Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If you send a tagger to go stand an 18 year old, then you're a terrible coach.
No you're not Felix Kneipp is a very talented underager that would have learnt a lot following around Jagga Smith sticking to him like glue. It's wildcard round by the way. Sam Willatt is very highly regarded in the CTL after spendong time as an assistant at Coburg VFL...another that comes from the schoolteaching background like so many AFL coaches and assistants.

The role of a junior coach is not to showcase opposition players. It's to develop the skills and football smarts of, and showcase, THEIR kids.

I have and will continue to send kids to limit the effectiveness of the opposition’s best players. The "tagger" should also play their own game, and that's a skill to be learnt also.
No mistake that underager Felix Kneipp was recoognised by his coaches making the Cannons best yet Jagga Smith didn't make his Charger's coaches bests.

I do like a bit of anaysis, so quite liked the video below, but it does go for nearly 44 minutes, so there is a summary to pick 7:

1725086515070.png

I've highlighted my preferred traits, and I don't think versatility is worth as much given our needs. Using the marks (out of 5) above, my ranking would be FOS, Draper, Smith, Lalor, Reid.

Mutineer would you agree with the trait marks above, and how anyone else realistically in our mix might fare?

I do like a bit of anaysis, so quite liked the video below, but it does go for nearly 44 minutes, so there is a summary to pick 7:

View attachment 2097500

I've highlighted my preferred traits, and I don't think versatility is worth as much given our needs. Using the marks (out of 5) above, my ranking would be FOS, Draper, Smith, Lalor, Reid.

Mutineer would you agree with the trait marks above, and how anyone else realistically in our mix might fare?

I feel Richmond will go Smith, Norf will go Smillie (due to his size, can be versatile for them) and think its down to West Coast who either go for FOS or Lalor. Though they may go for the more outside player in Langford though as badly need some outside class too?

Don't think I like Dattoli as Alger, I can see Alger's absolute potential as a nippy forward, whereas I'm a bit unclear on where Dattoli's future lies

Maybe Dattoli takes a Dylan Moore trajectory? Neither super quick but seem to make it work in both the forward and middle areas of the ground
I reckon Dattoli is more a midfielder at next level than small forward

Like a Sam Berry with more smarts and skill

Appreciate the desire to see talent but this is the one failing of underage football in my opinion

Its soft and leads to mixed assessment of a players true strengths . This applies to forwards and defenders who get easy passage to marks etc
Any good player will overcome tagging eventually in their career

If looking at these kids as a recruiter , I’d look at Jagga smith and say he’s done so well he’s getting tagged so he’s already passed the test

Will learn how to deal with attention like every good player before him

No you're not Felix Kneipp is a very talented underager that would have learnt a lot following around Jagga Smith sticking to him like glue. It's wildcard round by the way. Sam Willatt is very highly regarded in the CTL after spendong time as an assistant at Coburg VFL...another that comes from the schoolteaching background like so many AFL coaches and assistants.
I was more referring to if Hinkley sent a tagger to a new draftee.

I don't love taggers in underage sport, but I guess it's not bad for someone like Jagga to start learning how to deal with it.

I was more referring to if Hinkley sent a tagger to a new draftee.

I don't love taggers in underage sport, but I guess it's not bad for someone like Jagga to start learning how to deal with it.
I think it’s good for him but at same time no need to judge him for how he went dealing with it for the first time

I think he’s the likely pick 1 this draft already

Don't think I like Dattoli as Alger, I can see Alger's absolute potential as a nippy forward, whereas I'm a bit unclear on where Dattoli's future lies

Maybe Dattoli takes a Dylan Moore trajectory? Neither super quick but seem to make it work in both the forward and middle areas of the ground
Alger has some serious class

I reckon Dattoli is more a midfielder at next level than small forward

Like a Sam Berry with more smarts and skill
There was a Sam Berry clone out there today, his names Cody Anderson same size, same build and goes just as hard. Any side looking for a tough inside mid could do worse than give him a shot late/rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s got a bit of the footy IQ of a Robbie Gray without the freakish agility I reckon
Agree that’s his style of play

Would just love to see him generate more impact per disposal in the middle, I reckon

I do like his forward craft quite a bit, but not as athletic as a few other forward prospects in the pool

View attachment 2097500

My rankings looking at it from a Crows perspective would be..
1. Sam Lalor
2. Finn O'Sullivan
3. Sid Draper

Sam Lalor repeat running is just wrong if the fact that he had hardly any pre-season rehabbing hip/groin issues and then foot issues during the season is factored in. In previous years he's also done virtually no pre-seasons because he was in the elite cricket pathway as well. He's been going at half rat power yet has still dominated games this season, same with FO'S Nothing wrong with his agility either if you watch him play.

We need explosiveness in our midfield mix more than anything.

Of those player comparisons that person has done a Petracca type is what we need i.e. a gamebreaker...though I think Jordan Gegoey personally.

Last edited:
1. Sam Lalor
2. Finn O'Sullivan
3. Sid Draper

Sam Lalor repeat running is just wrong if the fact that he had hardly any pre-season rehabbing hip/groin issues and then foot issues during the season is factored in. In previous years he's also done virtually no pre-seasons because he was in the elite cricket pathway as well. He's been going at half rat power yet has still dominated games this season, same with FO'S Nothing wrong with his agility either if you watch him play.

Of those player comparisons that person has dome a Petracca type is what we need i.e. a gamebreaker...though I think Jordan Gegoey personally.

Are his injuries a worry though with Lalor? We don't want another Pedlar.

Are his injuries a worry though with Lalor? We don't want another Pedlar.
What's been wrong with his form since resuming even though he's obviously not near peak fitness.

Draper has been in the same boat as has Finn O'Sullivan fitness wise, should we worry about their injuries as well?

Burgess is staying is he not?

If Draper is there at 4, we should take him. Low risk, high reward. Such a no brainer of a decision. The go home factor for vic kids will always be there.

Look at Rozee and JHF for Port. Or Thillthorpe for us.

Drafting guns from SA is fine. We shouldn't overlook local talent, nor diminish the connection to our roots.

What's been wrong with his form since resuming even though he's obviously not near peak fitness.

Draper has been in the same boat as has Finn O'Sullivan fitness wise, should we worry about their injuries as well?

Burgess is staying is he not?

Agree mate - not many look perfect but he just seems to have had lots of them. Foot injuries too always worry me the most.

Any of Lalor, Draper, FOS I'd be damn happy with.

If Draper is there at 4, we should take him. Low risk, high reward. Such a no brainer of a decision. The go home factor for vic kids will always be there.

Look at Rozee and JHF for Port. Or Thillthorpe for us.

Drafting guns from SA is fine. We shouldn't overlook local talent, nor diminish the connection to our roots.
Our recruiters have always said if it's lineball they'll take the SA lad if not talent wins out every time.

1. Sam Lalor
2. Finn O'Sullivan
3. Sid Draper

Of those player comparisons that person has dome a Petracca type is what we need i.e. a gamebreaker...though I think Jordan Gegoey personally.
yeah i like those and travaglia

prob have travaglia close to first then the others in your order

happy with any of those 4

If you send a tagger to go stand an 18 year old, then you're a terrible coach.
Tend to agree but Harley Reid had to learn pretty quickly, not sure if he was tagged during juniors but Ross Lyon completely shut him down with Marcus Windhager round 12.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back