2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes there is, offer him much more. The only saving grace if Battle leaving was band1.
I don't want him to leave but could live with band1.
Band2 would be a disaster if we squabbled over an extra 50k a year.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Spot on...but if hes hellbent on leaving...money doesnt matter , unlike if was a Restricted FA.

All he could do was say "Ill go to you Hawks but only if you pay me enough to trigger Band 1 compo for the Saints"

Spot on...but if hes hellbent on leaving...money doesnt matter , unlike if was a Restricted FA.

All he could do was say "Ill go to you Hawks but only if you pay me enough to trigger Band 1 compo for the Saints"
But no-one knows what that trigger is

Even the AFL don't know .... seems they just make it up as they go .... the band definitions are sooo grey, blurred and shadowy it gives them wiggle room to fk teams over if and when they feel like it

Absolute rort ..... especially when they can decide ... hey let's give that badly run club over there ... extra picks

AFL is compromised as fk .... and they dont even hide it

But no-one knows what that trigger is

Even the AFL don't know .... seems they just make it up as they go .... the band definitions are sooo grey, blurred and shadowy it gives them wiggle room to fk teams over if and when they feel like it

Absolute rort ..... especially when they can decide ... hey let's give that badly run club over there ... extra picks

AFL is compromised as fk .... and they dont even hide it
If Frawley and McKay triggered band 1, it should be a no brainer.
But here’s the difference - Dees and Norf.

Vs

….Saints!

Last edited:
But here’s the difference - Dees and Blues

Vs

….Saints!
Mostly North, AFL are happy to screw the Dees alongside us (eg: NGA)

St.Kilda CEO.

Not me but from somebody else.

'Was at an event today where st Kilda ceo took some questions, and here's a few takeaways.
Money wise, we made as much money from gate receipts for Maddy's match, as we did for the rest of our home fixtures combined.
We should go hard at the draft for 4-5 years to build a premiership list and we're about 3 years into it. Looking to be top 4 list in 2026/27 (he kept saying 2016, 2017).
The previous management was a bit premature in going for free agents.
BIG THING
Josh battle pushing to the end of the year means you've gotta worry about it. "We've crunched some numbers" regarding FA compensation and it "is not looking as healthy as it might have done" based on salary cap projections.
So based on that, I think he's saying it's looking like battle compo won't be a pick right after our first, like we first thought.'

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Luckily third tall backs are so easy to replace then. I wonder if the Battle compo will get us Shiel?

But here’s the difference - Dees and Blues

Vs

….Saints!

It’s a disguised priority pick. If we were a basket case they’d make it up as they go.

We won’t finish bottom 5 next year, 1 year more development a healthy Max King and a game plan coming together. Id be happy not having a first next year if it means we have 5,6 and 7 this year thats fast tracking our rebuild. We could finish as high as 6th next year

Could. Could go either way. You don’t want to trade out unless you have a very good reason. SOS used a future first to get Stocker. Delisted a few years later.

He’s still got a way to go imo. I see him as Trent McKenzie, too tall and slow to be a running player, not strong enough yet to be a short key back. Fingers crossed though.
I think his marking is better then it seems, more just adjusting to AFL bodies. See him as a threatening Steven may or even a more damaging Wilks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle is a good player not a great player.
People seem to be losing their sh#t over a player that just gets bettter every day.
By next week he’ll be hitting Buddy Franklin and Lachie Neale levels of good.

On the Midweek Tackle Ralphy said they think it’s got to be $900k to be Band 1 and the offer for Battle is $850k. JB looks to be right. Let’s enjoy end of first compo turning into pick 29 like last year.

I give up. How are we supposed to compete. Big clubs robbing small clubs, except the Dogs getting waved through on pick 1, FS bullshit everywhere being paid for with pick 63, North hand outs everywhere and most of the interstate teams getting academy kids galore. F the AFL . I’ll be done if it’s mid to late 20s. Not worth the heartache

On the Midweek Tackle Ralphy said they think it’s got to be $900k to be Band 1 and the offer for Battle is $850k. JB looks to be right. Let’s enjoy end of first compo turning into pick 29 like last year.

I give up. How are we supposed to compete. Big clubs robbing small clubs, except the Dogs getting waved through on pick 1, FS bullshit everywhere being paid for with pick 63, North hand outs everywhere and most of the interstate teams getting academy kids galore. F the AFL . I’ll be done if it’s mid to late 20s. Not worth the heartache
It has to be band one. I’ve talked so much shite to other supporters about it😂

Battle is a good player not a great player.
People seem to be losing their sh#t over a player that just gets bettter every day.
By next week he’ll be hitting Buddy Franklin and Lachie Neale levels of good.
Why are the Hawks headhunting him? Something to do with supply vs demand?

I really don’t understand why the whole process has to be so clandestine.

Every club should be able to check in and find out exactly what the draft return is based on the current offer and still have sufficient time to change their offer.

Otherwise clubs are at risk of making list decisions that unfairly weight the value of the trade away from them.

Every club should be able to check in and find out exactly what the draft return is based on the current offer and still have sufficient time to change their offer.

Otherwise clubs are at risk of making list decisions that unfairly weight the value of the trade away from them.
Stop making so much sense.

Except it was never intended to be used that way.
The pick is meant to be compensation for losing a player, not motivation to lose your player.

Can't wait for the AFL to fix the system after we get screwed over by it.

Then we should be offering Battle $900K, and convince him to stay or get Hawks to match.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back