List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 13, 29, 36, 50, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hynes would definitely fit into that 3rd tall forward that we need.

One thing I will say and I was going to ask but watching his highlights, I've found Hynes to not be fast. He's seems average with speed and I've never seen him with breakaway speed.

Do you have any highlights that you know of where he showcases his speed because that is my one knock on him and if he has that, grabbing him with our 2nd pick would be good to go.

Exactly my point Hynes lacks speed Im glad someone else see's this. Getting him with Pick 13 (16) would be a waste.

Its harder to improve speed compared to endurance he'll be found out at AFL level.

Like you said getting him with a 2nd rounder I have no problems with but he will be gone most likely by our Pick 29.

Somewhere in our draft haul I want a Toby Greene type player. Of all the potential draftees, who resembles him the most?

Ned Atkinson probably the closest thing to Greene

Exactly my point Hynes lacks speed Im glad someone else see's this. Getting him with Pick 13 (16) would be a waste.

Its harder to improve speed compared to endurance he'll be found out at AFL level.

Like you said getting him with a 2nd rounder I have no problems with but he will be gone most likely by our Pick 29.
He doesn't run games at top speed, but that doesn't mean he lacks speed. He's got enough of it to make r at AFL level easily. If we pick up Allan or Berry ahead of Hynes it'd be a poor decision (although I rate Berry highly but don't think he's a need)

If you've watched full games of CTL and championships, you would've definitely seen he can create space between himself and his direct opponent on lead when he's playing forward.

Like I said, he doesn't have elite speed. But I don't think he'll be found out at all. Very much in the mould of De Goey and Stringer who I'd argue don't have elite speed either but are very effective players.

We can't trade future picks because we traded our 1st rounder.

And no way, I'm not burning a pick to move up and grab Bo Allan. Of the top 15 players, for me he's got the lowest ceiling but a high floor. He'll be a solid 200 gamer but not one with the point of difference we need
I would do whatever I could, within reason, to get into that top tier of talent this year.

I'm not as confident that a player will drop and I think at 16, we are just on the cusp or just outside of that elite talent. I don't think Hotton or Allan are dropping to us. I think it will be a guy like Trainor who is awesome and a need but with concussion concerns.

To call Bo Allan a solid 200 gamer before he has even set a foot in the AFL is absurd.
To call a 190cm midfielder and growing who powers out of stoppages not a point of difference that we need is absurd especially given the poor games of our smaller bodied midfielders in finals.

I guess we see Allan very differently.

I would do whatever I could, within reason, to get into that top tier of talent this year.

I'm not as confident that a player will drop and I think at 16, we are just on the cusp or just outside of that elite talent. I don't think Hotton or Allan are dropping to us. I think it will be a guy like Trainor who is awesome and a need but with concussion concerns.

To call Bo Allan a solid 200 gamer before he has even set a foot in the AFL is absurd.
To call a 190cm midfielder and growing who powers out of stoppages not a point of difference that we need is absurd especially given the poor games of our smaller bodied midfielders in finals.

I guess we see Allan very differently.
We basically can't trade any future picks so I don't see how we go up the boards from 13

Yeah we might be seeing Allan differently. I don't see the hype around him aside from the size. He tested well at the combine, has all the athletic traits you could ask for.

Would be interested to know what people think his strengths are. For me it's his defensive work and effort. Could be a very good contested ball winner. But his decision making and disposals are average at best which is why I don't see the hype in him.

That's the difference for me between Allan and Hynes. Allan can breakaway with speed but usually doesn't hit a target. Hynes can breakaway with his strength but usually hits a target or is involved in a score. Powering out of stoppages isn't that handy if you can't kick it well

I would say he doesn't have great speed like Rozee, Butters and JHF. But he's got enough speed and combined with his strength he's able to step through traffic and drive out of stoppages. I think pretty much any highlights package of Hynes on YouTube would show him breakaway from his opponent and creating some space. The other thing about Hynes is his disposal efficiency. Whenever I've watched him I've thought he makes clever decisions and usually finds the right target

I'd genuinely say, for our team, I'd rather have Hynes than Allan. Tbh I rate Hynes higher than Allan too. Think the fascination with Allan is his size and perhaps the fact that he's played at senior level and more AFL ready. But with pick 16, if we chose Hynes I wouldn't be upset at all. Is it a touch high? Yes, ideally we'd slide 2/3 spots back and take him while we upgrade our pick 29. There's 0% chance Hynes gets to our pick 29.

