Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 19: St.Kilda vs WCE, Sat 20th of July 1:45pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Membrey can be trusted to perform at that level where as Allison hasn’t & still needs to be more consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Really?
What level can Membrey be trusted to perform at, in the last two seasons?

I could say that based on my (biased no doubt) observations;

1) 1 or 2 marks and a free in forward 50. 1 goal, I easy miss, 1 splayed.
2) 1 or 2 nice taps at ground llevel, (scoops, spade-like)..
3) 2 nice marks in defence, where he helps either with our clearance from a behind kick in, or occasional intercepts.
4) 1 or 2 handballs or short passes. (usually good)

And that is a fair day.

Really?
What level can Membrey be trusted to perform at, in the last two seasons?

I could say that based on my (biased no doubt) observations;

1) 1 or 2 marks and a free in forward 50. 1 goal, I easy miss, 1 splayed.
2) 1 or 2 nice taps at ground llevel, (scoops, spade-like)..
3) 2 nice marks in defence, where he helps either with our clearance from a behind kick in, or occasional intercepts.
4) 1 or 2 handballs or short passes. (usually good)

And that is a fair day.
He works off the ball & drags his man away from the forward which should allow Higgo,Butts & Sharman to prosper, it's called sacrifising your game for the good of the side as was the case against Sydney.

He works off the ball & drags his man away from the forward which should allow Higgo,Butts & Sharman to prosper, it's called sacrifising your game for the good of the side as was the case against Sydney.
Sacrificing your game?
What game?

(Or is it Cordy MkII now?)

Does that include dropping chest marks to give teammates an opportunity to crumb the ball maybe?

Aside from Higgins he is the best at leading in the forward line in the team.

And each time he has kicked 5 goals , 2 -3 of them have been joe the goose type goals
Yeah Joe the goose goals alongside the goals from leading, contested marks, snaps not to mention the goal assists, right and left foot kicking skills.

Inconsistent as hell but you have to say - at least he actually looks and moves like an AFL footballer.

Yeah Joe the goose goals alongside the goals from leading, contested marks, snaps not to mention the goal assists, right and left foot kicking skills.

Inconsistent as hell but you have to say - at least he actually looks and moves like an AFL footballer.

I think he's been pretty consistent in not getting near it actually.
Goalless in 26 of his 40 games.
1 goal in another 9 of them.
2 goals in another 3, then the 2 bags.

In a lower division. And in the game against the tiges, there was some lovely disposal that found him in space. No way he's getting either lovely disposal or space at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bit we know less about is how Allison goes at training. Particularly lately. The track watchers may have a view. It seems to me reading reports over time is that he looks great in flashes, then disappears. He clearly has some attributes but doesn’t show them enough. Injuries at vital times haven’t helped.

I am curious about how he’d go. But is that curiosity enough to get him a game? We definitely need another target forward. Is Heath a chance?

Another interesting week of selections.

Allison is an elite athlete for his size and very skillful but he just has no AFL craft or footy IQ. Doesn't understand positioning at all, so if our forward coaches can't even teach Max King how to lead properly, he's even more finished. All of his goals are very lucky goals - bad opposition, counter attacks that result in gimme goals, silly free kicks - I've never seen him take a contested mark before

However

You can tell I hate Allison as a player, but I am still willing to play him over Membrey for one week. Membrey is way past his best - a lot of people saying he's still a capable AFL player are living in the past. He is fumbly and can't take simple chest marks these days. His weapon was his two foot jump - name one instance this year where we've seen that? He is gone at season's end so why persist with him in a young team that's in the bottom 4 and no chance of finals? There's no benefit to playing Membrey over Allison. Conversely, Allison over Membrey at least explores our list before we make a final decision. Who knows, maybe he's one of those that performs better AFL level than VFL.

One thing is for sure, Allison is more likely to be in our next premiership team than Membrey

I would say he is very consistent , he consistently gets around 7-10 disposals per game .

That's the best game he's (Allison) played by a long way, he actually moved and attacked the ball with some purpose. If he could do that each week he might save his AFL career. It would be worth giving him a couple of games to see what he can do at the next level. Even if it is to raise some trade interest, because he will be delisted at years otherwise. If we could get a 3rd round for him it would be better than nothing...

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 19: St.Kilda vs WCE, Sat 20th of July 1:45pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back