List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 36, 54, 90, 108, 126)

Remove this Banner Ad

So Benny & Rome didn't make the cut. Shame.

Edit, can see Rome had a poor game for the U18 Eagles. Wonder if he's been out with injury lately, or was injured during the game. Hasn't been playing much lately, neither has Benny Barrett who doesn't appear to have played on the weekend.

Benny went around South reserves.

12 disposals 5 tackles. Kicked 1.1.

That's good news! Hopefully he gets a decent run at it at that level.

Benny worries me.

A month in reserves and I think he gets league games as a small forward. That's where he'll end up at AFL level. Don't want him doing enough to become a 2 round pick.

I expect he gets a run at the 18s championship next game. They do like to give as many of the kids a run as they can.

If he wasn’t a first round south Australian you wouldn’t be talking about him

Has been underwhelming and as mentioned above, we have pressing needs in other positions and versatility is over rated.
No, I liked him in his draft year.

I was super keen on him when we had our first rounder and then we hit the jackpot and got the Hornet with it and some extra stuff.

To me, there is nothing better than a highly rated draft pick with footballing skills that goes to an average team and underperforms. I like that a lot. If he's a Port supporter, that's great too. If he's homesick, awesome. If he has a brother who is tearing it up. I'm all for it.

Yes, we have other needs but our list is pretty good and generally I think that most of the needs of the 23 could come from the rest of the list itself. As one of the threads has stated, we've got the cattle, just not the cattle driver.

With terms of versatility, I think it is rated as is. When you don't have, it is pretty annoying.

No, I liked him in his draft year.

I was super keen on him when we had our first rounder and then we hit the jackpot and got the Hornet with it and some extra stuff.

To me, there is nothing better than a highly rated draft pick with footballing skills that goes to an average team and underperforms. I like that a lot. If he's a Port supporter, that's great too. If he's homesick, awesome. If he has a brother who is tearing it up. I'm all for it.

Yes, we have other needs but our list is pretty good and generally I think that most of the needs of the 23 could come from the rest of the list itself. As one of the threads has stated, we've got the cattle, just not the cattle driver.

With terms of versatility, I think it is rated as is. When you don't have, it is pretty annoying.

Mattaes will be fine. People need to remember how young he is, he was 4 days off being in last years draft. No shame in second year blues. Many players go through it

Mattaes will be fine. People need to remember how young he is, he was 4 days off being in last years draft. No shame in second year blues. Many players go through it
Yeah, I think you've got to give the young guys four years or so, maybe even six for talls.

People are very harsh on that aspect of the game. With Lachie Jones, I see the potential and the possibility but a lot of people want him as a young guy winning a Brownlow in his first year.

About a month ago, I had a poster IIRC wanting to delsit Mead and Jr Jr Burger. You've got to see what you have.

That's why I didn't mind the second game given to Dante. He tried his best but was outplayed and needs to bulk up. We don't have that conjecture for the year.

That's why I would love Tommy A to get a game because if he plays well, it puts the heat on some of our medium forwards which is always a good thing. If he has a bad game, he's had a taste and knows what to work on.

He might not be available to draft for another year, but Sharp has no problems matching it with the older kids on the biggest junior stage of all. Sharp split his time between half back and on ball. When played through the middle he was relentless at stoppage winning clearances driving the ball forward. He laid a number of strong tackles, some of which forced turnovers. His football IQ and work rate allows him to move to where he needs to be a step ahead of the play and his opponent.

Elsewhere, scouts continue to track Central Districts key forward Charlie Nicholls closely. The 197cm forward kicked 1.1 from nine disposals and seven marks (two contested) against the Allies as he continues to improve with every game and show off his athleticism.

Top-10 chance Sid Draper is also warming into his season after missing the first few months of his draft year with a shin stress fracture. Draper had 19 disposals against the Allies – importantly eight of them turned into SA scores – before starring in his return to SANFL Under 18s for South Adelaide, racking up 31 disposals and nine inside 50s against North Adelaide.

Scouts are expecting Draper – a powerful yet speedy 180cm midfielder-forward with a terrific workrate – to step up in the second half of the season. Last year, he played with maturity beyond his years as a 16-year-old – he turned 17 after SA’s campaign had finished – taking out his state’s MVP award.

While Draper is expected to be at the pointy end of this year’s draft, Central District’s Dyson Sharp looms as an early pick in the 2025 draft. Sharp, like Draper last year, starred as a bottom-ager for SA, racking up 25 disposals, 14 contested possessions, nine clearances, seven tackles and six inside 50s. A 188cm big-bodied midfielder, Sharp’s grunt work and strength at the contest is a delight.

And keep an eye on Evan Bradley – a 174cm goalkicking small forward with high-end speed and X-factor. After booting 10 goals from seven SANFL Under 18s games for North Adelaide, Bradley kicked 3.2 against the Allies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage I highly doubt Barrett’s a threat to go before 40. The question is going to be if he’s draftable.

There’s sub 178cm guys who light up their draft year and still don’t get drafted / get drafted to late, much less guys who aren’t even making their state side.

Corey durdin was fairly dominant pre-draft (dominant as an underager and played seniors if I can remember in his draft year) and went pick 37 as one example.

Last edited:
He's a spud anyway 😉

Yeah I wouldn't draft him

robert redford yes GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 36, 54, 90, 108, 126)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back