FWIW, Hynes didn't test at combine. I would've loved to see the numbers but if you take a look at his performances this year for Stingrays he's averaged 24 disposals 3 tackles and over 1 goal a game. The only thing I'd question about Hynes is endurance but he'll be in the mould of Dusty/De Goey/Stringer sort of player and I think we could really use one.
Yeah, Hynes is decent on the lead but is such a good mark and has great timing that it makes up for any issue with speed. I don't know if that supposedly speed will translate to AFL.

I've yet to see him be speedy or powerful consistently at stoppage or in tight, general play. I've never seen breakaway speed.

It's just a concern I have with him. I like the rest of him, goal kicking, skills, hardness, footy IQ, decision making.

Hynes over Allan. Big call but you've got to go with what you feel.

If we pick Hynes up and he turns into Dusty, De Goey or Stringer without the off field issues, that would be a huge win.

It wouldn't surprise me if Allan goes earlier than expected.

Yeah, Hynes is decent on the lead but is such a good mark and has great timing that it makes up for any issue with speed. I don't know if that supposedly speed will translate to AFL.

I've yet to see him be speedy or powerful consistently at stoppage or in tight, general play. I've never seen breakaway speed.

It's just a concern I have with him. I like the rest of him, goal kicking, skills, hardness, footy IQ, decision making.

Hynes over Allan. Big call but you've got to go with what you feel.

If we pick Hynes up and he turns into Dusty, De Goey or Stringer without the off field issues, that would be a huge win.

It wouldn't surprise me if Allan goes earlier than expected.
I remember in the 2017 draft that people had similar questions about SPP. The fact that he wasn't necessarily quick and was relying on his strength to get clear. But thats obviously extremely effective and a key skill to have now at AFL level.

All those things you mentioned about Hynes having, I'd say out of that list the only thing Alan has is hardness. Allan has speed and the defensive game while Hynes has the mid and forward craft to go with high disposal efficiency.

Recruiters are attracted to draftees that play Senior footy because they're safer picks. Hence why Draper and Allan will go higher than where I personally rate those guys.

I personally like Hamish Davis with our second pick potentially, good size can / does play midfield and can hit the scoreboard. Would be interested in others thoughts on him. Seemed to do well at the combine too.
I'm super high on him. I'd be stoked with picking him at 13/16 I like him so much. I wouldn't be surprised to see him climb rankings in the lead up to draft night.

Yeah, I definitely thought the same thing. If you take a look at his early form to the year and the Championships, he's not too bad but not a stand out at all but if you take a look at his most recent form, he improves out of sight and starts to look pretty darn good.

Allan plays midfield for all of the WAFL finals this year and looks strong, fast, powerful, two way and has a nice, long kick. At 190cm or thereabouts, he can actually power out of stoppage. That's the eye catching thing about Allan. He also uses that power to nail hard tackles and seems to enjoy it. He still needs midfield craft work as he use to play in the backline and I've yet to see him use his height to take some nice grabs, but yeah, check out his later form in WAFL and just before that in the Colts.

He would be an awesome replacement for Wines and would come into the side almost instantly. IMHO, he is worth burning a future 2nd rounder to move up in the draft. It would allow the Three Amigos legitimate time away from the centre to play forward or back and we would have our big bodied midfielder for the next ten years.

That breakaway speed from contests is what caught my eye in the highlights packages I watched. Reminded me of Paul Kelly (the Sydney player, not the singer ;))

Hynes has good breakaway speed, don't know where that's comes from. Endurance sure can be questioned but can say the same for many draftees. Berry isn't what we need imo. If Berry had any midfield skills then sure we could take him but Hynes is also a good overhead mark and has strength to break tackles which is a huge part of modern game. Berry is just adding to the plethora of small forwards we now have.

Adding Hynes gives us a lot of flexibility when it comes to how we use JHF and Rozee

Berry just doesn't move the needle for me at all for Port's pick.

He looks a Richmond pick to me and they could reach with all their early picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 13, 29, 36, 50, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back