2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

We needed forwards.

We had Nick with a crap knee.
We had Maister and Lee.
WE NEEDED FORWARDS and a forward in the draft would take years to come on.

We didn't know that the likes of Armitage and Steven would retire young.
Dunstan looked like a midfield bull.

Don't forget we had Spencer "Buddy" White on the list then too.... yuck!

Thoughts on Xavier Lindsay?
Everyone knows at the top of the draft you pick best available (you don’t prioritise needs). Every club knew Petracca was the #1 pick. We just made an insanely stupid decision.

EVERYONE rated Paddy top 3.

It’s easy in hindsight but I’m surprised his lack of height (193cm) for a key forward, coupled with a lack of athleticism didn’t hold him back in recruiters assessments.
Also, I did hear an interview with Matt Rendell (RIP), suggesting Collingwood had him 8th on their board.

Having said that he was incredibly unlucky and none of that could be foreseen. He locked pretty solid as an intercepting backman at Sydney.

It’s easy in hindsight but I’m surprised his lack of height (193cm) for a key forward, coupled with a lack of athleticism didn’t hold him back in recruiters assessments.
Also, I did hear an interview with Matt Rendell (RIP), suggesting Collingwood had him 8th on their board.

Having said that he was incredibly unlucky and none of that could be foreseen. He locked pretty solid as an intercepting backman at Sydney.

At the time i wanted Peter Wright.
I could never work out why Paddy was so far in front of him.
And yes i thought about the height too.

2017, 31 goals while relieving in the ruck.

Paddy. 5 goals.

Ok Just watched Vic Metro v Vic Country.

First thing is, how did Country lose that game, was the best team on the day

Secondly, the scourge of umpires destroying games has trickled down to u18 champs level. To give that 50 because Travaglia took what he thought was a championship winning mark to see it a free against and then penalise him because he swore is absolutely pathetic and gutless from the umpire.

Anyway my totally unscientific approach was to give a tick for something good they did against a name that we may look at so Ashcroft and Trainor aren't mentioned as they are likely gone before pick 4.

I am basing assumptions on us having pick four and pick 5, then an early second and whatever the fk we have afterwards or we get in trades etc.

Ok like I said totally unscientific, so no disposals (unless I heard them on the broadcast), hard ball gets, marks, pressure acts etc, just eyeballing it

Country

Xavier Lindsay - 4 ticks, huge game to halftime with 18 disposals good mover
5 Finn O'Sullivan - 2 ticks very quiet game
9 Joe Berry - 5 ticks was ok in the first but was there when the game was to be won (think the commentators said he had 8 possessions in the 3rd). Kicked a big goal in the 4th.
13 Tobie Travagilia - 6 ticks absolute outstanding in the first a Half Back but really was a standout in the first. Not as prominent in the second but again came to the fore in the 4th and almost pulled off the championship winning mark. Was distraught at the end of the game. hard lesson learnt.
14 Sam Lalor - 5 ticks almost all in the first half, went a bit quiet in the second. Seems to have some real X factor. Took an absolute Stringer like pack mark to goal in the first
15 Xavier Ivisic - a couple of ticks. Not as much of a standout but looks like a good tidy mid that may good later in the draft
20 Jack Whitlock - 4 ticks. Not a mid but an absolutely outstanding 2nd half. If we are going for best available and not just quality mids he would have to be in contention. Thinks Shifter said he was 200cm.
22 Harvey Longford - 3 ticks all in the second half, was good midfield then went forward and took a big grab for a vital goal. Worth looking at.

There were a few others who caught the eye but mainly forwards and backs

City

Adrian Cole - 4 ticks. Saints NGA had a very good game down back and has plenty of game awareness, hope we can get him NGA would really be worth it.
8 Murphy Reid - 11 ticks. Super impressive, very balanced and clean. We have all seen his tricks near the boundary for the goal in the 4th quarter. One minute later he did the same on the outer wing. Very high on my watch list.
24 Josh Smillie 7 ticks. Was awesome in the first half a big 194 cm mid that played like Bont or Cripps. Third quarter completely insighted. Thought he was off injured. 4th quarter came back into the game combining with Reid and Jagga Smith to get on top in the mids. Hard to go past if available at our pick.
9 Jagga Smith 7 ticks. A contest beast hard at it inside mid. Would be a top ten in most phantom drafts.

