Preview 2024 AFL Season, Penultimate round: St. Kilda Saints v Lara Kitties, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 17th of August 7:30PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "so St Kilda" trope is so tiresome. Unfortunate things happen to everyone, not everyone tries to make it part of their identity. Oozes loser mentality but I guess that's in keeping with the rest of your post
What makes you such a winner noddy? Thinking some kind of winner mentality is going to will the team a flag?
Here's a hint champ, not a flag in 58 years, worst record in the comp, and you think supporters should have a winning mentality?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was disappointed at Ross' response in his presser when he was asked if he is looking to experiment given we cannot make finals. Said they will pick the best side possible as a) it's their duty to members to try to win and b) he wants to avoid the media scrutiny that comes with losses.

It's a far cry from the process-driven scoreboard-ignoring bubble days. I'm not advocating tanking and would prefer to keep winning - but we still need to be looking for ways to improve long-term. We've blown a great opportunity over the past couple of weeks to give some of our young guys a taste of the level and see if they are up to it. I'm sure members would be forgiving if we saw a bunch of new players roll through and show us what they've got (McLennan in the Brisbane game for example).

Go back and look at some of the absolute rubbish that was written about Sam Mitchell up until a few months ago (and how quickly they all change their tune...). Good for him that he blocked out the noise and stuck to his guns. Concerning if we have a coach who readily admits that he cannot do the same and it impacts his decision-making. Unless more papers are already stamped than we realise...
If only Ross would debut some players this season.

FMD.

Sharman (as above)

I spoke with Sharman for about 10 minutes on Weds. He is in a very happy place at present. He is really enjoying his football at present.

I even mentioned to him how in previous seasons he would do repeat leads, but would often be ignored , whereas now his leads are honoured. He had other team mates about, but his smile indicated he agreed with my assessment.

Last edited:
I spoke with Sharman for about 10 minutes on Weds. He is in a very happy place at present. He is really enjoying his football at present.
Good to hear, I think you can see it in his footy too. His energy and confidence since the Essendon game seems to have skyrocketed, almost as if a penny has dropped. Looking forward to seeing what he brings next year, should be a walk-up start in the 1s and could make us a whole lot better. Seems to be a big game / big moment player too.

I like that we are still competing and playing a winning brand of footy without throwing it in and focusing on next year. It's almost a perfect position for us to do it where we have a gap on the very bottom teams and a gap on the finals contenders, so we can work on a winning brand whilst not damaging our draft hand. Winning is fun, beating Sydney was fun and beating the Dons was even more fun, it's why we watch and support.

If we can spoil the Cats and the Blues in the last 2 weeks and keep working on our gameplan, that is a succcess for me. We weren't that far off this year despite our ladder position.

I even mentioned to him how in previous seasons he would do repeat leads, but would often bee ignored , whereas now his leads are honoured. He had other team mates about, but his smile indicated he agreed with my assessment.
👍 Great to hear. I rate Sharman, his forward craft, ability to share the load, and his general work rate.

It's pretty wild that we could finish fourth last with nine wins. Nine wins is not a terrible season.

Right now the higher picks are appealing but often in hindsight it's meaningless. Look at where we got Pou.

All out for the wins. Gives us something to build on.

Not gonna lie I was hoping for a bit more Managed slash subtle tanking on the team sheet, however as was mentioned, who would you actually be bringing in? Garcia rightly earned his place, guys like Hastie and Arie have had a taste. Bonner? No. Irish? Not ready. Hotton, Allison? You'd imagine they're closer to being delisted than selected.

Realistically it was what, Heath or Keeler? My guess Keeler wouldn't be ready and who are you dropping for Heath and how is it effecting team balance? In fact who are you dropping for any of the current players in the 2's and for what reason? What message is that going to send to the other players about selection integrity?

I'd say our injuries most certainly came at the worst possible time of the season. A lot of kids have already been given a taste. Perhaps the first half of the year was the forced tanking and the true form is now being revealed so things are levelling up. Yes tongue-in-cheek.

In terms of Ross' presser (haven't watched btw) I'd imagine his answer was a better alternative than the truth -- the one guy at Sandy who is currently good enough for a spot got it.

Also as a coach he's pretty much duty bound to reward this current line-up who have been going hard and playing pretty well really, Lions/Crows games aside. Don't think he'd be doing his relationships any favours dropping blokes who are in-form and want to play out the year for their own sakes and just the fact they're competitive people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's our mid season mid guy Maxy Hall going in the VFL?
Had a back injury that held him back for a couple of weeks, but had a promising game on the weekend. Picked up 17 or so disposals and a couple of behinds. Could have been a good day if he finished his chances.

