2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne will return to form now that the liability Clayton Oliver is out for the season

Why what’s the knock, they look ok to me & will develop into kp players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They look good enough, just prefer Shanahan.

Just about every other midfield in the AFL has the make up of someone drafted in or around the top 5. Most clubs have ATLEAST 1 player. Some examples.
Melbourne: trac, clarry
Dogs: bont (maccrae for years)
Blues:walsh
North: LDU (wardlaw etc)
Port: rozzee, jhf
Lions: mccluggage, rayner
Pies: de goey, naicos
Freo: A brayshaw
GWS: Tom Greene, Fin Callaghan, Josh Kelly, COGS
GC: Rowel, Anderson
ESS: parish.

Every single one of those players drafted in the top 5 of the draft. And every single one of them are a starting AFL midfielder and some of the best in the comp at that. Of course there is us. Apart from Max king we haven’t had a top 5 pick since when? I’m not saying it’s the only avenue and I know there’s plenty of examples of players outside that. It’s more you just have a lot bigger chance of drafting that player in that half of the draft pool. Rather then the 8-16 in which we have been the last however many.

Sydney has their best mids from pick 32 and pick 39. It's not the number, it's the quality of the talent. Essendon tossed a coin between Tsitas and Phillipou. Pick 4 (pick 5 with Ashcroft taken before their natural pick). If Phillipou hadn't sounded as cocky as he did we might have had Tsitas and Mattaes would look every bit a pick 4.

Just about every other midfield in the AFL has the make up of someone drafted in or around the top 5. Most clubs have ATLEAST 1 player. Some examples.
Melbourne: trac, clarry
Dogs: bont (maccrae for years)
Blues:walsh
North: LDU (wardlaw etc)
Port: rozzee, jhf
Lions: mccluggage, rayner
Pies: de goey, naicos
Freo: A brayshaw
GWS: Tom Greene, Fin Callaghan, Josh Kelly, COGS
GC: Rowel, Anderson
ESS: parish.

Every single one of those players drafted in the top 5 of the draft. And every single one of them are a starting AFL midfielder and some of the best in the comp at that. Of course there is us. Apart from Max king we haven’t had a top 5 pick since when? I’m not saying it’s the only avenue and I know there’s plenty of examples of players outside that. It’s more you just have a lot bigger chance of drafting that player in that half of the draft pool. Rather then the 8-16 in which we have been the last however many.

We have Paddy Dow.

Sydney has their best mids from pick 32 and pick 39. It's not the number, it's the quality of the talent. Essendon tossed a coin between Tsitas and Phillipou. Pick 4 (pick 5 with Ashcroft taken before their natural pick). If Phillipou hadn't sounded as cocky as he did we might have had Tsitas and Mattaes would look every bit a pick 4.
10 of the last 12 premierships. have atleast one starting midfielder drafted within the top 5 picks of the draft. They set you up for success if you can nail them.

10 of the last 12 premierships. have atleast one starting midfielder drafted within the top 5 picks of the draft. They set you up for success if you can nail them.

And plenty of sides that finished last do too. Mids in the front end of the draft have the lowest bust rate. Steele was an academy cheapy, Dow was pick 3, Hunter Clark was pick 6, Crouch was pick 2 in the mini draft etc.

The best talent tends to come from the top 10 of drafts it's not a massive surprise that the good sides have good mids taken high in the draft but it isn't the reason they play in premierships.

Geelong and Sydney have been the most successful sides in the modern era and have barely had access to the top end of the draft in 20 years. Adelaide had built top lists with very limited access to the top end of drafts.

Sydney got Dylan Stephens at 6 and he is barely competitive at North. Got Warner in the 30s and he's elite.

And plenty of sides that finished last do too. Mids in the front end of the draft have the lowest bust rate. Steele was an academy cheapy, Dow was pick 3, Hunter Clark was pick 6, Crouch was pick 2 in the mini draft etc.

The best talent tends to come from the top 10 of drafts it's not a massive surprise that the good sides have good mids taken high in the draft but it isn't the reason they play in premierships.

Geelong and Sydney have been the most successful sides in the modern era and have barely had access to the top end of the draft in 20 years. Adelaide had built top lists with very limited access to the top end of drafts.

Sydney got Dylan Stephens at 6 and he is barely competitive at North. Got Warner in the 30s and he's elite.
Maybe we can get lucky with a Garcia type.

If he was to reach Libbas level for example, and Pou becomes elite, we are only 1 gun away from a great midfield.

