3. West Coast - J. Smith
4. Adelaide - S. Draper
5. Melbourne - H. Armstrong
6. Richmond - M. Reid
7. St.Kilda - S. Lalor
8. St.Kilda - H. Langford
9. Essendon - J. Shanahan
10. Richmond - J. Smilie

Just think FOS has shown enough to get the nod.

NM little bit of a reach I think bypassing smith but think trainor makes sense here

Smith best available and wc have never hesitated picking Vic players

Draper obvious in to Adelaide sadly but WC would think hard about drafting Draper at 3

Armstrong doesn’t quite look the big deal to me but is tracking very similar to cadman and Melbourne would be eager to complete their young forward line with JVR and Jefferson. Wouldn’t be shocked if they just went for best mid though with all the drama. They’d probably go for the classier Reid which compliments their midfield well.

Reckon Richmond likes Reid after attempting to look at him over other candidates in vfl. Feel like they would jump at him at 6 and be concerned he won’t get past stk assuming they have freos pick.

Lalor I’m thoroughly back on board but very hopeful rather than confident he makes it to us.

Langford to complement Lalor would be a great double pending they can pass the RtB covering the ground test

Richmond could end up with FOS, Reid, Smilie, which would be pretty exciting mix

That’s an admittedly pretty hopefully effort
Well thought through :thumbsu:

Lalor & Langford .... that's a lot of mid grunt power and both can go forward as well

I for one would not be unhappy with those two

We lack speed around the ball but have buckets of it when it is flicked out wide.

Hares like Sinclair, Henry, Hill, NWM etc.

Our trouble is actually getting our hands on the thing during clearance. That’s why the possibility of Smillie sliding to us is just incredible.
This is the perfect comment in my opinion. You cant recruit just fleet footed mids because you need the ball to get it to them. We need to recruit one mid that is a 190cm bull, then its ball use. You look fast if you win it and then move it quickly either by hand or foot, then run. We have some really good ball users now, thats how you beat floods etc, move it over distance quickly then have runners follow up.
Recruit a ready mid ie Peatling type then two kids. A kid like Langford or HYnes, then I think a Travaglia type of whom I think Ross will like because he is an elite athlete, tall, can use the footy and is a Will Day type.
You have a ready player, bull and runner utility.

My rant.

I bet someone like Geelong puts an inconceivably early bid on Frankie Jnr and just puts a massive spammer in the works for our later picks

We don’t have to match the bid even though we get a discount.

If it’s too early then we don’t match. Geelong then have to take him.

It’s why clubs don’t bid too early. They have to be prepared to take the player at the pick they nominate.

If Melbourne came knocking for Caminitti and offered pick 6, would you do it?

Ahhhhh YES. Flip the rookie pick up key forward into a pick 6 seems the obvious decision, given he's shown talent but not exactly dominated. Love Caminiti and think a few more years of development can see him as a high quality forward with King taking the 1 defender each week, but pick 6 to go with 7 (and maybe 8) could set up our list profile for a decade.

I bet someone like Geelong puts an inconceivably early bid on Frankie Jnr and just puts a massive spammer in the works for our later picks
After p40 you don't need anything but a list spot to claim your kid, and in this draft he won't be going that high. Even Cole is borderline around that mark so we can probably get them both for absolutely nothing.

I agree with Scrappy - King is and always will be a handicap on having a fully functioning forward line. I will go as far to say we wont play in a GF with King in the side. Caminiti is full of energy and effort and gives everything for his team mates. He doesn't have the raw talent of Max but his enthusiasm for the game puts him well in front in my view.

Im sorry everyone he plays for the Saints but I dont rate him and believe he will never reach the potential you all dream of. He strikes me as the sort of kid that could just pack up his bat & ball and walk away from the game tomorrow eg Tom Boyd. Not someone you build a club around...
I don't like the trade Max talk tbh. Nor do l like the trade Hammer talk, or any potential trade Cooper talk.
I think the 3 of them can be an epic combination if we just use them right and move Max up the ground. We are getting close to a good list but we have to keep them together now and just pump games in.

If Melbourne came knocking for Caminitti and offered pick 6, would you do it?

I actually wouldn't. We push back development another 2 years to hopefully find a player with a similar trajectory. He's show more than McCartin ever did at the Saints. You also need to off set that with what ever it costs to replace him. If that's Shanahan, A Whitlock or Simms it probably cost a late first or second rounder so the pick 6 is off-set with what ever the replacement costs.