He definitely has AFL traits and the quality to make it at the level. Just needs some time.

I remember Shane Warne RIP showing his relief when a new attacking coach (Watters) was taking over in 2012, and I think there was a general feeling that the shackles were finally being loosened and players were now going to be able to shine.
We know how that went. That is not to say that that means doobly duckpooh now, but there is a grass is greener thing in a low funk.
You want to see how not to succeed? just look at how this club has gone about things in its history. The Watters saga was a good example. He watched us bomb out on GF day and knew what changes were needed. He wanted to rebuild, demanded better leadership and part of that process was to trade off a couple of big name Saints to build a better team, and instead got white-anted by a few sooky senior players still crying over Lyon leaving, plus lack of support from a weak administration (tail wagging the dog)- same old scenario I've seen at the club for decades. Dragging Lyon out of retirement to weave some kind of magic wand and spread fairy dust is "so St Kilda"
This has been yet another wasted season where a few ok performances when it's practically all over, seems to keep the faithful happy, as has been the case for years. Grumble grumble etc etc

I think we should play our best side and try to win period.

Winning helps everyone. What can be more demotivating than to know it is just a development game and that each player is in a position knowing that 100% is not being given by the club top to bottom to create success.

It also wastes a great chance for some players to really lift and shine before season ends. Butler and Higgo for example, were pretty lame last week. What hope have they got when the team is compromised down the ground for the sake of experimenting. They’ll switch off, and as I said, ‘Bali Brain’ will take-over. And why wouldn’t it? Same for others. Sharman and Caminiti need to finish with a bang, not a whimper. But if our halfback line is soft, it is not going to happen. More likely, they’ll be rushed down back in the third to try and stem the bleeding. I agree with the sentiment of Ross’s pre-game presser. Although I am not sure I trust that it is a real POV from within the coaches box.

I was disappointed at Ross' response in his presser when he was asked if he is looking to experiment given we cannot make finals. Said they will pick the best side possible as a) it's their duty to members to try to win and b) he wants to avoid the media scrutiny that comes with losses.

It's a far cry from the process-driven scoreboard-ignoring bubble days. I'm not advocating tanking and would prefer to keep winning - but we still need to be looking for ways to improve long-term. We've blown a great opportunity over the past couple of weeks to give some of our young guys a taste of the level and see if they are up to it. I'm sure members would be forgiving if we saw a bunch of new players roll through and show us what they've got (McLennan in the Brisbane game for example).

Go back and look at some of the absolute rubbish that was written about Sam Mitchell up until a few months ago (and how quickly they all change their tune...). Good for him that he blocked out the noise and stuck to his guns. Concerning if we have a coach who readily admits that he cannot do the same and it impacts his decision-making. Unless more papers are already stamped than we realise...
He can't really come out and say we are going to tank.

Said all the right things I thought including having an eye on next year.

I would have liked to see a few more guys with niggles 'managed' and few more young - or really old - guys getting a run the last 2 weeks - for me that would have been a good outcome to go with what he said

.... just look at how this club has gone about things in its history. ..Watters...good example. He ...knew what changes were needed...to rebuild...better leadership .......part of that..was to trade off a couple of big name Saints...

instead got white-anted by a few sooky senior players still crying over Lyon leaving,
(pls excuse my editing)

Do you think Watters's plans were sound?

Lyon said it was an 'end of an era' the final loss. (May well have been hedging for an excuse for what was gonna happen)

But how was Watters white-anted?
Sooky players? Players were sooking because Lyon didn't get a longer deal?
Watters sacking - why did it happen? And Richo, well, he did have a patch when things looked on the up in patches of '16 and '17. Were the same white anters at work there too?
Just curious.

yep fair enough, was unnecessary. not my style but i get it. honoured to be champ'd and rookie'd on the back of it. still don't want us to lose tho
Me neither, really.
Much more fun to win.
I mean we all want to win and maybe a spot or two either way won’t matter, but just desperate to get some very good picks.

Me neither, really.
Much more fun to win.
I mean we all want to win and maybe a spot or two either way won’t matter, but just desperate to get some very good picks.
I don't want to win either game.
Go Cats
Go Blues.
Usually I say win every game possible but to go from 4 and 5 to 7 and 8 which will be at least 8 and 9 after Ashcroft would be an absolute disaster.
Fancy losing Battle for pick 9 FFS

I don't want to win either game.
Go Cats
Go Blues.
Usually I say win every game possible but to go from 4 and 5 to 7 and 8 which will be at least 8 and 9 after Ashcroft would be an absolute disaster.
Fancy losing Battle for pick 9 FFS

I’m fine with us losing to the Cats but if we are the deciding factor in the Blues making finals then I want us to absolutely pulverise them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back