Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just one of those drafts , there’s so many to talk about. There will be some very capable players taken from pick 30 onwards
Several local lads I'd like to rookie who I think have a heap of potential.

Rhys Unwin has hardly had a mention after being considered one of the better small forward prospects after his underage year but only just resumed for the Rebels before the Nationals, got a run in one game but obviously heavily managed minutes, he's quick, agile, great footy smarts and can sniff out a goal.

Enormous unit Flynn Penry ditto missed the 1st half of the season with injury , back dominating for Geelong Grammar just before the Nationals and got a run in one game again heavily managed minutes, dominated forthe Cobden Bombers the last couple of weeks in the strong Hampden Football League Seniors. (Sean Darcy clone)

Floyd Burmeister an athletic Ruck/Forward with a prodigious leap, a fair way off it physically but did OK at the Nationals for VC playing lead ruck giving away plenty of KG's, very very quick and agile for a tall gangly unit at this point in time.

And boy do we ever need a developing ruck!!!

Be interesting if Draper is even available at our pick.
Hopefully Saints don't get pick 5 for Battle.

He seems to be in that 6-8 range for Phantoms, as well as Twomey and RMC's Power Rankings.

I just think there's no way he doesn't move up the rankings closer to the draft if he keeps up his SANFL performances, but then again the likes of Smillie, O'Sullivan, Ashcroft, Smith, Trainor, Lalor, Lombard, all have a huge body of work behind them as well. As much as missing out on Draper would suck, it would mean one of these players likely falling to us, which would be a huge result as well.

$900k shouldn't be enough for band one.

They need to be in the top 44 contracts in the league to qualify, and there should be 40+ $1m contracts next year.
The McKay contract was less IIRC, I guess it’s possible if there’s a decent increase in high-value contracts this year

Of course he'd say that about the Crows No 1 target ;)
On Gettable it was Finn O'Sullivan and Jagga Smith before he mentioned Sid, Smillie, Reid etc.. ;)

Kinnear Beatson also said this is a deep deep draft, when club's were asked for their 50 names for the Draft Combine it was really difficult, thinks there will be quite a few good quality prospects taken late and in the rookie drafy and others in this draft that will get on an AFL list at a later date. Confirms what many of us have thought last year. Initially looked a bit short on for Talls but as the season's gone on that's looking OK as well. Rucks is a bit skinny but..

$900k shouldn't be enough for band one.

They need to be in the top 44 contracts in the league to qualify, and there should be 40+ $1m contracts next year.
Depends if the AFL want to use their secret formula to gift the Saints an extra pick in the top 10.

At best the pick should be end of first round, but there doesn't always seem to be logic behind some of the compensation given.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends if the AFL want to use their secret formula to gift the Saints an extra pick in the top 10.

At best the pick should be end of first round, but there doesn't always seem to be logic behind some of the compensation given.
This doesn't seem like a concern. Don't see the AFL worrying about St Kilda staying mid pack.

With all the talk about how strong this draft is, what do we currently have?
5, 29, 43, 61

To be honest, 29 might be before a Welsh bid at this point in time, but if we want to be safe, we should look to trade it up a bit (that is, if we aren't using it for, say, Clarry)

5, 29, 43, 61

To be honest, 29 might be before a Welsh bid at this point in time, but if we want to be safe, we should look to trade it up a bit (that is, if we aren't using it for, say, Clarry)
Even Pick 61 isn't a dud pick in this draft, and an ideal draft to grab a cheap developing ruck in the rookie draft like Flynn Penry, Floyd Burmeister, Lucas Impey, Aiden Riddle, maybe even overager Joe Pike? Penry could go in the main draft however with a good CTL finish with the Rebels and Geelong Grammar in the APS.

5, 29, 43, 61

Can’t see Welsh being bid on before 29

He’s a bit on the nose but that’s ok , he still has talent and we can get lots out of him if he works hard

Should get a ripper at 29 , a Day-Wicks , Angove or Alger would be nice

Or even a Zak Johnson or Angus Clarke

He’s a bit on the nose but that’s ok , he still has talent and we can get lots out of him if he works hard

Yeah I like Johnson, Alger and Day-Wicks

I’m a big fan of Josh Murphy (gonna claim him as my guy haha), a medium forward maybe isn’t a huge need for us (especially with Welsh coming in) but I think he’s got match-winner written all over him. Would snap him up in a heartbeat at 29

Do you think he’s suffering from playing seniors? If he was playing U18s his performances would be dominant and he’d be talked about more. It’s worked out well for us I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back