List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 13, 29, 36, 50, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

Could we take Berry at 13
Small forward some think best in this year's crop
And definitely fill a hole for us
I’d be surprised to see us taking another small forward……. We took 2 last draft … Anastasopoulos and Charleson, We traded for another one ….. Jack Richards and we have Rioli, Evans and McEntee ….. not to forget we have the opportunity to draft our NGA small forward/midfielder Benny Barrett.

I’d be surprised to see us taking another small forward……. We took 2 last draft … Anastasopoulos and Charleson, We traded for another one ….. Jack Richards and we have Rioli, Evans and McEntee ….. not to forget we have the opportunity to draft our NGA small forward/midfielder Benny Barrett.
Given that we will likely delist 2 or all 3 of Frankie Evans, Narkle and McEntee I think Berry would be a great get. Charleson also has not shown enough at this stage. Elite small forwards were the key to the last two premiers' success and apart from Rioli none of our small forwards are remotely at that level yet.

Given that we will likely delist 2 or all 3 of Frankie Evans, Narkle and McEntee I think Berry would be a great get. Charleson also has not shown enough at this stage. Elite small forwards were the key to the last two premiers' success and apart from Rioli none of our small forwards are remotely at that level yet.
I want at least two of our draft picks to be used on a mid and a small-mid forward who both kick goals. We need quality and depth in both positions. That doesn't include bringing in Barrett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While we have plenty of small forwards on our list already, there is not much quality in that area.

McEntee, Narkle, F.Evans are not AFL quality small forwards. DBJ did a great job last year but we shouldn’t plan for him to be a small forward- he’s just a utility we had to use in that role. He could be a very good sub moving forward as he can play anywhere.

Charleston and Anastasopolous showed glimpses but there is still a big question on whether they will make it.

The modern game needs quality small forwards who apply forward pressure AND kick goals- Lohmann, Ah Chee and Cameron won Brisbane the GF.

Therefore, our highest need is a quality small forward. Berry fits the bill and Hotton could play the role and graduate to the midfield in time- ala Rozee and Buttrrs. That is how we should use #13.

Unlikely to delist McEntee as he is under contract… as is Rioli, DBJ, Anastasopoulos and Charleson…… Narkle has been delisted, Evans could be delisted…… but we have already recruited Richards and highly likely to pick up Barrett. Remember Berry is only 18 and hasn’t yet played senior football, where Tommy A has had one year in the system and was close to selection a number of times last season. Bottom line is, I don’t think the Club would want 7 small forwards on their list at this time. I would think with the looming retirement of Boak next year , on top of losing Duursma and Amon in recent years we’re in need of a genuine quick classy wingman. A high quality outside mid …. my choice would be Taj Hotton…..

Last edited:
Genuinely think we are over indexed in a role we shouldn’t be ‘over invested’ in. Rioli, DBJ, SPP, Richards, Tommy A, Narkle, Evans, McIntee, Charleson, Benny Barrett, Mead, arguably Rozee. We may cut 3 or 4 of these lads, Narkle, Evans, McIntee and Charleson, but bar Barrett we shouldn’t be looking to pop any more on the list at present.

The same way we are over stocked for Half Backs, we seem to draft many of Flankers expecting them to become the next Nat Fyfe, but never ‘transition’ them into the midfield, or when we do - lose patience as we did with Burgman this year.

We need more midfielders, the ‘kids’ can do an apprenticeship as a Half Forward/Small Forward or Small Defender in the Twos, or seniors if they are up to it, similar to Mead this year. Possibly as Sinn was doing this year?

I would be cutting Narkle, F.Evans, McIntee and Clurey, grabbing best Midfielder at 13-16 hopefully Hotton, best talent at 29 maybe Urquhart/Jaques, Gerreyn at 36 and no bid on Barrett so, Hargrave/Bowman at 50. Hopefully rookie list Burgoyne and Monty may train on?

Ideally, Hotton, Urquhart, Gerreyn, Hargrave, Barrett Cat B and Burgoyne Rookie.

Could be he's just carrying too much weight?

May strip the weight off he finds pace and endurance.

Maybe he shouldn't be 100 kg.

95 kg you can find pace and endurance?

There's plenty to like.
Could be.

He's got a fiery streak too if you mess with him.

I think his body could really hulk up. He just has that type of frame.

I think if we pick him up it's primarily as a ruck but you never know.

Last edited:
Port Adelaide farewells Tom Clurey, Quinton Narkle, Francis Evans, Tom Scully and Kyle Marshall.

With only BZT, Ratogolea, Aliir (30 years old) and Walsh as KPD now it’s a good chance we take a KPD.

Hopefully we just go best available at 13 like Hotton and KPD like Whitlock at 29.

Genuinely think we are over indexed in a role we shouldn’t be ‘over invested’ in. Rioli, DBJ, SPP, Richards, Tommy A, Narkle, Evans, McIntee, Charleson, Benny Barrett, Mead, arguably Rozee. We may cut 3 or 4 of these lads, Narkle, Evans, McIntee and Charleson, but bar Barrett we shouldn’t be looking to pop any more on the list at present.

The same way we are over stocked for Half Backs, we seem to draft many of Flankers expecting them to become the next Nat Fyfe, but never ‘transition’ them into the midfield, or when we do - lose patience as we did with Burgman this year.

We need more midfielders, the ‘kids’ can do an apprenticeship as a Half Forward/Small Forward or Small Defender in the Twos, or seniors if they are up to it, similar to Mead this year. Possibly as Sinn was doing this year?

I would be cutting Narkle, F.Evans, McIntee and Clurey, grabbing best Midfielder at 13-16 hopefully Hotton, best talent at 29 maybe Urquhart/Jaques, Gerreyn at 36 and no bid on Barrett so, Hargrave/Bowman at 50. Hopefully rookie list Burgoyne and Monty may train on?

Ideally, Hotton, Urquhart, Gerreyn, Hargrave, Barrett Cat B and Burgoyne Rookie.
Quite similar to mine but Urquhart and Gerryne will be available at 36 and 50 (which will become 43). So I've gone Hotton, Hannaford or Dattoli, Urquhart, Gerryne, Barrett. If we don't get Hannaford and Dattoli I'd be open to trading out into next year and also grabbing pick 50 or something in this year's to take Murphy/Day-Wicks or Bowman

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 13, 29, 36, 50, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back