Preview 2024 AFL Season, Penultimate round: St. Kilda Saints v Lara Kitties, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 17th of August 7:30PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Heath still injured or is he in the exit lounge with Allison?
Talls take longer.
We’ll spend five years developing Heath only to delist him and start the loop again with a new young ruckman.

Dunno, if some of the big name Saints had pulled their collective fingers out on the day, we would have won a flag.

Yes I know, and I know we had some fresh air swings in the first quarter, but frankly;

Chapman should not have played, period. AFL was aware a ban was on the cards, that he underwent that procedure previously, and also shifted the GF date to make double sure.
They still state the margin as 12 points instead of 7 to show how little shit they give to voracity of results just to twist the knife continuously.

So since Cats benefited by both to the tune of 4 goals since Chapman kicked 3 and the goal ump has NFI what a post is; Geelong, minus the bias names I mentioned, can GAGF.

Also, yes, I fully understand this is bias and 14-2 I50's should have netted more than 2.2 in Q1, and we should have had more than 4.4 given Shneids, Mini and Milne all missed rather easy shots in Q2 then Geelong "kicked" 4, then in Q3 Rooey should have kicked 2 instead of missed 2.

Then of course that goddamn toe poke...

But IDGAF, GAGF Cats. Bring the marking pad minus padding so Danger can faceplant on it.

Hopefully Hugo gets a full game.

Between him and Dow for mine, just don't see them shifting anyone else really.

If Pou was ready they might have eased him back in that way, but he didn't get up so moot discussion really.

I was disappointed at Ross' response in his presser when he was asked if he is looking to experiment given we cannot make finals. Said they will pick the best side possible as a) it's their duty to members to try to win and b) he wants to avoid the media scrutiny that comes with losses.

It's a far cry from the process-driven scoreboard-ignoring bubble days. I'm not advocating tanking and would prefer to keep winning - but we still need to be looking for ways to improve long-term. We've blown a great opportunity over the past couple of weeks to give some of our young guys a taste of the level and see if they are up to it. I'm sure members would be forgiving if we saw a bunch of new players roll through and show us what they've got (McLennan in the Brisbane game for example).

Go back and look at some of the absolute rubbish that was written about Sam Mitchell up until a few months ago (and how quickly they all change their tune...). Good for him that he blocked out the noise and stuck to his guns. Concerning if we have a coach who readily admits that he cannot do the same and it impacts his decision-making. Unless more papers are already stamped than we realise...

I was disappointed at Ross' response in his presser when he was asked if he is looking to experiment given we cannot make finals. Said they will pick the best side possible as a) it's their duty to members to try to win and b) he wants to avoid the media scrutiny that comes with losses.

It's a far cry from the process-driven scoreboard-ignoring bubble days. I'm not advocating tanking and would prefer to keep winning - but we still need to be looking for ways to improve long-term. We've blown a great opportunity over the past couple of weeks to give some of our young guys a taste of the level and see if they are up to it. I'm sure members would be forgiving if we saw a bunch of new players roll through and show us what they've got (McLennan in the Brisbane game for example).

Go back and look at some of the absolute rubbish that was written about Sam Mitchell up until a few months ago (and how quickly they all change their tune...). Good for him that he blocked out the noise and stuck to his guns. Concerning if we have a coach who readily admits that he cannot do the same and it impacts his decision-making. Unless more papers are already stamped than we realise...
There's a LOT out of contract, with very little noise or news of players wanting to, or having signed on.
From the top of my head.
Butler (has either signed, or will)
Sharman (as above)
Hill (3 years)
I vaguely remember hearing Wood will get another contract.
After that.
Crickets.

As for Ross, he's babbling, trying to say the right things to the majority...and make the media jackals stop pressing and questioning. Personally I wouldn't put much pass on his - or any coaches - media persona.
It's just politics.

