Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd take Travaglia before FO'S and Draper or have I read it wrong?
Yep heā€™s my fav this draft

1. Travaglia
2. Lalor
3. Draper
4. FOS

I like all of them so happy with any and have them very even

Travaglia reminds me of Will Day , Will went later because people couldnā€™t see the projection and I feel the same way re Travaglia

1. Travaglia
2. Lalor
3. Draper
4. FOS

Travaglia reminds me of Will Day , Will went later because people couldnā€™t see the projection and I feel the same way re Travaglia
I was watching his highlights today and I also got Will Day vibes.

Lalor seems to have more versatility than draper. Lalor hits the scoreboard more and is better overhead. Both have good break away speed from the contest but I feel lalor is a better user of the ball.
We need someone who clears, then kicks and hits the target given our forward line. This is why I would prefer Lalor over Draper who is handball happy from what I've seen. I'd also be ok with Jagga. Cant comment on Travaglia.

1. Travaglia
2. Lalor
3. Draper
4. FOS

I think Iā€™d have it right now, for us, as
1: Lalor
2: Draper
3/4: Jagga/FOS (finding it hard to split)
5: Lindsay (even with the injury)
6: Travaglia
7: Smillie (reading concerns about attitude has dropped him down, for mine)

I like all of them a lot, but some certainly suit us better than others

After that, Allan would be pushing, but isnā€™t quite there. Reid and Langford a step below again

After that, Allan would be pushing, but isnā€™t quite there. Reid and Langford a step below again
I probably Langford 5th on my list then Joe Berry or Lindsay

Allan after that

Not keen on Smiliie or Reid for us

Lalor is my #1 pick for us this year. My only concern if that our recruiters will see him as another Pedlar-type deal. Powerful mid/forward, injuries in draft year, etc. Just hoping they see he's a way different talent

Who has quicker leg speed with ball in hand Lalor or Draper and who of these two bounces and carries ball better . This is what we need from our next mid and they must be at minimum an 8 out of 10 kick .
Travaglia if heā€™s like Will Day then Iā€™m sold .
If I had to pick of any player I could take right now in the AFL it would be Will Day . Absolute gun .

Who has quicker leg speed with ball in hand Lalor or Draper and who of these two bounces and carries ball better . This is what we need from our next mid and they must be at minimum an 8 out of 10 kick .
If I had to pick of any player I could take right now in the AFL it would be Will Day . Absolute gun .
Draper quicker, Lalor more of a power athlete. Lalor probably the better kick now, and in the long run. Draper IMO has the higher floor (think Treloar), Lalor the higher ceiling (think Petracca)

Travaliga very much in the mould of the most recent HBFs that have moved into the midfield (think Day, Young, Ed Richards etc). Willing to run and carry the ball in any scenario. Will start in the AFL off half back, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't move to the middle eventually

Lindsay will go under the radar from now on due to his PCL injury, but I still think he's close to the complete package. Skilled, athletic, already has a great endurance base, hard at it - huge fan of his

1. Travaglia
2. Lalor
3. Draper
4. FOS

If 3 of these were on the board at our pick I assume youā€™d be happy to trade down 2 places then?

If you think theyā€™re pretty even, whatā€™s the minimum youā€™d accept to do so and take whoever is left over on the list?

I think itā€™s good for him but at same time no need to judge him for how he went dealing with it for the first time

I think heā€™s the likely pick 1 this draft already
Yeah, if you're a club with a few picks - like Richmond - then taking someone with a high floor like Jagga makes sense. You've still got picks for more speculative players later.

If 3 of these were on the board at our pick I assume youā€™d be happy to trade down 2 places then?

If you think theyā€™re pretty even, whatā€™s the minimum youā€™d accept to do so and take whoever is left over on the list?
I would but the club wonā€™t this year and I get why

They wonā€™t want to take any risks or get too tricky with it

Theyā€™ll also have more info than me re interviews and psych testing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re ball carriers you would like Draper Oā€™Sullivan Travaglia and Lindsay

Draper by far the best constested ball winner of that lot but by far the worst kick also

Mutineer , Jeffcrowe

You would have seen more than most of these bigger boys come through from Ricciuoto to Lalor.
Always a worry the odd one has reached physical peak early and plateaus.
Jack Graham comes to mind where the narrative of some recruiters had him possibly stalling iirc.
How do you compare Lalor ?

