2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Again Smillie wouldn't be in the top 6 in my draft. Touted and actually occurs are very different prospects, its all based on what Toce' and the other Richmond recruiters value higher in players.

I have conceded and apologised to Stavro that I was quite wrong with my opinions on Smillie. Sorry!

"I went back and looked at his big possession games earlier this year. I have to concede I can now see what everyone was excited about.
I dont know what has gone on since then he might be carrying an injury, but he seems to have lost that spark, speed and bounce in his game. I'll concede on that early season form he definitely deserved the No #1 label. I gather the Richmond recruiters are aware of the same, so you have to wonder why they are trialling Jagga Smith now. Its not like they need to play ducks and drakes they will have the first pick regardless.

Early on Smillie was even playing like the alpha male on the field and was the obvious choice. Perhaps he was worn extra attention since then but his championships were really poor and the extra speed of the games made him look slow and no real point of difference apart from his size."

Metro and Country absolutely dominated the Championships so no surprise that the best players originate from those two clubs more so than previous years
Metro I'll give you, but Country beat SA by 8 points, WA by 11 and Allies by 2, and lost the final by 1. Hardly dominating, considering they now have eight of Cal's top 20 (FOS, Langford, Travaglia, Lalor, Lindsay, Berry, Hynes, Whitlock), and SA/WA/Allies only have one each. Inexact science but it feels like they are over-represented. Probably only a relevant discussion for our second-rounder, and still very keen on Travaglia and Lalor nonetheless.

Just doesn’t do it for me.

This however does.

And I’ll add my day 1 favourite. Watching this live I didn’t even notice his impact.

Made me feel like I was watching Lenny again - you wouldn’t notice him, look up after a quarter and he has had 15 touches

Salivate all you like over Jagga .... he won't be making it to us as Tigers will be all over him

I have conceded and apologised to Stavro that I was quite wrong with my opinions on Smillie. Sorry!

"I went back and looked at his big possession games earlier this year. I have to concede I can now see what everyone was excited about.
I dont know what has gone on since then he might be carrying an injury, but he seems to have lost that spark, speed and bounce in his game. I'll concede on that early season form he definitely deserved the No #1 label. I gather the Richmond recruiters are aware of the same, so you have to wonder why they are trialling Jagga Smith now. Its not like they need to play ducks and drakes they will have the first pick regardless.

Early on Smillie was even playing like the alpha male on the field and was the obvious choice. Perhaps he was worn extra attention since then but his championships were really poor and the extra speed of the games made him look slow and no real point of difference apart from his size."
So which club has told him to back off??

What about Reid doesn't do it? I reckon as far as highlights go he looks classy and smooth. I like Jagga though. My only concern was how he'd go against bigger bodies and that looks like it has been answered. If I had a top 3 pick I'd grab him now.
Hey gringo if the Saints had pick one who would you take?

I wanna see us play Langford at sandy , like Richmond did with jagga. Maybe we can’t because the stingrays are more affiliated with Casey. I starting to come around to him.

Where has this Draper to West coast stuff come from?
Nowhere in particular, just WC don't mind drafting from SA and he'd fit their team
I wanna see us play Langford at sandy , like Richmond did with jagga. Maybe we can’t because the stingrays are more affiliated with Casey. I starting to come around to him.
I might be wrong about this, but is Smith playing VFL because he isn't doing VCE this year and therefore has more time to train the systems etc?

I looked at this list last night and had a go at deciding who stays and who goes. Probably need to open up at least 6 or so spots.

If Battle goes (1 spot)

Mids - Wood, Byrnes, Jones or Ross (2 spots)

Defence - Howard, Van Es, McLennan, Paton, Webster, Stocker, Bonner (4 spots)

Fwds - Sharman, Keeler, Membrey, Allison, Butler, Hotton (5 spots)

Talls - Hayes, Campbell, Heath (6 spots)

I think quite a few will get one year offers - Webster, Bonner, Allison, Membrey, Campbell (unless we find a direct replacement), Van Es.

Fair chance that another might get moved to the rookie list.

So can you guys let me know who we will pick to fill these 6 spots.

1721684674961.png

I looked at this list last night and had a go at deciding who stays and who goes. Probably need to open up at least 6 or so spots.

If Battle goes (1 spot)

I think quite a few will get one year offers - Webster, Bonner, Allison, Membrey, Campbell (unless we find a direct replacement), Van Es.

View attachment 2056344
Webster is about to sign a new deal.

Membrey has interest from opposition clubs.

Allison and Campbell are for the tip and have no future

Leo Lombard is a bit off broadway, playing for Allies and tied to the Gold Coast academy, but he looks the goods to me. Low centre of gravity, great acceleration and ability to work through traffic, creative player. Joint Larke medallist and already played in a VFL premiership as a 16 year old. I think it's imperative we bid on him, and get GC to pay up - either on draft night, or preferably a couple of their firsts for the Battle pick beforehand.

I do also wonder if general perceptions may have been warped by that outstanding Vic Country v Vic Metro final. Most post-champs phantom drafts (and Twomey's power rankings) seem to only have 3 non-Vic players (Draper, Lombard, Allan) in the top 20. In the last few years there have been 9, 7, 7 and 8 non-Vics picked in the top 20 respectively - so only 3 would be quite an anomaly? Guys like Lombard seem to have slipped down the rankings through no fault of their own as a result. GC need to be kept accountable here.

Lombard looks good and rated top 10. As you said GC take him because he’s theirs. It was a bad year for WA with much less talent than normal. At the start of the year I heard someone say that WA might only have 2 players get drafted which was obviously hyperbole but obviously a lean pool over there. Victoria seems to have the bulk of the best talent this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lombard looks good and rated top 10. As you said GC take him because he’s theirs. It was a bad year for WA with much less talent than normal. At the start of the year I heard someone say that WA might only have 2 players get drafted which was obviously hyperbole but obviously a lean pool over there. Victoria seems to have the bulk of the best talent this draft.
I’ve long wondered if the suns would be keen to get ahead of his pick. Take another top talent.