I think you’re missing the point. I’m aware there is quality star midfielders drafted outside of the top 5. But comparing our midfield to let’s say port JHF (1) rozee (5) is pretty stark. I think we do ok finding solid citizen players late around the ground but in terms of what is holding us back IMO is star midfield talent (more often then not they are inside the top5 of the draft)

I think you’re missing the point. I’m aware there is quality star midfielders drafted outside of the top 5. But comparing our midfield to let’s say port JHF (1) rozee (5) is pretty stark. I think we do ok finding solid citizen players late around the ground but in terms of what is holding us back IMO is star midfield talent (more often then not they are inside the top5 of the draft)

Phillipou steps up and Steele gets his knee right and we have 2 high end mids. Dow, Henry and Clark get a good injury run and a preseason and progression. Garcia demands midfield time. Windhager steps up from tagger to Steele level and we draft our Joel Selwood.

If we get our fitness staff better we potentially have an incredibly deep midfield minus some absolute elite but who knows with progression. We still have guys like Owens, Hall etc who have midfield potential too.

Small forward and KP backs depth are probably vulnerable to injury more than mids IMO.

You can really only play three full time pure on ballers at one time plus a couple of rotations that sit on the bench or switch roles.

Phillipou steps up and Steele gets his knee right and we have 2 high end mids. Dow, Henry and Clark get a good injury run and a preseason and progression. Garcia demands midfield time. Windhager steps up from tagger to Steele level and we draft our Joel Selwood.

If we get our fitness staff better we potentially have an incredibly deep midfield minus some absolute elite but who knows with progression. We still have guys like Owens, Hall etc who have midfield potential too.

Small forward and KP backs depth are probably vulnerable to injury more than mids IMO.

You can really only play three full time pure on ballers at one time plus a couple of rotations that sit on the bench or switch roles.
Agree to disagree but this is why we have been incredibly mid since our 09/10/11 era. Solid citizens without stars in the midfield. A lot of if’s and but’s that have just never come on in the last 10 years. Or if they have haven’t been good enough to compete with the elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My pick of the litter would be Draper and Lalor. They would be the perfect compliment to our other young mids. We need an edgy aggressive mid that likes the push and shove, and Draper looks like a classy all rounder. They should be available at our picks unless Adelaide finish under us. If that happens Travaglia looks solid as. I'm assuming Smith, Langford, and FOS will all be gone by our picks.

surely crows take draper if he is there?

It would make the most sense for them to. I've been hoping fot the Crows to go on a run since our Sydney win, the Cats loss hurt us.

It's not the end of the world if they finish below us, but there are 4 mids that I'd love with our first pick so having pick 5 would have me a little concerned.

Chad Warner : pick 39. ( the year Saints trade pick 32 for Zac Jones).
Hayden McLean: Pre Season sup. Saints got Caminiti , so meh.
Taylor Adams : Pick 33 ( ok , like Saints trading for Jones, except its Taylor Adams ).
Brodie Grundy : Pick 46 and a second rounder this year .
Issac Heeney : Bid on at pick 2, matched with 18.
Logan McDonald: Pick 4 2020.

Harry Cunningham: Rookie.
James Rowbottom: Pick 25. ( Saints had the James Jordan pick, but we split it to draft Hind etc ).
Will Hayward : Pick 21 ( Saints got Jack Steele for a second rounder that year ).
Aaron Francis : Minor pick swap and future 4th.
Tom Papley : Rookie.
Angus Sheldrick : Pick 18 ( He'll probably be good ). Saints got Owens .
Oliver Florent : Pick 11 , ( Saints got Hill ).
Callum Mills : Academy at pick 3.
Sam Wicks : Academy , Rookie.
Braeden Campbell : Academy at pick 5.
James Jordan : Unrestricted free agent.
Jacob Konstanty: Pick 20.
Peter Ladhams : First round pick swap and a future 3rd.
Sam Reid : Pick 38
Errol Gulden: Academy, no-one bid until late round 2 in 2020 :O
Nick Blakey : Academy , pick 10.
Dane Rampe : Rookie.
Cooper Vickery : Pick 27 : Yet to debut.
Luke Parker : Pick 40, well after Jamie Cripps.
Justin McInerney : Pick 44.
William Edwards : Cat B Rookie.
Joel Hamling : Free Agent
Tom McCartin : Pick 33
Indhi Kirk : Cat B Rookie.
Jainden Maigor : Rookie
Caiden Cleary : pick 24
Matty Roberts :pick 34.
Caleb Mitchel : pick 40
Joel Amartey: Rookie
Corey Warner: pick 40
Harrison Arnold : Mid season draft.
Jack Buller : Mid season draft
Tom Hanily : Rookie
Patrick Snell: Pick 53
Robbie Fox : Rookie
Lewis Melican: Rookie
Jake Lloyd : Rookie
William Green : Academy
Lachlan McAndrew: Academy