Mutineer , Jeffcrowe

You would have seen more than most of these bigger boys come through from Ricciuoto to Lalor.
Jack Graham comes to mind where the narrative of some recruiters had him possibly stalling iirc.
He might be a big boy but nowhere near physical peak

Was an elite cricketer so had never done a pre season and this season heā€™s has injuries so heā€™s still never played with the benefit of a full pre season

Massive physical upside , I wouldnā€™t be worrying about the man child thing with him at all

Mutineer , Jeffcrowe

Far more athletic than Jack Graham, quicker than guys like Cripps and Bont and a better kick. I see his game as more similar to the DeGoey, Dusty, Petracca, Harley types, a real game breaker if all goes well with development. Will he be as good who knows?

I was more referring to if Hinkley sent a tagger to a new draftee.

I don't love taggers in underage sport, but I guess it's not bad for someone like Jagga to start learning how to deal with it.

Didn't Nix do that though? Why would it matter whether the tagee is a draftee or established player? You tag whoever you think you should to improve your chances of winning. And that's all that matters whether it's underage or AFL.

This draft is so strong and deep. I hope we have more than 1-2 picks but that doesnā€™t look likely at this stage.

Bicks Jeff Crowe and others who closely follow under 18 football can you answer me this question

Iā€™ve seen lots of Smillie edits but never ever really seen him get out of 2nd or at best third gear. In contrast Lalor who explodes his way from contests and looks to eat up the field with his power in this age group

Too tough on Smillie?

This draft is so strong and deep. I hope we have more than 1-2 picks but that doesnā€™t look likely at this stage.

Bicks Jeff Crowe and others who closely follow under 18 football can you answer me this question

Iā€™ve seen lots of Smillie edits but never ever really seen him get out of 2nd or at best third gear. In contrast Lalor who explodes his way from contests and looks to eat up the field with his power in this age group

Too tough on Smillie?
Not too tough from what I've seen.

Which is a fair bit of why I didn't think heā€™s the guy for us.

Stats from yesterday's CTL Metro teams Wildcard round....concentrating on players we may have interest in?

Cannons vs Chargers
Jagga Smith - 24 D's - 10K's - 14Hb's - 0Mk's - 2T's - 3i50's - 2r50's - 1 goal
Jasper Alger - 8D's - 6K's - 2Hb's - 4Mk's - 0T's - 0i50's - 0 r50's - 4.1
Tom Gross - 19D's - 10K's - 9Hb's - 2Mk's - 4T's - 5i50's - 0r50's
Pat Retschko - 22D's - 11K's - 11Hb's - 3 Mks - 0T's - 2i50's - 1r50 -

Of interest Jagga Smith's opponent underager Felix Kneip kept Jagga Smith relatively quiet whilst finding a bit of it himself
Felix Kneip - 17D's - 9K's - 8hb's - 4Mk's - 4T's - 2 i50's - 4r50's - 0.1

Too tough on Smillie?
Like both Jeff and I have said we don't have him in our top 5's, I really want some explosiveness and for mine he just doesn't have that, not much chop overhead for a big guy, not overly quick and kicking can be hit and miss for mine...though he did hit a beautiful precise daisy cutter yesterday that hit his player on the tit..

Too tough on Smillie?
I think Lalor has more natural midfield craft than Smillie and yes he does seem to have that burst out of congestion

Not sure Smillie ends up a midfielder , even though I think he will be a good player

Like both Jeff and I have said we don't have him in our top 5's, I really want some explosiveness and for mine he just doesn't have that, not much chop overhead for a big guy, not overly quick and kicking can be hit and miss for mine...though he did hit a beautiful precise daisy cutter yesterday that hit his player on the tit..
Wouldnā€™t surprise me if he ends up a defender

Saw him play some great games in defence as bottom ager

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back