Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although we improved this year, we were still a bottom 3 team. Looking at the ladder who we will overtake next year? You would assume WCE stays bottom, but after that those around us should improve. My point is giving away 3 players (two potentially top 5 picks and a gun young player) for Ried doesnt make sense. We have the fewest top 20 picks on a list and should be doing everything we can to get more, not hamper our draft hand for the next two years.

Generational talent is one of most overused terms. How out of the last five years could really be called that? Maybe Nick daicos - but he wasn’t even pick 1.

This pick 1 stuff seems like click bait. Paying pick 3, F1 (likely top 5) and a MacDonald/Ward type would be enough to get any player in the competition. Has there been a higher bounty ever paid? That’s equivalent to Chris judd trade - who was a bonafide superstar, not an unproven kid.

Wouldn’t the traded player need to agree to a trade? Who on our list can we see agreeing to go West?
This.

Burton was the last player we were able to instigate a move out of the club and that was with an opportunity to return home to Adelaide to play for his childhood club. Even then there were concerns on his character.

Can't see any Melbourne-based mids in CMac, McKenzie or Ward moving unless WCE offers huge $$$ relative to what they've produced thus far.

Mitchell may have decided that Newcombe, Day, Nash is our core and should be complimented by that X-factor mid/fwd.

Worpel/Hust are grunt mids.
CMac can play fwd/wing.
Ward can play wing.
Frenchie doesn't have a secondary position…

That being said – if we’re committed to an absolutely bonkers trade that I hate – I prefer (in the loosest of terms) it would be Scrimshaw or Jiath.

West Coast like the look of our Frenchie. CMAC is another one.

One of Frenchie, CMAC, Ward will be involved.

They want young mids. We are willing.
Wouldn't want to lose any of them but, fwiw, reckon Frenchy and CMac have higher ceilings but Ward has the higher floor, i.e. most consistency.

I guess the biggest question would be: Is any of the three willing to move to leave our nest and move west?

If none of them wishes to leave, I'd rather walk away from the deal and see if our f1 could be used elsewhere - Hi Baz!

West Coast like the look of our Frenchie. CMAC is another one.

One of Frenchie, CMAC, Ward will be involved.

They want young mids. We are willing.
If we do that trade we are flat out rating Reid as the modern day Leigh Matthews!

We finished 16th, we need to keep hold of our picks to improve across every position.

Oh well this will either succeed spectacularly or go down in flames, there won't be a middle ground if we do this trade.

Mitchell may have decided that Newcombe, Day, Nash is our core and should be complimented by that X-factor mid/fwd.

Worpel/Hust are grunt mids.
CMac can play fwd/wing.
Ward can play wing.
Frenchie doesn't have a secondary position…

That being said – if we’re committed to an absolutely bonkers trade that I hate – I prefer (in the loosest of terms) it would be Scrimshaw or Jiath.
That's the question and the decision to be made. Do we have too many of the same type of midfielder that we can spare a very good one to get something completely different?

If the trade was pick 3, F1 and one of these blokes (therefore three early first rounders), Reid would need to become a top 10 player of the next decade for the trade to succeed. I would at least hope any such trade would involve a bunch of later picks coming back so that it is effectively Reid and McCabe.

If we do that trade we are flat out rating Reid as the modern day Leigh Matthews!

We finished 16th, we need to keep hold of our picks to improve across every position.

Oh well this will either succeed spectacularly or go down in flames, there won't be a middle ground if we do this trade.

It looks a lot better if we improve next year. If we're bottom 4 it's bonkers.

Also Reid's impact won't be immediate because, as good as he is, he's still a young player that needs development. Petracca, Dusty, DeGoey weren't all superstars from Day 1 even if they showed flashes.

If Brocky has his mind set on WC which it looks like he does then Freo offering anything is useless because he wont agree to it.
If he wants to be close to family then he has 2 options.

If WCE aren’t realistic then it’s Dockers or PSD.
I know his preference is WCE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generational talent is one of most overused terms. How out of the last five years could really be called that? Maybe Nick daicos - but he wasn’t even pick 1.

