2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually wouldn't. We push back development another 2 years to hopefully find a player with a similar trajectory. He's show more than McCartin ever did at the Saints. You also need to off set that with what ever it costs to replace him. If that's Shanahan, A Whitlock or Simms it probably cost a late first or second rounder so the pick 6 is off-set with what ever the replacement costs.
Agreed, you don't flagrantly get rid of developing kids especially a 19 y.o still developing.
Many wanted to get rid of Sharman early and he is showing great form now.
Battle was slightly different, despite losing him, we had no say if he really wanted to go.
Caminiti is part of the strategy of youth, why purposely get rid of him after a couple of years.
Might as well get rid of Pou and Naz as well.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

So it’s looking like we will only be able to select one of Lalor, Langford, Smillie or Reid whichever slides. With the most likely being Reid due to his lack of athletic/strength/physicality which has become a defining characteristic that recruiters look for.

Just curious whether we would all be happy taking Reid with our first pick? Personally if this is how its projected to play out Id rather try and trade up (even if it means giving a second rounder) to select one of the others

If we had a draft like that we’d be set for the next 15 years with our KPP’s! Rome wasn’t built in a day, this list build really started with the King draft. Trout and co royally ****ed the list for a decade, what a disaster that era was. Now he’s at Essendope selecting Tsatas over Pou
Heard that in 2014 with McCartin and Goddard.

So it’s looking like we will only be able to select one of Lalor, Langford, Smillie or Reid whichever slides. With the most likely being Reid due to his lack of athletic/strength/physicality which has become a defining characteristic that recruiters look for.

Just curious whether we would all be happy taking Reid with our first pick? Personally if this is how its projected to play out Id rather try and trade up (even if it means giving a second rounder) to select one of the others
Reid is a big yes from me.

With live trading, will be interesting who is left at our picks especially I'd we have 7 and 8.
Take the full time on the clock to see if it shakes anything out of the tree, take who we want at 7 and then see if we have any bites again.
The live trading worked a treat with GWS last draft, we got Wilson and a free future 2nd.

With live trading, will be interesting who is left at our picks especially I'd we have 7 and 8.
Take the full time on the clock to see if it shakes anything out of the tree, take who we want at 7 and then see if we have any bites again.
The live trading worked a treat with GWS last draft, we got Wilson and a free future 2nd.

If we are trading out of 8 then I’d want at least two future firsts.

Would set up 2025 Trade and Draft nicely if we had 3 Future Firsts, could go after some big fish

Agreed, you don't flagrantly get rid of developing kids especially a 19 y.o still developing.
Many wanted to get rid of Sharman early and he is showing great form now.
Battle was slightly different, despite losing him, we had no say if he really wanted to go.
Caminiti is part of the strategy of youth, why purposely get rid of him after a couple of years.
Might as well get rid of Pou and Naz as well.

Wasn’t it just a hypothetical or did I miss something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m all for best talent available at our pick. I just need one to be a genuine mid.

The combo that would stress me out would be a Trainor and Reid combo.
Highly talented. But do they fix an immediate need?
Trying to fix immediate needs in the draft is not the right way to go about it imo, especially in the top 10. That’s how you make mistakes and miss out on the best talent. As a tiebreaker sure, but these kids aren’t gonna come in and fix our midfield issues.

Yep absolutely. There will be clubs at most picks scrambling to jump up because their fave has slid.

The order will shuffle on pick trades. GC would be hell bent on keeping 6 given it will come in before Lombard, so whether Richmond will accept a F1 or not … chance to get involved with our F1? North and Adelaide might be a natural swap. Could see:
1.Rich - FOS
2. Ade - Draper
3. WC - Smith
4. North - (any of Smilie, Trainor, Lalor, Langford), let’s say Lalor for the exercise
5. Mel - Langford (left footer might be a point of diff for them)
6. GC - Trainor
7. Stk - Smilie
8. Stk - Reid

Leaving someone like Armstrong on the board. My guess is we would be getting offers at 7 and 8 to jump in purely on Armstrong alone. If that’s an Essendon or the first of Freo’s picks then it might be worth it.

But I could see any of pick 4 picking any of 4 or 5 guys, let alone the fact that it’s not baked in that FOS, Smith, Draper will go 1-3.

I think Davis could make a late rush to the teens or even closer. Interesting watch.

If Tiges get the pick from Gold Coast and they would’ve probably selected one of smillie/jagger/FOS with the first. I could see them pulling the trigger on either Armstrong/trainor. Ess at the pick after us surely won’t target a midfielder and with the Tiges getting the other picks from freo etc would be right in the range for lindsay,hotton,travaglia and a potential midfield slider. It would make sense to balance out the draft haul with some qualities midfielders still probably there at the third pick. But may not have the quality of Armstrong/trainor.

Spoke to the boss of my local fish and chip shop last weekend, and he was adamant that Elwood Peckett was going to go in the first round of the draft.

Saying that, maybe he said something different. I was too busy tucking into fluffiest and crispiest potato cake you had ever seen. Washed it down with a Solo Lemon/Mango No Sugar - excellent drop.

Thought he had been flying under the radar, I doubt he gets bid on before our 2nd rounder. Watch the pundits come out when he plays blinders for Dandenong in the finals. On his form this year he deserves to go on the main list, but I was hoping he might get through the rookies.

Trying to fix immediate needs in the draft is not the right way to go about it imo, especially in the top 10. That’s how you make mistakes and miss out on the best talent. As a tiebreaker sure, but these kids aren’t gonna come in and fix our midfield issues.
I understand your point.

But our biggest issue is our midfield and this draft is loaded with them.

To have a hypothetical hand of 7+8 and walk away with 2 key position players. Would be a pretty hard pill to swallow for this fan base.

And midfielders who are as good as we are going these first round picks to be are going to cost 2 firsts or just in general a lot of currency.

I trust they will take best available. But the argument being we should be expecting atleast 1 midfielder in the event 7+8 is our draft hand.

Yep absolutely. There will be clubs at most picks scrambling to jump up because their fave has slid.

The order will shuffle on pick trades. GC would be hell bent on keeping 6 given it will come in before Lombard, so whether Richmond will accept a F1 or not … chance to get involved with our F1? North and Adelaide might be a natural swap. Could see:
1.Rich - FOS
2. Ade - Draper
3. WC - Smith
4. North - (any of Smilie, Trainor, Lalor, Langford), let’s say Lalor for the exercise
5. Mel - Langford (left footer might be a point of diff for them)
6. GC - Trainor
7. Stk - Smilie
8. Stk - Reid

Leaving someone like Armstrong on the board. My guess is we would be getting offers at 7 and 8 to jump in purely on Armstrong alone. If that’s an Essendon or the first of Freo’s picks then it might be worth it.

But I could see any of pick 4 picking any of 4 or 5 guys, let alone the fact that it’s not baked in that FOS, Smith, Draper will go 1-3.

I think Davis could make a late rush to the teens or even closer. Interesting watch.
Norf WILL take Smilie if he’s there at their pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back