List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like a good chance all restrictions on NGA will be gone this year, so doesn't matter if top 20, top 40. It was pretty unlikely Benny Barrett would have gone top 40 anyway, but at least this would guarantee us access to him.

The first rounder we traded to Freo last year could well be within the vicinity of Sid Draper.
Time to move on from what could have been, we need free agents.

Where Adelaide is offering buckets of $dollara again, $850,000-a-season on a six-year deal for Perryman.
Hawthorn is also keen – but the Hawks’ offer is believed to be closer to the GWS deal.
Free agent Harry Perryman is keen to remain at Greater Western Sydney, but would have to sacrifice around $150,000 a season if he rebuffs Adelaide’s huge six-year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to move on from what could have been, we need free agents.

Where Adelaide is offering buckets of $dollara again, $850,000-a-season on a six-year deal for Perryman.
Hawthorn is also keen – but the Hawks’ offer is believed to be closer to the GWS deal.
Free agent Harry Perryman is keen to remain at Greater Western Sydney, but would have to sacrifice around $150,000 a season if he rebuffs Adelaide’s huge six-year deal.
I dunno about that. I am happy to push a touch of this one.

A first rounder or thereabouts can net you a star or a superstar so I think we should a good look at it and try not mess that kind of thing up.

If I'm looking at it correctly, give or take a bit, for that first rounder, we got Ratugolea and half of Soldo.

At the moment, the pick itself is around 10th and could easily drop to 6th, maybe just after the Cows and could have netted us a great midfielder like Sid Draper or Taj Hotton or a tall defender.

The AFL is set to backtrack its stance on clubs’ access to Next Generation Academy (NGA) graduates, with the move set to have numerous 2024 draft implications. In place of the current rule — which only permits clubs to match rival bids on NGA talent after pick 40 of the draft — teams are set to again be able to match bids at any point in proceedings. With the change to be effectual at this November’s national intake, a Victorian powerhouse is set to be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the alteration.

From its inception in 2017 to 2020, clubs could match NGA bids at any point in the draft — with equalisation concerns driving the league’s powerbrokers to make change. Ahead of the 2021 draft the AFL capped NGA bid-matching at pick 20, before further tightening restrictions prior to the 2022 intake by pushing the boundary out to No. 40. Last year provided perhaps the best example of the fine line between securing a promising prospect and agonisingly missing out.

Luamon Lual, who was linked to the Western Bulldogs via their Next Generation Academy, was swooped on by Essendon at pick 39 in the 2023 national draft — just two slots before the Dogs would have been able to match a rival bid on the rebounding defender. Now, with clubs seemingly disincentivised to develop NGA talent in fear of not getting priority access come draft-time — and with a growing concern about the steady decline in drafted Indigenous talent — the AFL has changed its tune once again.

However, this time around, clubs hoping to capitalise on the high-end NGA prospects they helped develop will be made to pay a more adequate draft price than in years past. Having met with club CEOs in Perth this week, the league is expected to make changes official in August.

The solution is just so obvious. It shouldn't be seen as a 'win' to have an NGA or FS prospect. You should have to pay a reasonable price for that player in all scenarios. The incentive for developing* those players is guaranteed first right of refusal.

* I use this term somewhat reluctantly because the clubs aren't exactly developing them in the way that Manchester United might develop literal kids in their academy squads, most of these clubs are simply identifying 16 year olds who have made rep teams and bringing them in for a few training sessions.

I really wanna try and land Tom Sims in this draft. 199cm key forward, big, strong, quick, powerful and most importantly, aggressive. Not timid at all. Can really launch at the ball too.

Aggressive big men are always welcome at Port.

It's always reassuring to see the AFL foresees and plans future changes with complete foresight, and does not resort to policy on the run.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

The solution is just so obvious. It shouldn't be seen as a 'win' to have an NGA or FS prospect. You should have to pay a reasonable price for that player in all scenarios. The incentive for developing* those players is guaranteed first right of refusal.

* I use this term somewhat reluctantly because the clubs aren't exactly developing them in the way that Manchester United might develop literal kids in their academy squads, most of these clubs are simply identifying 16 year olds who have made rep teams and bringing them in for a few training sessions.
How dare you suggest that African recruits like James Borlase wouldn't have been lost to our game without the tireless work of the Adelaide Football Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back