Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain to me who the hell is paying a contract big enough to Battle for it to be a R1 compo pick? System is ****ed if thats the case.
Apparently $900K is the new target for band 1 compensation and the AFL is only taking this year's small CBA into account whereas the next few years will be much bigger. It's not like clubs will manage the FA's contract offer with the CBA increase for the next 3 years for FA players this year......lol.

I'm calling it now this is a SUPER Draft, the skills and talent out there today is terrific.
Such a wealth of even talents, no usual drop off after the top 5 or so from what I've watched, so many of them I'd be happy with. Draper has got to be our pick, no go home worries and looks top 5 on what he's doing at South.

We've got to trade our F1 into this draft to accelerate the rebuild. Gold Coast are the ones to target.

If they lose Battle, and with Wilkie getting on, I can see them selecting Luke Trainor
Actually even though it's a midfielder laden draft there's some KPP's that have elevated big time during the Nationals.
Whitlock brothers, Luke Trainor, Jonty Faull, Harry Armstrong, James Barrett, Tom Sims,Jobe Shannahan, Charlie Nicholls, Tallan Rosenzweig, Charlie West etc all would have decent draft chances.

And how about we draft the running defender/winger/midfielder Tobie Travalgia, reminds me so much of Will Day it's not funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly this is what I want

I want an opportunity to be able get 2 draft picks in the top 10 - whatever the future cost

I think a combination of Draper and Lalor is ideal then Welsh

If we cant get inside with 2 I want Draper - skill and talent level at a high enough level to go the local kid

But I am fearful we will send our pick out for someone

Edited just to add: I am fearful the club may look at our list and feel we have enough quality midfielders and we need other areas

Last edited:
Actually even though it's a midfielder laden draft there's some KPP's that have elevated big time during the Nationals.
Whitlock brothers, Luke Trainor, Jonty Faull, Harry Armstrong, James Barrett, Tom Sims,Jobe Shannahan, Charlie Nicholls, Tallan Rosenzweig, Charlie West etc all would have decent draft chances.

And how about we draft the running defender/winger/midfielder Tobie Travalgia, reminds me so much of Will Day it's not funny.
We don’t really need young KPPs but there’s about 8 I’d considering take in the first round. Just a deep draft from about 5 onwards

Yeah Travaglia’s just about a complete package too, shame he couldn’t get mid minutes in the champs (unless I missed it?)

We don’t really need young KPPs but there’s about 8 I’d considering take in the first round. Just a deep draft from about 5 onwards

Yeah Travaglia’s just about a complete package too, shame he couldn’t get mid minutes in the champs (unless I missed it?)
I think we still have a lack of depth in our KPP:-

Walker - maybe 1 more year at best
Himmelberg - Probably gone at years end
Burgess - depth at best, handy at SANFL level, exposed at AFL level
T Murray - unproven at this stage
Keane - Potentially gone at years end
Borlase - good depth, and has shown good signs at AFL level.

Then we have our first choice players in TT, Fog in attack and Butts, Murray in defence.

It’s not our main priority, it has to be IMO mids, small forward, ruck, and running HB.

But we do need to look at some KPP players soon as well

I think we still have a lack of depth in our KPP:-

Walker - maybe 1 more year at best
Himmelberg - Probably gone at years end
Burgess - depth at best, handy at SANFL level, exposed at AFL level
T Murray - unproven at this stage
Keane - Potentially gone at years end
Borlase - good depth, and has shown good signs at AFL level.

Then we have our first choice players in TT, Fog in attack and Butts, Murray in defence.

It’s not our main priority, it has to be IMO mids, small forward, ruck, and running HB.

But we do need to look at some KPP players soon as well
Don’t think we’ll use enough picks to address that this year IMO, I’d go for a mid, small forward and Welsh

If we manage to use four picks then I can see us going for one, but we need to look for established talent, too (like Cumming and whoever else)

Don’t think we’ll use enough picks to address that this year IMO, I’d go for a mid, small forward and Welsh

If we manage to use four picks then I can see us going for one, but we need to look for established talent, too (like Cumming and whoever else)
Yeah I agree, I do hope that we can take a couple more picks this year across national and rookie drafts:-

National:-
2 mids
Welsh
Small forward

Rookie Draft:-
Project Ruck

Two senior SANFL games, two impressive performances and two times in the best for South Adelaide. Also two times with double digit tackles, showing his bravery and readiness to compete against hardened professionals. Sid's kicking was a little off and he resorted to quick dump kicks from stoppage at times, but in heavy conditions his hands were super clean and creative.