I don't like the trade Max talk tbh. Nor do l like the trade Hammer talk, or any potential trade Cooper talk.
I think the 3 of them can be an epic combination if we just use them right and move Max up the ground. We are getting close to a good list but we have to keep them together now and just pump games in.
The trade Hammer question was just a hypothetical from me, I think someone is going to cash in on Melbournes commitment to this list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually wouldn't. We push back development another 2 years to hopefully find a player with a similar trajectory. He's show more than McCartin ever did at the Saints. You also need to off set that with what ever it costs to replace him. If that's Shanahan, A Whitlock or Simms it probably cost a late first or second rounder so the pick 6 is off-set with what ever the replacement costs.
I’d personally do it, split a pick taking Travaglia and a shanahan type offsetting the cost of replacing him with a pick we already have.
But it’s a moot point anyway, they won’t offer pick 6 for hammer. I don’t really think there’s anyone on the market that will move the needle enough for both Collingwood and Melbourne but I expect both to be right into Membrey

Love the kid but that's too good to turn down. I'm also a big believer in Keeler and think he can be that 2nd fwd/ruck if we persist with him.

Much more confident in Hammer than Keeler. I think Keeler might make it but with no real confidence. He does the sublime but consistency and impact still very patchy.

Not every pick is a definite star no matter how high they are. There are usually one or two absolute stars in most drafts top 10s, a few above average and a few GOPs then a couple of spuds/busts. Pick 6 is cursed as well. It's got one of the worst hit rates of any pick. I think they say pick 46 out performs it.

I have Hammer as an above average for his age so I would think the chance of getting an upgrade are slim. I think Stavro claimed that the Saints rated him as a top 5 pick level talent even.

The trade Hammer question was just a hypothetical from me, I think someone is going to cash in on Melbournes commitment to this list.
Yeah, storm in a teacup stuff.
In reality l don't think many players would agree to being traded to Melbs anyway.
I reckon our young group are a good thing and l wouldn't want to mess with it.

Much more confident in Hammer than Keeler. I think Keeler might make it but with no real confidence. He does the sublime but consistency and impact still very patchy.

Not every pick is a definite star no matter how high they are. There are usually one or two absolute stars in most drafts top 10s, a few above average and a few GOPs then a couple of spuds/busts. Pick 6 is cursed as well. It's got one of the worst hit rates of any pick. I think they say pick 46 out performs it.

I have Hammer as an above average for his age so I would think the chance of getting an upgrade are slim. I think Stavro claimed that the Saints rated him as a top 5 pick level talent even.
Keen to see what Hammer can do next year. A couple of years in the system, he has improved aspects of his game in particular his goal kicking and could be ready to go to another level.

Love Cama but top 5 pick level talent is sos and co giving themselves a bit of a pump up.

He’s promising and work ethic is there but let’s not go over board.

Gold Coast offer Pick 6 they would cash and run but it’d never happen because not even Gold Coast are that silly.

Clear bias shown that you don’t rate top draft picks over any half decent player we have but the entire AFLs list management teams do and theres a reason for that.

I agree with Scrappy - King is and always will be a handicap on having a fully functioning forward line. I will go as far to say we wont play in a GF with King in the side. Caminiti is full of energy and effort and gives everything for his team mates. He doesn't have the raw talent of Max but his enthusiasm for the game puts him well in front in my view.

Im sorry everyone he plays for the Saints but I dont rate him and believe he will never reach the potential you all dream of. He strikes me as the sort of kid that could just pack up his bat & ball and walk away from the game tomorrow eg Tom Boyd. Not someone you build a club around...

I'm not fan of Max King but I think a lot of people are confused by the difference between correlation versus causation. King had shit form when we had the bulk of the midfield missing and guys like Wood, Sincs, Howard, Butler, Snags missing and playing on a stuffed knee.

He's a frustrating player but the media slides of games won with and without him are not really showing the full picture. The club needs to work out how to use him better and he needs to pull his finger out but he's one of the few things we shouldn't need to chase for a while. If he signs on below market value now we might end up laughing in a few years.

Keen to see what Hammer can do next year. A couple of years in the system, he has improved aspects of his game in particular his goal kicking and could be ready to go to another level.

And if we have the midfield working he really could be anything. King, Hammer and Sharman are a pretty scary proposition for most side. If we could make it work it looks brute force and a nice range of styles. Play King patrolling the 50, Hammer deep forward and Coops a floating runner who drifts in from the side. Add a fitter and more confident Owens and it's starting to look quite potent.

Love Cama but top 5 pick level talent is sos and co giving themselves a bit of a pump up.

He’s promising and work ethic is there but let’s not go over board.

Gold Coast offer Pick 6 they would cash and run but it’d never happen because not even Gold Coast are that silly.

Clear bias shown that you don’t rate top draft picks over any half decent player we have but the entire AFLs list management teams do and theres a reason for that.

At some point you have to make hay instead of putting it off for another 4 years. Most key forwards aren't dominating until they are 23 to 25. We already have one of the youngest sides in footy and about to cull another lot of older players. Push too many kids in and you lose competitiveness.

I'm not a bottom out for years fan. We have a enough talent to now start to play competitive footy. Cutting buys them time and excuses. Building a list is like building a wall. If you keep pulling bricks out from the bottom to get nicer ones for the top the whole thing topples.

Watch how he moves.

That game was scrappy as ****. He looked like he got hands to lots of balls but all looked messy. Not sure if it was the weather or that's his standard. Haven't really taken notice of him except reading about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back