the right trade comes up i.e a Bailey Smith type or to move in to this years top 10 again. Otherwise we hold it.

We are not close enough to being a complete list to be using so much currency on 1 player.
This. I agree that our list still needs a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back