We are locked in to a pick between 4 and 6 (excluding Ashcroft and Lombard). This means that when it comes time for us to pick a player at least 4 of the following are on the board:

F O’Sullivan
J Smillie
J Smith
S Draper
T Travaglia
S Lalor
M Reid
C Moraes
X Lindsay

Personally, considering our current list profile, I don’t think Reid is as good a fit for us as most of the others there, as good a player as he is. Just lacks a bit of speed and I can’t see us taking another sub 185cm mid who lacks speed tbh. We need explosive power OR some bigger bodies, or both.

O’Sullivan and Smillie seemed inevitable top 3 picks a month or two ago, but with recent form, who knows. Maybe one could drop to us? Would be very interesting if that happened.

Draper is the player everyone assumes probably ends up on our list, but who knows, maybe he’s not the top guy in our talent order when it’s all said and done?

Physically, Lalor screams “pick me” for a squad like ours. I wonder how highly he’s rated in clubland?

Travaglia is a favourite of mine, but he probably feels more like the guy you trade up to pick 10ish to get, rather than pulling the trigger at pick 4-6.

Moraes and Lindsay are wildcards. To me, Moraes is the sort of player that might slip down to the late teens for a lot of clubs, but there may be a couple of clubs keen to pull the trigger inside the top 10. Similar to a Caleb Windsor last year.

Lindsay is one who is rising late - maybe it’s just the left footer factor, but I’m getting Errol Gulden vibes.

Like others, I think this is a hugely important draft for us, and that we should be looking to secure not one, but two players before matching a Welsh bid, and that neither of those two players should be KPPs, third talls or rucks.

This is obviously dependent on other clubs being willing to trade, but if we’re smart about this, we can make it happen.

Gold Coast currently hold picks 8ish (their own, probably changes when the ladder updates after this round) and 10 (tied to the Dogs finishing position). These are obviously subject to change but let’s be serious, these end up as two picks between 6 and 13 (before FS and academy bids).

There is no chance whatsoever that Gold Coast want to retain both of these. They may look to trade both out, OR they may try to trade UP to get ahead of a Lombard bid. We should absolutely be looking at them as a trade partner.

Brisbane currently have pick 11 (could drift as far as 15ish with their rise up the ladder), and will absolutely be looking to trade that out for Ashcroft points too.

Accumulating 2nd and 3rd rounders should be a priority for us. Trading out Keane (seems inevitable), and maybe even testing the market for the likes of Sholl, Berry, Schoenberg, McHenry (likely no suitors here) and Gollant (likely no suitors here), in addition to trading future picks for 2024 picks should enable us to do this. I don’t think there’ll be any compo for Himmelberg, but who knows, maybe the absolute bottom band gets triggered if GWS like him enough. I suppose it’s not impossible that we retain Keane and instead look to trade Butts? To me, you cannot play all four of Butts, Keane, Murray and Worrell in the same side, and Murray and Worrell are the clear standouts to keep, so one of the other two needs to be cashed in NOW.

Summary
Pick 4-6: any of J Smith, Draper, FOS, Smillie, Lalor

Pick 8-14 (acquired via trade with GC or Bris): any of Lalor, Travaglia, Lindsay or Moraes (assuming neither of J Smith or Draper are still on the board)

Match Welsh bid which likely comes in pick 18-30 range.

If we have a list spot left, take a high upside tall or genuine small forward late.

The above certainly doesn’t seem unachievable to me. Combine it with securing Isaac Cumming as a FA (just offer overs and make it happen), bringing in a ruck who is stuck behind a big name at another club, and perhaps a sneaky trade (L Parker or J Macrae as a cheap experienced option, or J Noble / A Davies as players undervalued at their current clubs), OR another FA in addition to Cumming (Perryman, Zurhaar, Ainsworth the standouts) and there’d be justifiable excitement about the prospects for 2025 and beyond.

If we sit on our hands and just take Draper or another early mid, match a Welsh bid, and don’t trade in an extra pick or grab a quality free agent, we’ll look back on this in a similar way to the completely botched 2018 offseason. Now is the time to be aggressive, and combine some future picks and mid-range talent on our list to acquire some genuine quality.

Hunter Clark played half back for for the Stingrays/VC both in his underage year and draft year but after the Nationals The Stingrays moved him into the middle and he took off from being a possible late 1st rounder as a half back to a top 10 midfielder in a matter of weeks. I witnessed several of those games live at Mars Stadium and he absolutely stood out. Bar for a wreyched run with injuries I think he would have been a topliner by now. Mind you he was pretty good against us on the weekend and since Rossy's utilised him more in the midfield.

Travaglia I think will be even better as a winger/midfielder IMO and it's likely he'll go through the midfield at the Pionerrs now the Nationals are completed...I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we used our 1st on him because sure as hell he won't be there at our 2nd.