Chad Warner : pick 39. ( the year Saints trade pick 32 for Zac Jones).
Hayden McLean: Pre Season sup. Saints got Caminiti , so meh.
Taylor Adams : Pick 33 ( ok , like Saints trading for Jones, except its Taylor Adams ).
Brodie Grundy : Pick 46 and a second rounder this year .
Issac Heeney : Bid on at pick 2, matched with 18.
Logan McDonald: Pick 4 2020.

Harry Cunningham: Rookie.
James Rowbottom: Pick 25. ( Saints had the James Jordan pick, but we split it to draft Hind etc ).
Will Hayward : Pick 21 ( Saints got Jack Steele for a second rounder that year ).
Aaron Francis : Minor pick swap and future 4th.
Tom Papley : Rookie.
Angus Sheldrick : Pick 18 ( He'll probably be good ). Saints got Owens .
Oliver Florent : Pick 11 , ( Saints got Hill ).
Callum Mills : Academy at pick 3.
Sam Wicks : Academy , Rookie.
Braeden Campbell : Academy at pick 5.
James Jordan : Unrestricted free agent.
Jacob Konstanty: Pick 20.
Peter Ladhams : First round pick swap and a future 3rd.
Sam Reid : Pick 38
Errol Gulden: Academy, no-one bid until late round 2 in 2020 :O
Nick Blakey : Academy , pick 10.
Dane Rampe : Rookie.
Cooper Vickery : Pick 27 : Yet to debut.
Luke Parker : Pick 40, well after Jamie Cripps.
Justin McInerney : Pick 44.
William Edwards : Cat B Rookie.
Joel Hamling : Free Agent
Tom McCartin : Pick 33
Indhi Kirk : Cat B Rookie.
Jainden Maigor : Rookie
Caiden Cleary : pick 24
Matty Roberts :pick 34.
Caleb Mitchel : pick 40
Joel Amartey: Rookie
Corey Warner: pick 40
Harrison Arnold : Mid season draft.
Jack Buller : Mid season draft
Tom Hanily : Rookie
Patrick Snell: Pick 53
Robbie Fox : Rookie
Lewis Melican: Rookie
Jake Lloyd : Rookie
William Green : Academy
Lachlan McAndrew: Academy
They've got a great system. Good coaching leads to quicker development.
We don't have to look far as an example of that. Sharman and Marshall have improved out of sight under Lyon. LDU under Clarko and look at S Mitchell's hawks, there a pretty young side, but a good example of when development and game plan perfectly align. Their certainly getting the best output from the team. It makes those late picks and trades look so much better.

It would make the most sense for them to. I've been hoping fot the Crows to go on a run since our Sydney win, the Cats loss hurt us.

It's not the end of the world if they finish below us, but there are 4 mids that I'd love with our first pick so having pick 5 would have me a little concerned.
I selfishly want us to finish higher than the crows
I have a bet on that we will

Going to go down to the wire
Lot of teams can change position and sneak in
Def going to be an interesting final two rounds of footy

To keep the blues from getting there would be great

I do like langford

Agree to disagree but this is why we have been incredibly mid since our 09/10/11 era. Solid citizens without stars in the midfield. A lot of if’s and but’s that have just never come on in the last 10 years. Or if they have haven’t been good enough to compete with the elite.

If you decide that there is no chance of us drafting good players what's the point of any of it. Keeping our old recruiting and list management staff cost us years but since 2021 we have made 23 list changes and another 4 or 5 probably come of that list. We have had massive list change and a bulk of it was through the draft.

At some point you will get a boost from that youth. Steele had one very good year and has had a couple of injury years that have set him backwards. Adding a player like Parker and a few kids coming on changes everything.

Sydney went and picked up Taylor Adams then had Warner and Gulden step up to elite in the meantime. I have a lot more faith that we have genuine talented kids on the list now.

If a few come on and we get a good injury run there is no reason we can't make top 4 next year with improvement still in the list.

Out of all the top prospects, who are the 2 that seem to be the biggest FIGJAM’s?

We need some more flogs in our team that opposition supporters love to hate

Not sure but maybe Trainor. He looks a bit floggy somehow. I reckon Draper seems like a real pastel polo private school kid looking mo-fo too.

There are heaps of competitive kids in it but they don't seem to be a massively FIGJAM cohort.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back