So my July 2024 selections

If we are going for pure mids, whoever is available from

Murphy Reid
Jagga Smith
Josh Smillie
Joe Berry
Xavier Lindsay

If we go for best available in one of our two picks

Jack Whitlock

If we want some X factor

Sam Lalor

Dont know if he would get this far but second rounder

Tobie Travagilia
Xavier Ivisic
Henry Longford
Harvey Langford

Or a slider from one of the first groups

NGA

Adrian Cole hopefully.

U18 watchers would know more about it than me and I saw none of the other teams so cant comment on Draper etc.

Some I have mentioned may not be rated top ten the four I would rate definite top ten (taking out Ashcroft, Sullivan, Trainor etc) would be

Smillie
Smith
Reid
Whitlock.

Anyway my very uniformed thoughts.

27 disposals 9 clearances is a very good return against men in the SANFL. He looks so clean and his speed really stands out. A couple of disposal issues but that can easily be worked on, looks like a matter of adjusting to the level and improving composure. Reminds me of a quicker version of Caleb Serong. Wouldn't be mad at all if we end up with this guy to add to our group of SA kids.

Im beginning to think given the eveness of the draft that Stavro's idea of splitting an early pick has some merit. IF Battle departs and IF we get a 1st round compo taking an early pick at say # 4 and then two later first round picks might be a greater benefit.

It would give us the chance to look at another mid, plus take an in need tall. I guess it comes down to how the recruitment team assess the draft strengths and who they prioritise.

I also agree with others at some point we also need to fill the midfield age gap between our kids and older core. Hopefully we can attract a player not getting midfield minutes cheaply or a free agent or two.

Last edited:
27 disposals 9 clearances is a very good return against men in the SANFL. He looks so clean and his speed really stands out. A couple of disposal issues but that can easily be worked on, looks like a matter of adjusting to the level and improving composure. Reminds me of a quicker version of Caleb Serong. Wouldn't be mad at all if we end up with this guy to add to our group of SA kids.

😳😍 looks a lot quicker than I thought. How good!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the champs I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with smilie. Regardless of that I pumped to finally get a chance at drafting an elite mid. Might have to watch some sanfl games to see how Draper is going.

Smilie's champs games have made him very unappealing. For a guy who was going pick one a few weeks ago, I'd be disappointed to get him now. Seems to be an average mid and an average forward. Draper look much more appealing and I don't love him as much as others do.

If Smillie ends up sliding to our pick, I wouldn’t be surprised if we trade back and get more picks like last year with Leake

I think sides with multiple picks would probably be keen to take them to the draft rather than move up unless they really like a particular player. I'd rather 2 picks between 10 and 20 than pick 5. Think you could get 2 players that end up better than the one that goes at 5. I wouldn't be surprised if the order isn't as predictable this year. Clubs might jump early on a few.

Ok Just watched Vic Metro v Vic Country.

First thing is, how did Country lose that game, was the best team on the day

Secondly, the scourge of umpires destroying games has trickled down to u18 champs level. To give that 50 because Travaglia took what he thought was a championship winning mark to see it a free against and then penalise him because he swore is absolutely pathetic and gutless from the umpire.

Anyway my totally unscientific approach was to give a tick for something good they did against a name that we may look at so Ashcroft and Trainor aren't mentioned as they are likely gone before pick 4.

I am basing assumptions on us having pick four and pick 5, then an early second and whatever the fk we have afterwards or we get in trades etc.

Ok like I said totally unscientific, so no disposals (unless I heard them on the broadcast), hard ball gets, marks, pressure acts etc, just eyeballing it

