Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not really.

Twomey's phantoms are based on call around to all the national recruiting managers. They aren't pulled from his backside.

They will generally give him a feel for each player and he slots them in based on an average consensus between them.

Adjusts from then on as teams final positions become more concrete.

Draper had a slow start to the year after injury and has started to hit form.

Lombard is too low in my book, but that simply might be a case of NRM's disregarding him momentarily because of his availability.

Lombard being behind 3-4 other mids in this pool by most recruiters is not mind melting.
I feel like Twomey only becomes really accurate closer to the draft when things are more settled and recruiters are more open to discuss rankings

What about Luke Urquhart (EF/WA)? Wasn't he in WA's best players every match? The AA is based on performance right......not a perception of kicking style or effectiveness?

Sid Draper a very token selection.

21 disposals, 1 tackle a game and didn't kick a goal.

Bo Allen another, he was impressive, but one of the starting mids? No.

The AA team is usually a bit of a joke, this is no exception.

Smillie deserved to miss, but he was arguably as good as Draper and Allen.

Moraes didn't have a ground breaking carnival but was better on paper than all 3 and I don't think he was in the best 10 mids.

They've shoehorned Murphy Reid onto a flank to fit some of these in. He was easily in the starting mid and in the Larke medal discussions.

The Allies got their typical over-quota so the narrative about the growth of the game can continue.

I feel like Twomey only becomes really accurate closer to the draft when things are more settled and recruiters are more open to discuss rankings
Last years July rankings and actual.

Its good for 6 months out. Top 10 really strong. Only one big miss - Windsor.

1 Reid 1
2 Walter 3
3 Watson 5
4 McKercher 2
5 Curtain 8
6 Duursma 4
7 Caddy 10
8 Read 9
9 Sanders 6
10 O'Sullivan 11
11 Rodgers 14
12 Wilson 18
13 Croft 15
14 Edwards 21
15 McCabe 19
16 Murphy 41
17 Roberts 54
18 Hardeman 23
19 DeMattia 25
20 Green 16

Last years July rankings and actual.

Its good for 6 months out. Top 10 really strong. Only one big miss - Windsor.

1 Reid 1
2 Walter 3
3 Watson 5
4 McKercher 2
5 Curtain 8
6 Duursma 4
7 Caddy 10
8 Read 9
9 Sanders 6
10 O'Sullivan 11
11 Rodgers 14
12 Wilson 18
13 Croft 15
14 Edwards 21
15 McCabe 19
16 Murphy 41
17 Roberts 54
18 Hardeman 23
19 DeMattia 25
20 Green 16
Dursma at 6?

July rankings and actual.

Again really good with his top 10 with 1 big miss - Humphrey.

1 - Ashcroft 2
2 - Wardlaw 4
3 - Sheezel 3
4 - Tsatas 5
5 - Clark 8
6 - McKenzie 7
7 - Cadman 1
8 - Busslinger 13
9 - Phillipou 10
10 - Gibney 9
11 - Jefferson 15
12 - Hewett 14
13 - Hollands 11
14 - George 26
15 - Fletcher 12
16 - Hustwaite 37
17 - Davey Jnr 45
18 - Hotton 35
19 - Weddle 18
20 - Barnett 23

SMITH TO GET VFL TASTE
TOP DRAFT prospect Jagga Smith will play for Richmond's VFL side over the next month after a stellar under-18 campaign for Vic Metro.

Smith was named skipper of the All-Australian team after captaining Vic Metro to its title win and has averaged 35 disposals for the Oakleigh Chargers this season.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

The 18-year-old finished year 12 at Scotch College last year so is able to play for the Tigers' VFL side for a block of time in coming weeks in a measure to help prepare him for the step up to AFL level.

He is expected to play with the Tigers' VFL side for three games over the next block and then return to the Chargers' side late in the year.

Smith is a local to the Tigers, playing at the Richmond Junior Football Club as a youngster, and clubs see him as a top-10 selection among an even top group. – Callum Twomey

July rankings and actual.

Again really good with his top 10 with 1 big miss - Humphrey.

1 - Ashcroft 2
2 - Wardlaw 4
3 - Sheezel 3
4 - Tsatas 5
5 - Clark 8
6 - McKenzie 7
7 - Cadman 1
8 - Busslinger 13
9 - Phillipou 10
10 - Gibney 9
11 - Jefferson 15
12 - Hewett 14
13 - Hollands 11
14 - George 26
15 - Fletcher 12
16 - Hustwaite 37
17 - Davey Jnr 45
18 - Hotton 35
19 - Weddle 18
20 - Barnett 23
Stand corrected, gets the top ten more in the ballpark than expected. Granted it's pretty random in terms of order. Perhaps in an even year such as this he might not be as accurate for the top ten?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stand corrected, gets the top ten more in the ballpark than expected. Granted it's pretty random in terms of order. Perhaps in an even year such as this he might not be as accurate for the top ten?

He gets his rankings from recruiters.

They will be very accurate.

If he has Langford at 4, it’s probably because a dozen recruiting managers have him in their top 3-5 and have told him as such.

Yes and he didn’t let him down, was good in each game he played.
Yeah, he was good. He could have been good without attending every centre bounce and giving the likes of Lalor, Lindsay, Hynes and even FOS more time in there.

Yeah, he was good. He could have been good without attending every centre bounce and giving the likes of Lalor, Lindsay, Hynes and even FOS more time in there.
Lalor and FOS were under done coming in and not surprisingly struggled with the pace of the game at times in the middle. Lindsay did great in the role he played and Lalor and Hynes are better forwards than Ivisic. Country were seconds away from being national champion winners, hard to be too critical of his tactics.

He gets his rankings from recruiters.

They will be very accurate.

If he has Langford at 4, it’s probably because a dozen recruiting managers have him in their top 3-5 and have told him as such.
Or also plausible that

Hes a 190cm midfield larke medalist who has a nice kick

Not all would be from recruiters

As i say its pretty easy for anyone with half a brain to put together a reasonable list based mainly on stats/achievments

And..... Twomey has more than half a brain

I’ve got players outside my 50 that I could argue are top 30 calibre in previous drafts, yeah I reckon this years is a deep one.

Yep, but some in the first round that probably belong in the 10-20 range in other drafts.

Feel like there's about 30 typical late first round types in this draft.

I’ve got players outside my 50 that I could argue are top 30 calibre in previous drafts, yeah I reckon this years is a deep one.
Recruiters are all saying as much. Two of my mates are playing for Sandy ATM and while one's a certainty to get drafted now as a KPP, the other is madly trying to learn a new role due to the huge depth of midfielders in this draft. Going to be some really good kids miss out.

Do you rate Adrian cole and Lennox Hofmann? I thought we might pick one up as a cat b rookie but the seem to have risen in the rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back