We are locked in to a pick between 4 and 6 (excluding Ashcroft and Lombard). This means that when it comes time for us to pick a player at least 4 of the following are on the board:

F O’Sullivan
J Smillie
J Smith
S Draper
T Travaglia
S Lalor
M Reid
C Moraes
X Lindsay

Personally, considering our current list profile, I don’t think Reid is as good a fit for us as most of the others there, as good a player as he is. Just lacks a bit of speed and I can’t see us taking another sub 185cm mid who lacks speed tbh. We need explosive power OR some bigger bodies, or both.

O’Sullivan and Smillie seemed inevitable top 3 picks a month or two ago, but with recent form, who knows. Maybe one could drop to us? Would be very interesting if that happened.

Draper is the player everyone assumes probably ends up on our list, but who knows, maybe he’s not the top guy in our talent order when it’s all said and done?

Physically, Lalor screams “pick me” for a squad like ours. I wonder how highly he’s rated in clubland?

Travaglia is a favourite of mine, but he probably feels more like the guy you trade up to pick 10ish to get, rather than pulling the trigger at pick 4-6.

Moraes and Lindsay are wildcards. To me, Moraes is the sort of player that might slip down to the late teens for a lot of clubs, but there may be a couple of clubs keen to pull the trigger inside the top 10. Similar to a Caleb Windsor last year.

Lindsay is one who is rising late - maybe it’s just the left footer factor, but I’m getting Errol Gulden vibes.

Like others, I think this is a hugely important draft for us, and that we should be looking to secure not one, but two players before matching a Welsh bid, and that neither of those two players should be KPPs, third talls or rucks.

This is obviously dependent on other clubs being willing to trade, but if we’re smart about this, we can make it happen.

Gold Coast currently hold picks 8ish (their own, probably changes when the ladder updates after this round) and 10 (tied to the Dogs finishing position). These are obviously subject to change but let’s be serious, these end up as two picks between 6 and 13 (before FS and academy bids).

There is no chance whatsoever that Gold Coast want to retain both of these. They may look to trade both out, OR they may try to trade UP to get ahead of a Lombard bid. We should absolutely be looking at them as a trade partner.

Brisbane currently have pick 11 (could drift as far as 15ish with their rise up the ladder), and will absolutely be looking to trade that out for Ashcroft points too.

Accumulating 2nd and 3rd rounders should be a priority for us. Trading out Keane (seems inevitable), and maybe even testing the market for the likes of Sholl, Berry, Schoenberg, McHenry (likely no suitors here) and Gollant (likely no suitors here), in addition to trading future picks for 2024 picks should enable us to do this. I don’t think there’ll be any compo for Himmelberg, but who knows, maybe the absolute bottom band gets triggered if GWS like him enough. I suppose it’s not impossible that we retain Keane and instead look to trade Butts? To me, you cannot play all four of Butts, Keane, Murray and Worrell in the same side, and Murray and Worrell are the clear standouts to keep, so one of the other two needs to be cashed in NOW.

Summary

Pick 8-14 (acquired via trade with GC or Bris): any of Lalor, Travaglia, Lindsay or Moraes (assuming neither of J Smith or Draper are still on the board)

If we have a list spot left, take a high upside tall or genuine small forward late.

The above certainly doesn’t seem unachievable to me. Combine it with securing Isaac Cumming as a FA (just offer overs and make it happen), bringing in a ruck who is stuck behind a big name at another club, and perhaps a sneaky trade (L Parker or J Macrae as a cheap experienced option, or J Noble / A Davies as players undervalued at their current clubs), OR another FA in addition to Cumming (Perryman, Zurhaar, Ainsworth the standouts) and there’d be justifiable excitement about the prospects for 2025 and beyond.

If we sit on our hands and just take Draper or another early mid, match a Welsh bid, and don’t trade in an extra pick or grab a quality free agent, we’ll look back on this in a similar way to the completely botched 2018 offseason. Now is the time to be aggressive, and combine some future picks and mid-range talent on our list to acquire some genuine quality.

Great summary, and agree with all of this.

My guess is that Himmelberg will still go to GWS, and that we'll get a token pick for him, so as to not affect an UFA compensation if Cummings or Perryman walk out the door.

Also agree that this is draft to hit. Just remember that in the last super draft (2018) a few clubs (most notably Port Adelaide) made some tough list decisions to move up in the draft, or get some additional picks in.

Outside of Himmelberg and Keane, I really don't see much other trade bait, aside from maybe Berry & Gollant?

None of those besides Keane are realistically going to net us much, and anyone else you could surely file under 'delist'

Parnell & Sloane are looking like the only guaranteed list changes this year.

F O’Sullivan
J Smillie
J Smith
S Draper
T Travaglia
S Lalor
M Reid
C Moraes
X Lindsay

Summary

Just a comment, re GC looking to trade out, don't discount them trading in a quality player with those picks. They might be trying to tap up a particular player under contract at another club and need to pay up to get them. But with picks like that, they could aim high IF they were to look at going down that path

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back