Country

Xavier Lindsay - 4 ticks, huge game to halftime with 18 disposals good mover
5 Finn O'Sullivan - 2 ticks very quiet game
9 Joe Berry - 5 ticks was ok in the first but was there when the game was to be won (think the commentators said he had 8 possessions in the 3rd). Kicked a big goal in the 4th.
13 Tobie Travagilia - 6 ticks absolute outstanding in the first a Half Back but really was a standout in the first. Not as prominent in the second but again came to the fore in the 4th and almost pulled off the championship winning mark. Was distraught at the end of the game. hard lesson learnt.
14 Sam Lalor - 5 ticks almost all in the first half, went a bit quiet in the second. Seems to have some real X factor. Took an absolute Stringer like pack mark to goal in the first
15 Xavier Ivisic - a couple of ticks. Not as much of a standout but looks like a good tidy mid that may good later in the draft
20 Jack Whitlock - 4 ticks. Not a mid but an absolutely outstanding 2nd half. If we are going for best available and not just quality mids he would have to be in contention. Thinks Shifter said he was 200cm.
22 Harvey Longford - 3 ticks all in the second half, was good midfield then went forward and took a big grab for a vital goal. Worth looking at.

There were a few others who caught the eye but mainly forwards and backs

City

Adrian Cole - 4 ticks. Saints NGA had a very good game down back and has plenty of game awareness, hope we can get him NGA would really be worth it.
8 Murphy Reid - 11 ticks. Super impressive, very balanced and clean. We have all seen his tricks near the boundary for the goal in the 4th quarter. One minute later he did the same on the outer wing. Very high on my watch list.
24 Josh Smillie 7 ticks. Was awesome in the first half a big 194 cm mid that played like Bont or Cripps. Third quarter completely insighted. Thought he was off injured. 4th quarter came back into the game combining with Reid and Jagga Smith to get on top in the mids. Hard to go past if available at our pick.
9 Jagga Smith 7 ticks. A contest beast hard at it inside mid. Would be a top ten in most phantom drafts.

So my July 2024 selections

If we are going for pure mids, whoever is available from

Murphy Reid
Jagga Smith
Josh Smillie
Joe Berry
Xavier Lindsay

If we go for best available in one of our two picks

Jack Whitlock

If we want some X factor

Sam Lalor

Dont know if he would get this far but second rounder

Tobie Travagilia
Xavier Ivisic
Henry Longford
Harvey Langford

Or a slider from one of the first groups

NGA

Adrian Cole hopefully.

U18 watchers would know more about it than me and I saw none of the other teams so cant comment on Draper etc.

Some I have mentioned may not be rated top ten the four I would rate definite top ten (taking out Ashcroft, Sullivan, Trainor etc) would be

Smillie
Smith
Reid
Whitlock.

Anyway my very uniformed thoughts.

Jack Whitlock doesn't look a top 10 pick but looks good. I reckon he goes in the early teens. His brother might be the Ben King and be there at our SRDP if you want a tall forward. Faull looks good too but will be gone by then too. Shanahan might drift out there.

He's very neat but he's not a pure extractor, he seems to get a lot of footy running and gathering the ball on the move. He's kind of stylish over tough. Jagga is similar but dances through traffic.

Im beginning to think given the eveness of the draft that Stavro's idea of splitting an early pick has some merit. IF Battle departs and IF we get a 1st round compo taking an early pick at say # 4 and then two later first round picks might be a greater benefit.

It would give us the chance to look at another mid, plus take an in need tall. I guess it comes down to how the recruitment team assess the draft strengths and who they prioritise.

I also agree with others at some point we also need to fill the midfield age gap between our kids and older core. Hopefully we can attract a player not getting midfield minutes cheaply or a free agent or two.
Only if we miss out on two of Jagga, Draper or Lalor. Otherwise take 2 and run

If we got picks 4 & 5 and then decided to swap pick 5 for 2 late first rounders, you can almost guarantee pick 5 will become the next Bont. Put your house on it. We are St Kilda. Please don't do it

While I’m all for maximising our draft position, losing to WCE and Richmond would be horrendous for morale and the media would be coming hard for Ross and the team. The only out would be if we put half the team in for surgery

If we got picks 4 & 5 and then decided to swap pick 5 for 2 late first rounders, you can almost guarantee pick 5 will become the next Bont. Put your house on it. We are St Kilda. Please don't do it

If we keep 4 and 5, then six will be the next Bont.

While I’m all for maximising our draft position, losing to WCE and Richmond would be horrendous for morale and the media would be coming hard for Ross and the team. The only out would be if we put half the team in for surgery
Ross made it clear last week that he isnt interested in throwing away the remaining games. He's going to select the team that gives us the best chance of winning.

I don't think they could catch us anyway & i agree with what you said play to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back