Totally agree, I didnt know RTB was so reactive to media scrutiny. Just for the development of the kids like Keeler, Heath & Hotton they should have at least got a debut game. Every other player on the list has played this year eg Collard when he didnt deserve a game. Why not try the other kids it doesnt compute. Unless the club assess the draft group very different to everyone else, they had nothing to gain by winning games since they couldnt play finals.

Rewarding and developing your young players is not tanking.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does RTB know that the members actually DONT WANT to win though…..🙄

And then, to add insult to injury, on First Crack tonight, Joey says we’re a good chance…have beaten the Cats the last two times at Marvel.

Wouldn’t that be sooooo St. Kilda to beat Cats and then also an injury-ravaged Blues when we really don’t want to? 😝

Last edited:
Wouldn’t that be sooooo St. Kilda to beat Cats and then also an injury-ravaged Blues when we replay don’t want to? 😝
The "so St Kilda" trope is so tiresome. Unfortunate things happen to everyone, not everyone tries to make it part of their identity. Oozes loser mentality but I guess that's in keeping with the rest of your post

When you've followed the Saints as long as I have you take every win you can get. If you lose interest half way through a season, as it seems many on here did, then I advise you to find another past time like watching break dancing Olympic highlights.

If I'd abandoned passion for seeing a Saint's victory once a season was shot I'd have only been to about 50 games instead of 500.

For what it's worth I want us to beat the Cats and the Blues, especially the rednecks from down Banjo Park.

If it means we end up with picks 6/7 instead of 4/5 ((assuming Battle is gone) I couldn't care less. We might actually land someone unexpectedly if we actually show some promise.

Does anyone think Battle would be considering going to the Hawks if they were still cannon fodder like they looked in the first 5 games? Money doesn't always talk.

Great post. Nobody is going to dramatically change there opinion of the Saints over the next 2 weeks.

We don't want to win ffs. Members are smart enough to understand coping a couple of losses the next 2 weeks is in our best interest.

I am not saying don't try, but do we need to pick best available? That's just dumb.

If I were Hugo Garcia I'd be asking for a trade at seasons end if 34 touches, 12 tackles & 3 goals aren't rewarded at the selection table this week. Absurd that he keeps putting up these kind of numbers week in week out playing in a feast or famine position even in the VFL and is still ignored.
Hugo wouldn't be the only one with one eye on playing somewhere else. Who the blazes would like to be drafted to a Ross Lyon coached team. From the outside looking in, like I am, Lyon looks like he breaks the spirit of young players. Even without Lyon as coach no one want to be picked up by the Saints

The "so St Kilda" trope is so tiresome. Unfortunate things happen to everyone, not everyone tries to make it part of their identity. Oozes loser mentality but I guess that's in keeping with the rest of your post
Sense of humour, dude…🙄
It IS part of our mentality for good reason - but most of us laugh about it.
Jeez.

Great post. Nobody is going to dramatically change there opinion of the Saints over the next 2 weeks.

We don't want to win ffs. Members are smart enough to understand coping a couple of losses the next 2 weeks is in our best interest.

I am not saying don't try, but do we need to pick best available? That's just dumb.
I reckon the only guy worth bringing in for a game is Heath. Hotton, Keeler etc. are fine playing out the year in Sandringham. They'll get smashed by the Geelong and Carlton players anyway, so let them build. Heath though is probably worth a look. Stick him in the forward line and let him mark, compete and ruck.
The kids -if still on the list- can get their shit together over preseason and push for selection next year.

Hugo wouldn't be the only one with one eye on playing somewhere else. Who the blazes would like to be drafted to a Ross Lyon coached team. From the outside looking in, like I am, Lyon looks like he breaks the spirit of young players. Even without Lyon as coach no one want to be picked up by the Saints
I remember Shane Warne RIP showing his relief when a new attacking coach (Watters) was taking over in 2012, and I think there was a general feeling that the shackles were finally being loosened and players were now going to be able to shine.
We know how that went. That is not to say that that means doobly duckpooh now, but there is a grass is greener thing in a low funk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back