This pick 1 stuff seems like click bait. Paying pick 3, F1 (likely top 5) and a MacDonald/Ward type would be enough to get any player in the competition. Has there been a higher bounty ever paid? That’s equivalent to Chris judd trade - who was a bonafide superstar, not an unproven kid.
Exactly right. This is the sort of package for a 23 year old Chris Judd.

Looking back in previous drafts how many times has the number 1 pick been the best player. Maybe twice.

Just not worth it.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's the question and the decision to be made. Do we have too many of the same type of midfielder that we can spare a very good one to get something completely different?

If the trade was pick 3, F1 and one of these blokes (therefore three early first rounders), Reid would need to become a top 10 player of the next decade for the trade to succeed. I would at least hope any such trade would involve a bunch of later picks coming back so that it is effectively Reid and McCabe.
For that cost he'd need to be literally the best player for the next ten years, not just top ten. I'm talking GAJ / Buddy type level.

Overpaying for superstars is hazardous enough, to pay that kind of price for a kid who's never even played a single game strikes me as previously stated as absolutely bonkers!

If we do offer some ‘extraordinary package of picks/players’, I just wish the List Management team would make it a ’close of business today’ type of offer.

I feel we get strung along to get other sides to up their offer (eg Essendon/Mackay).

Either accept our offer, counter it, or reject it. But by the end of the day, it’s off the table and we’re moving on.

Wouldn’t the traded player need to agree to a trade? Who on our list can we see agreeing to go West?
They don’t have to go West.
They could stay in Melb for a decent pick that is then traded to WCE.

Third club involved 😉

Exactly right. This is the sort of package for a 23 year old Chris Judd.

Looking back in previous drafts how many times has the number 1 pick been the best player. Maybe twice.

Just not worth it.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app
And even though Judd was very good for the Blues I'd argue West Coast still came out ahead given the price Carlton paid to get him over. Josh Kennedy did kick like 700 goals for them!

If this was another club like North putting together this type of package we'd all be laughing our heads off at them.

Got a real late Clarko vibe about it 😳

Not sure the wisdom of trading Worpel after he just had close to a career best year?

Every team needs an inside contested ball workhorse and he proved this year that he is probably top five in the league at this role (even top 3 looking at his clearance numbers)

If we have to offer up a proven player it would be one of our half backs like CJ (or as much as it pains me to say) Scrimmers.

Best time to do it after he had his career best year his stock is high.

He has two good years since he was drafted.

And even though Judd was very good for the Blues I'd argue West Coast still came out ahead given the price Carlton paid to get him over. Josh Kennedy did kick like 700 goals for them!

If this was another club like North putting together this type of package we'd all be laughing our heads off at them.

Got a real late Clarko vibe about it 😳

I trust early Sam's vision a heck of a lot more than that of late Clarko's.

Not saying I'm completely comfortable with the deal being proposed but will trust Sam's judgement - he knows what we need better than we do.

I would prefer we just walk away, keep our pick 3 and our F1. We get to keep all our kids.

Pick 3 and F1 for Reid and F2 would be where I am at. Let someone else sell the farm
Yep that's a fair deal 👍

Anything more and we are getting screwed big time.

Walk away, get a good kid with pick 3 plus McCabe and Dear get Chol and Massimo in as trades and that's a decent result.

Pick 3, Future 1st, Brockman and either CJ or MacDonald, for pick 1 - Crazy, let's roll the dice lol gamba gamba gamba

P.S. But in all seriousness, losing 2 top 5 picks or at least 1 and maybe a top 10 pick, then losing 2 starting 22 players is not worth 1 player imo.

Last edited:
Yep that's a fair deal 👍

Anything more and we are getting screwed big time.

Walk away, get a good kid with pick 3 plus McCabe and Dear get Chol and Massimo in as trades and that's a decent result.

I would prefer we draft Curtin and potentially use him as a chip to lure Reid in future.

Worst case, we get a gun kid anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back