I’d consider the Battle compo for 2 of their first rounders. (Depending on where they all landed)

If Battle goes (1 spot)

View attachment 2056344
Just on McClellan, his sister works for Icon the construction company and is in the office on my site. Apparently saints are going to give him another year.

Just on McClellan, his sister works for Icon the construction company and is in the office on my site. Apparently saints are going to give him another year.
That's great news botts.........IMHO.....Gus shows a lot of promise.

Nothing like a bit of Intel either.

BTW.....has she any handy intel on Josh......lol.

:) :) :)

That's great news botts.........IMHO.....Gus shows a lot of promise.

Nothing like a bit of Intel either.

BTW.....has she any handy intel on Josh......lol.

:) :) :)
I’m still waiting on your intel mate.

Thought you hinted the big guy was staying 😢

If Battle goes (1 spot)

View attachment 2056344
Find it extremely hard to believe we delist McLennan. Has shown really good development in the VFL this year and has been named emergency for the first time the past fortnight - they wouldn't do that only to delist him at year's end

I'd delist Bonner ahead of McLennan but doubt the coaches see it that way for their pet

I’m still waiting on your intel mate.

Thought you hinted the big guy was staying 😢
There's an old saying Stav....loose lips sink ships......at least I think that was the old saying.....and I'm no spring chicken......lol.

:) :)

All I will say is that I do hear some interesting things........particularly leading up to the game in Brissy and while in Brissy......it's amazing how people start singing like a canary when you top their glass up......

:):)

But all that can change in a blink.

Anyway......my understanding like yours is that Josh's family have strong links to the HFC....in what capacity I don't know.

I'd like to think they have that and more with the Saints as their son is playing for us.

Like everyone.....it will be absolutely fascinating to see what the final result is.

This topic has been "done to death" on here but it's all up to Josh now.

You would hope the club has a fair and generous offer in front of him.

Webster is about to sign a new deal.

Membrey has interest from opposition clubs.

Allison and Campbell are for the tip and have no future
Unsurprised about Webster.

Surprised that Membrey has interest from other clubs. Understood that next year would be Saints or nowhere.

Probably not intentional but disappointed about your comment about Allison, Campbell or any other player that gets delisted.

On Allison - understand where you're coming from, but if we lose Membrey from the fwd half he might be worth a year on the rookie list. (Unless of course he reverts to 5 possessions a game for the rest of the year at Sandy)

Unsurprised about Webster.

Surprised that Membrey has interest from other clubs. Understood that next year would be Saints or nowhere.

Probably not intentional but disappointed about your comment about Allison, Campbell or any other player that gets delisted.

On Allison - understand where you're coming from, but if we lose Membrey from the fwd half he might be worth a year on the rookie list. (Unless of course he reverts to 5 possessions a game for the rest of the year at Sandy)
Allison has shown nothing bar the odd game here or there.

Players go past and they don’t have an infinite time on a list. They need to take opportunities as they present - and we have had plenty in his time here and he hasn’t been around the mark.

Membrey also had interest last year….before what happened, happened.

The club won’t push him out. But if an decent opportunity presents. I think both parties will shake hands.

There's an old saying Stav....loose lips sink ships......at least I think that was the old saying.....and I'm no spring chicken......lol.

:) :)

All I will say is that I do hear some interesting things........particularly leading up to the game in Brissy and while in Brissy......it's amazing how people start singing like a canary when you top their glass up......

:):)

But all that can change in a blink.

Anyway......my understanding like yours is that Josh's family have strong links to the HFC....in what capacity I don't know.

I'd like to think they have that and more with the Saints as their son is playing for us.

Like everyone.....it will be absolutely fascinating to see what the final result is.

This topic has been "done to death" on here but it's all up to Josh now.

You would hope the club has a fair and generous offer in front of him.
I know exactly what you are saying. The industry isn’t exactly secretive about stuff. Talk to the right people. Right setting and you’ll get anything you want out of them.

But I’m still thinking what I was told in June is spot on. Club is preparing for him to walk.

Want him to stay. Trying to convince him to stay.

It’s funny but there is a clip from an interview last week with Jeremy Cameron floating around talking about free agency and his move to Geelong.

Openly talks about the fact he met with Collingwood… only because he was a fan growing up.

Unfortunately this shit has pull for players - even if people don’t want to believe it

Perhaps Tim Membrey's 5 goals on the weekend can garner outside interest? I don't think that we will be counting on that output anymore.

But just wondering. I know it is too late and all...but how much has the loss of Jade Gresham hurt us this year, with Crouch down and Ross in the seconds, Hunter far from being a dominant, Windy down etc.

I know many fans thought Gresh as a forward, then as a mid, then as forward, then mid and finally as a forward again..so it is confusing. In the end, I sense a mild disappointment at Essendon, but not altogether a dud either.

Perhaps Tim Membrey's 5 goals on the weekend can garner outside interest? I don't think that we will be counting on that output anymore.

But just wondering. I know it is too late and all...but how much has the loss of Jade Gresham hurt us this year, with Crouch down and Ross in the seconds, Hunter far from being a dominant, Windy down etc.

I know many fans thought Gresh as a forward, then as a mid, then as forward, then mid and finally as a forward again..so it is confusing. In the end, I sense a mild disappointment at Essendon, but not altogether a dud either.
Have you seen Gresham this year?

He has been pretty poor outside of a hot start to the season.

Those injuries killed the player he was.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back