Injury 2024 Crows Injury Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe the amount of people who are fine to see Keane go. At some point we've gotta start holding onto good KPDs long term and he's still got a lot of improvement left in him. He offers a point of difference with ball in hand as well.
The problem is that we already have several good ones. Murray and Worrell are both ahead of him. Butts is there as well. You can't really play four KPDs long-term.

Ideally we play three and keep one as depth, but are either of Keane or Butts willing to play SANFL for the rest of their careers?

Can't believe the amount of people who are fine to see Keane go. At some point we've gotta start holding onto good KPDs long term and he's still got a lot of improvement left in him. He offers a point of difference with ball in hand as well.
It’s probably more about accepting that this seems inevitable, and how can we get some value out of him.

Ideally we keep him, as he’s played good footy all year (bar a couple of games), but he’s probably competing with Worrell as that 3rd tall, and Worrell is better in the role.

IMO he’s behind Murray and Butts for the 2 KPD.

The problem is that we already have several good ones. Murray and Worrell are both ahead of him. Butts is there as well. You can't really play four KPDs long-term.

Ideally we play three and keep one as depth, but are either of Keane or Butts willing to play SANFL for the rest of their careers?
The odds are 1 will be injured... & we can look to manage them during the year.

Also, gives us an option of trying either Murray or Worrell up forward if needed.

We need to start thinking more of having 30 decent AFL players to be successful.

Last edited:
The odds are 1 will be injured... & we can look to manage them during the year.

Also, gives us an option of trying either Murray or Worrell up forward if needed.

We need to start thinking more of having 20 decent AFL players to be successful.
Of course. Best option for us is to have one of Butts or Keane on the shelf ready to go if we need them. But are they willing to do that? Strachan works as backup because nobody else wants him and he's cheap. If we have to pay a premium to keep Keane, then we need to play him.

My gut feel tells me Butts is more likely to stay as backup than Keane is. But any team looking for a cheap role player KPD will be courting him if we keep him in the SANFL.

If one of the four KPDs shows any promise up forward, I would use them there. Let Walker retire gracefully, and use them up forward until Welsh or some other KPF is ready to go.

I don't agree that Keane is that far behind Murray and Worrell. If he is it's only marginal and he'll only get better with experience. He provides more than Butts imo. I would play Murray, Keane and Worrell. Butts has too many limitations whey he gets the ball. It's clear that we need more than 3 decent tall KPDs on the list anyway through injury.

I don't see us getting great value for Keane, so I'd prefer to keep him.

Seeya Butts

I don't agree that Keane is that far behind Murray and Worrell. If he is it's only marginal and he'll only get better with experience. He provides more than Butts imo. I would play Murray, Keane and Worrell. Butts has too many limitations whey he gets the ball. It's clear that we need more than 3 decent tall KPDs on the list anyway through injury.

The Keane conundrum is a less obvious Doedee situation.

He is not as good as a defender 1 on 1 vs big guys like Butts. He is not as good offensively and as a 3rd tall as Worrell.

He is a decent backup to both.

I don't see us getting great value for Keane, so I'd prefer to keep him.

Absolutely. With Keane contracted to end of 2025 and Butts till end of 2026 - ideally we keep em both for 2025 and see how it shakes out.

Of course. Best option for us is to have one of Butts or Keane on the shelf ready to go if we need them. But are they willing to do that? Strachan works as backup because nobody else wants him and he's cheap. If we have to pay a premium to keep Keane, then we need to play him.

My gut feel tells me Butts is more likely to stay as backup than Keane is. But any team looking for a cheap role player KPD will be courting him if we keep him in the SANFL.

If one of the four KPDs shows any promise up forward, I would use them there. Let Walker retire gracefully, and use them up forward until Welsh or some other KPF is ready to go.
Worrell played some games forward for Vic metro in his u18 year but we've always seen him as a defender. I'd give him a couple of games forward when he's back to see if he gels with Fog and TT, we may just end up solving some of our biggest issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is not as good as a defender 1 on 1 vs big guys like Butts. He is not as good offensively and as a 3rd tall as Worrell.

Absolutely. With Keane contracted to end of 2025 and Butts till end of 2026 - ideally we keep em both for 2025 and see how it shakes out.
Correct, if we need to lockdown on 2 big forwards we need both Butts & Murray in thr side.

Worrell is currently the better 3rd tall ahead of Keane... but Keane is still learning & shown he has a natural interceptor.

If Keane can improve his body work 1 on 1 too, he would displace Butts against all opponents.

It's unusual all 4 are available, so we must keep them all & Borlase as backup too.

If all 4 are available, it allows us to try Worrell in other roles, including as a utility.

Also what would Murray or Keane be like up forward?

We need to develop depth of around 30 players & we are hardly in a position to trade out depth, unless we have players coming back in.

Extend both Keane and Butts so Hamish doesn't draft another KPD with a top draft pick 🤣

I don't think anyone is happy about it - more resigned to the reality, and making plans accordingly.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think anyone is happy about it - more resigned to the reality, and making plans accordingly.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure if you saw the Ch7 clips from last night doing the rounds on the Keane thread, but it looks like his preference is to stay. Certainly a pleasant surprise for people like me who'd essentially resigned themselves to losing him.

Last edited:
Not sure if you saw the Ch7 clips from last night doing the rounds on the Keane thread, but it looks like his preference to stay. Certainly a pleasant surprise for people like me who'd essentially resigned themselves to losing him.
In the SEN interview he did he spent more of the interview talking about playing with Muzz & Butts and wanting to build a partnership with them

In the SEN interview he did he spent more of the interview talking about playing with Muzz & Butts and wanting to build a partnership with them

That's true, although it was slightly lost in the mealy-mouthed response he gave about his contractual situation.

Is Worrell better than Keane offensively? I don't feel as if I notice Worrell much offensively, Keane I tend to notice attacking more with ball in hand. Perhaps I just haven't noticed Worrell much on that front when he's doing it, certainly value his defensive game.

Not sure if you saw the Ch7 clips from last night doing the rounds on the Keane thread, but it looks like his preference is to stay. Certainly a pleasant surprise for people like me who'd essentially resigned themselves to losing him.
Hadn't seen the clips... but happy to hear that he's likely to stay.

Is Worrell better than Keane offensively? I don't feel as if I notice Worrell much offensively, Keane I tend to notice attacking more with ball in hand. Perhaps I just haven't noticed Worrell much on that front when he's doing it, certainly value his defensive game.
Worrell Averages the 8th most score launches by all Key defenders. 7th most score involvements, 18th best record 1 on 1 (Keane 19th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Crows Injury Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Back